PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just used some velcro. It has a real sticky back and attaches well. Something like duct tape may not last long but the velcro stuff has good sticky backing. Iused it on both sides.

I just used some velcro tape I had. It has a real sticky back and meant to hold.
Look at how I attached the swivel to the velcro. I just put a little hole and pushed out a bit of the swivel through it so it's kinda attached rather than just covered in tape. Do that to both swivels. That way it won't just get pulled out.attach the swivel to the velcro tape before you stick it down.

Attachments

• IMAG0966.jpg
    IMAG0966.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 73
Look at how I attached the swivel to the velcro. I just put a little hole and pushed out a bit of the swivel through it so it's kinda attached rather than just covered in tape. Do that to both swivels. That way it won't just get pulled out.attach the swivel to the velcro tape before you stick it down.

We’ve also seen people use sticky circular adhesive pads on the DRYFOB lid.
Should also work on other devices.
The Velcro swivel is a great idea :)

Attachments

• 57247FAC-6BB4-42AE-A0EB-751CBA104AA6.jpeg
    57247FAC-6BB4-42AE-A0EB-751CBA104AA6.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 66
Following up on this thread having now dived the Wicked canister to 62fsw 4x. Absolutely bone dry and no problems opening it. I screwed it down to snug and then backed off it off by maybe 20º of rotation. I also silicon greased the O-rings prior to diving it (just the first time and then left it shut). I rinsed the cannister off and left it to soak after my dives and was interested to learn that the cannister itself (with the ACR ResQLink View, space blanket, manual and cord) is slightly positively buoyant. So in the event of worst case scenario and dropping it when trying to effect a rescue you would at least have a shot at recovery. Not sure if that would be the case with the webbing holster included or not...

For attaching the PLB to the top of the canister (decided I don't care if I lose the bottom of the canister while effecting a rescue in open ocean). I attached a small D-ring to the inside top of the canister using waterproof duct tape that I put a single-ender on, then tied the actual PLB to the small D-ring. My plan in an emergency would be to remove canister from BCD pouch, open it, clip off the canister to my BCD D-ring, then open the canister, pull out the PLB and at all times I'm now tethered to it.

The canister really isn't that big and sits comfortably in the pocket of my BCD that I reserve for "oh crap" moments. Now that I know it's waterproof and that I can open it I will probably just leave it in there other than a bi-annual test to make sure it still turns on and tests correctly.

A few pictures for folks:

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Now that I know it's waterproof and that I can open it I will probably just leave it in there other than a bi-annual test to make sure it still turns on and tests correctly.
I had a canister leak on me once, enough that after a week of 2/day diving, it got pretty full. The PLB was ok as pressure didn't build up inside, but I couldn't open it. It took two of us. Then I started opening it daily to make sure I could and there were no problems.

Saw the DryFob at Divers Direct. Love seeing the local ingenuity in retail stores!

Saw the DryFob at Divers Direct. Love seeing the local ingenuity in retail stores!
It's nice to see more choices, but I am not a fan of metal canisters. The largest is 4.8"x2.75". Is that big enough for a PLB? I wonder what it means by Height: 5051 inches (140mm)?

It's nice to see more choices, but I am not a fan of metal canisters. The largest is 4.8"x2.75". Is that big enough for a PLB? I wonder what it means by Height: 5051 inches (140mm)?
What is your issue with metal cannisters? The Dry Fob XL is awesome - fits my ACR ResQLink View with a wrist strap and extendable lanyard clip and still some room to spare:

IMG_7073.jpeg

IMG_7074.jpeg

IMG_7075.jpeg

Make your own custom canister!

@DandyDon look at this ...
An interesting comment on the main thread about using a 1" longer XL as a replacement for a light canister for a long hose
Would love to hear other application ideas.

As for the size, we've already heard from one disappointed ACR PLB Aqualink owner, and I know that some RescueMe owners were hoping for smaller and narrower. Not currently planning additional sizes but will continue to gather feedback.

Also wanted to list some models with their sizes that we believe would fit from information gathered.
If anyone has corrections or other popular devices not listed please let me know and I can update.

Will Fit
ACR ResQLink (Various Models) 4.25 x 2.03 x 1.49 inches
ACR PLB-375 ResQLink 3.9 x 1.9 x 1.3 inches
ACR Artex 3 x 2.1 x 1.3 inches
McMurdo PLB Fast Find 220 4.17 x 1.85 x 1.34 inches
Micro PLB 4.75 x 2.3 x 1.1 inches
PLB OCEAN SIGNAL PLB1 2 x 3 x 1.32 inches
PLB Rescue Me 3 x 2.1 x 1.3 inches

Will NOT fit
ACR PLB Aqualink 5.8 x 2.3 x 1.45 inches (No Longer Manufactured)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom