Cool stuff your instructor did in your Advanced course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiegoaes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am conducting some research on Advanced courses (or the NAUI Master Diver course) and what activities an instructor can do to spice the class up a bit. Was there anything that your instructor did during the class that you thought was really cool?

A few examples:

During the Navigation exercises, we typically have envelopes sealed in plastic zip lock bags. A small fishing weight is put inside the bag. Inside the envelope is a playing card. The envelope prevents the person from knowing which card is inside.

A navigation course is layed out ahead of time on the bottom, usually a triangle and rectangle pattern for the Adv course. For each leg of the course that a student gets correct, they get to pick up an envelope. At the end of the dive, usually students would get 5-6 cards sealed in envelopes, again still not knowing what cards they picked up.

During the debrief, you play poker. Whoever gets the highest card wins. The instructor gives a prize (usually a Scuba tool or save a dive kit) to the winner.

I have used pirate treasure boxes in the past for search and recovery. Had the students rescue plastic skeletons in dive gear for Public Safety Diver / Rescue programs.

What things have your instructors done in the past to zazz up your courses????

I also do a big emphasis on sustainability and ecology. Almost every session is a "leave it better than you found it" exercise. I bring trash bags and we walk the area during or after debrief, picking up trash to keep the area cleaner than before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom