Can the prior experience of your instructor save your life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicaltrader

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I received my basic training in 1974. Our class had two instructors, both former Navy salvage divers.
Of course they peppered the class work with tales of derring do and we ate it up.
In pool sessions they stressed practicing skills with eyes closed since visibility might not be perfect every dive. Interestingly, this is a
great tool for getting stress under control. Most uncontrolled issues lead to hyperventilating so relax and close your eyes. Focus on the breathing first, everything will follow.
But it was in the classroom where my story begins.

Picture this; just married, out on the river with my beautiful wife and family water skiing. It was a jet boat so of course it sucked up a bunch of river grass that needed cleaning out.
Macho man jumps in the water and starts pulling grass from the intake. Time for a breath but it was too far to the surface with my hand still in the intake. No problem, just remove hand right?
That is when I discovered my shiny new wedding band was hung up on the intake grill.
My nose was under by three or four inches. I could see my wife sitting on the transom. I knew I was going to drown so of course I panicked.
I began jerking my arm violently but couldn't free my hand.
I took a final look at my wife of several weeks. This was it, I wasn't going to make it.
Then something I heard in class from the instructors entered my mind. "If your hand ever gets caught, push it back in, rotate it and try again."

To this day I know that that simple comment saved my life. So in my mind the prior experiences of your instructor can save your life...if you pay attention and listen in class.
To quote the world's oldest diver, "Diving is not dangerous, it's hazardous."
So do your part...listen up, train up, know when to abort, don't become a statistic.

I absolutely agree. I was solo diving in about 30 feet of water and spear fishing off my boat. My captain was keeping an eye on me, btw. I was working on my ability to string fish without flinching when a moray came right up on my hand. I remembered the advice I was given that morays are basically big cowards and to just smack them in the head. I instinctively did that with the spear gun and he scampered off. I also admit to doing a girlie scream when I saw him. I know it wasn't life threatening, but with the nasty bacteria in their mouths, I could have been injured badly.

I have often experienced and heard of the words of an instructor or mentor coming to mind in times of distress. Stop, Think, Act.

I'm happy to hear you got out of that jam unscathed, good job.

Pete

Those who can get panic under control and THINK are the ones who survive bad situations- it must be nice to know that you are one of those people.

Number 1.... Hopefully you'll not short change yourself during training. After OW training, practice what you learned and do refreshers...

I like to believe and feel that my students benefit from my lifes diving experiences and that's one of the reasons they hire me.

I tell my students, an emergency is not an emergency til it's an emergency .... and that's not the time to try to remember what you were taught... Just do it !

...it has worked for me, most recently to save a drowning diver this past Jan.

Honestly, every time I am in a situation I am unsure of in the water, I really do think of my diving instructor and think of what he would tell me. Gives me confidence and control every time. It's good to remember your skills and such. It's great to have someone who made such a positive impact that you remember their words.I'm glad you made it out ok.

I received my basic training in 1974. Our class had two instructors, both former Navy salvage divers.
Of course they peppered the class work with tales of derring do and we ate it up.
In pool sessions they stressed practicing skills with eyes closed since visibility might not be perfect every dive. Interestingly, this is a
great tool for getting stress under control. Most uncontrolled issues lead to hyperventilating so relax and close your eyes. Focus on the breathing first, everything will follow.
But it was in the classroom where my story begins.

Picture this; just married, out on the river with my beautiful wife and family water skiing. It was a jet boat so of course it sucked up a bunch of river grass that needed cleaning out.
Macho man jumps in the water and starts pulling grass from the intake. Time for a breath but it was too far to the surface with my hand still in the intake. No problem, just remove hand right?
That is when I discovered my shiny new wedding band was hung up on the intake grill.
My nose was under by three or four inches. I could see my wife sitting on the transom. I knew I was going to drown so of course I panicked.
I began jerking my arm violently but couldn't free my hand.
I took a final look at my wife of several weeks. This was it, I wasn't going to make it.
Then something I heard in class from the instructors entered my mind. "If your hand ever gets caught, push it back in, rotate it and try again."

To this day I know that that simple comment saved my life. So in my mind the prior experiences of your instructor can save your life...if you pay attention and listen in class.
To quote the world's oldest diver, "Diving is not dangerous, it's hazardous."
So do your part...listen up, train up, know when to abort, don't become a statistic.

The simple answer is of course! Since when do you find all the answers in books or training?

Thanks for the phrase "Diving is not dangerous, it's hazardous." I think that will bring a lot of my writing and public appearances into better focus, stressing safety, prevention, and fun. I love hearing and reading experiences of other divers, from which I learn something almost every day. Remembering and retaining, that is harder.
DivemasterDennis

For clarification the quote I used must be credited to the rightful person.
The actual quote is "Diving isn't a dangerous sport; it is a hazardous sport, and my goal is to avoid the hazards".
This from Norman Lancefield, 91.
This appeared in Scuba Diving Nov/Dec 2011 issue under the title, What it's like to be the world's oldest diver.

The average person learns from their mistakes. The smart person learns from other peoples mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom