PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lean mostly towards a Garmin Inreach or similar just because it seems a bit more versatile.
There are pros and cons. I like the full power of a 5 watt PLB, but it's a personal choice.
Especially for electronics, where I've seen far too many failures from just a little bit of water.
Yep, but PLBs are ok wet, just not under pressure. I don't remember about Garmin.
I wonder when someone is going to make a device rated to some depth.... even if it's say a recreational limit of 120 ft or so.
The market is just not big enough to keep the cost down, as there so many other buyers who don't need that.
backpacking, kayaking, travel, mountain biking, flying GA
I don't know what flying GA is, but add farmers, ranchers, etc.
wouldn't it be cool to have at least some of the most basic inreach type communication bolted onto the ACR AIS device? To be able to communicate the nature of the emergency etc if not the full deal.
Cool, yes. More expensive, yes. There is already price resistance in the $400-500 range.
SO...how long do you think before someone will make such a device that's the beast of all of these?
I don't know. Weren't we supposed to have flying cars by now? :)

Thanks for the interesting post. Good points.

The market is just not big enough to keep the cost down, as there so many other buyers who don't need that.
I don't know what flying GA is, but add farmers, ranchers, etc.
Cool, yes. More expensive, yes. There is already price resistance in the $400-500 range.
flying GA...is General Aviation.... private aircraft...usually in the context of little single engine propeller planes
yep..farming is a good one.
also add snow skiing, fishing, RV camping, offroad motorcycling, and on an on and on....

yeah, that's always the dig I suppose...what the manufacturers perceive the market to be.
and the price resistance
that price resistance though is part of my frustration though. For someone that has more than need.... several activities form that long list..... which I assume many of us fit into that category
I can in pretty short order justify $400-$500 for a single device that I can use for multiple situations....
but to spend that $ for a device I will only use for SCUBA
and then spend that same $ amount again for a different device that will be used for everything else I can imagine it for
THAT is kinda hard to justify for the wife's approval!
so I guess most folks will end up with something is better than nothing but certainly not the best tool for the job.....
and then we put into a makeshift container and hope it doesn't flood!

flying GA...is General Aviation.... private aircraft
Ah, Ok, thanks.
but to spend that $ for a device I will only use for SCUBA
The Nautilus is only good for Scuba I think. PLBs and Garmin Inreach go anywhere. My PLB is always in my car console unless I take it out for any other activity.
and then we put into a makeshift container and hope it doesn't flood!
My old canister leaked at times, but that never hurt anything. My newer one with double o-rings never leaks. Do keep spare o-rings, be sure to use silicon grease, and check it daily on a trip. I don't know of any failures.

I have one of the old McMurdo fast find. I think it’s a 220. I have tried a few things to get a waterproof and pressure proof container with no success. I’ll likely have to just pony up the cash to purchase a purpose built container.

I have one of the old McMurdo fast find. I think it’s a 220. I have tried a few things to get a waterproof and pressure proof container with no success. I’ll likely have to just pony up the cash to purchase a purpose built container.
That one is buoyant only with the pouch. I guess that you have the pouch and the unit won't fall out if fumbling with it in waves at sea? I can't tell from the photos.

The dimensions are listed as 34 x 47 x 106mm (1.34 x 1.85 x 4.17in), and there are several canisters that will hold it. I rented a McMurdo metal canister for a trip once when I couldn't find an affordable canister to buy, but it was a little heavy toting around between dives. The Custom Divers canister is listed with internal dimensions of 61 x 115mm (Dia x H) so it sounds like it'd be a snug fit with pouch. The Wicked canister is larger at 7 x 4 x 4 inches if you wanted to stuff a foil blanket inside, but that could be carried in a BC pocket as well. The DRYFOB that Jaan sells is 4.80” (122 mm) by 2.75” (70 mm). Those are all affordable choices.

As an alternative to the nautilus lifeline radio, we started using a marine radio that fits in a XL size Dryfob canister. Works great for when your boat does not see you when you surface after dive. Open canister up, remove radio (Horizon hx40) and call boat. We can get 4-5 miles range easily with this radio. Total cost with radio and canister around $210. I put a fishing swivel on the lid and body so you dont lose cap when on surface. Attachment and Usage Tips from DRYFOB Customers - DRYFOB

The Horizon hx40 fits perfect inside. You just have to remove antennae which is no big deal. Easy to attach on the surface. The radio is waterproof too to 1 metre.
Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

IMAG0784[15721].jpg

. I put a fishing swivel on the lid and body so you dont lose cap when on surface.

A great option and a nice tip for attachment to the lid with the fishing swivel.

Reactions: JFS
Last weekend we had a good weather with us and I went to Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary with Fling Charters to test the fun pops. They all hold the pressure at depth (91 fsw) just fine.
Just read through this whole thread... One idea that could be an interesting alternative to funpops would be to use energy gels that cyclists/runners use like these. They would serve the dual purpose of some hydration and also calories.

I put a fishing swivel on the lid and body so you dont lose cap when on surface. Attachment and Usage Tips from DRYFOB Customers - DRYFOB
What sort of glue/tape did you use on the internal lid? Considering something similar for the Wicked cannister so I can attach the two halves and also the PLB itself.

Just read through this whole thread... One idea that could be an interesting alternative to funpops would be to use energy gels that cyclists/runners use like these. They would serve the dual purpose of some hydration and also calories.

What sort of glue/tape did you use on the internal lid? Considering something similar for the Wicked cannister so I can attach the two halves and also the PLB itself.
I just used some velcro. It has a real sticky back and attaches well. Something like duct tape may not last long but the velcro stuff has good sticky backing. Iused it on both sides.

I just used some velcro tape I had. It has a real sticky back and meant to hold.

Attachments

• IMAG0963.jpg
    IMAG0963.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0965.jpg
    IMAG0965.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0964.jpg
    IMAG0964.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back