PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently own the HDVSEATEK, the Custom/Wicked, and the DryFob-XL for my PLB. The DryFob is the best of the lot for handling. My next PLB will be the new ACR AIS unit, I will buy the new DryFob for it when it comes out. I will then put all the others (including my Nautilus LifeLine) on the used market. I'm keeping my old original Nautilus Radio for the VHF comms.
I use a Light Monkey case. It uses two clips to seal and open. Easiest I've ever used. No rotational effort whatsoever. Lid is secured to the body with stainless wire. Best case - also most expensive unfortunately.

You guys figure this may be popular enough to warrant making an aluminum canister (likely $100) for it?
Please DM me if you'd want one ... just toying with the idea (for now).
Potentially interested maybe. Was thinking of making one that uses a "lock cord" retention with a loop that is easy to pull with gloved hands in an emegency. No Latches to snag things or threads to jam. Like this: Spare Locking Cord and Handles

Potentially interested maybe. Was thinking of making one that uses a "lock cord" retention with a loop that is easy to pull with gloved hands in an emegency. No Latches to snag things or threads to jam. Like this: Spare Locking Cord and Handles
Interesting .. A lot of divers like the idea of the clear window, locking feature is also neat.
Some might still prefer a ready to use canister .vs. making one but it looks like a good option.

Yes. It's the pressure differential after a dive that makes it really hard to open.
My HDVSEATEK was challenging after leaking. I hadn't opened it all week of diving and the differential had built up. Of course, a PLB is worthless if you can't open it. Now I open and check every day of diving.

Ok, I was just digging into this new ACR PLB-450 unit a bit more.

This new PLB/AIS is NOT BUOYANT and IMO requires a buoyancy pouch (P/N: 9649 - which is not findable by me as an ACR product yet).

This seems to be very tailored to use while mounted to a life vest. I am uncertain if there is a "safe/secure" included way to mount the deployed unit to a typical BC. The previous 4xx series unit had clips (moderately secure) and moulded-in velco-strap mounts (secure and of trivial profile). According to the manual (https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq9s9by34xubx6v/912S-03765 PLB-450 User Manual v01.00 ENG.pdf?dl=1) this has a "Belt/Webbing Attachment Bracket" but there are no specs on what it will accept. There is also a vague drawing of the flotation pouch that gives no indication if there is a way of adding appropriate securing equipment for deployment, or even if it is usable without removing it from the flotation pouch.

In considering a new housing, sufficient space for the pouch and secure mounting equipment should be accounted for.

ETA: i noticed something with another pass throught the manual. In certain southern-hemisphere markets, the pouch is permanently attached, so I think we can reasonably assume that it is usable while in or at least attached to the pouch somehow. But I guess that could just be out of the pouch with the pictured lanyard connected.

Ok, I was just digging into this new ACR PLB-450 unit a bit more.

This new PLB/AIS is NOT BUOYANT and IMO requires a buoyancy pouch (P/N: 9649 - which is not findable by me as an ACR product yet).

This seems to be very tailored to use while mounted to a life vest. I am uncertain if there is a "safe/secure" included way to mount the deployed unit to a typical BC. The previous 4xx series unit had clips (moderately secure) and moulded-in velco-strap mounts (secure and of trivial profile). According to the manual (https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq9s9by34xubx6v/912S-03765 PLB-450 User Manual v01.00 ENG.pdf?dl=1) this has a "Belt/Webbing Attachment Bracket" but there are no specs on what it will accept. There is also a vague drawing of the flotation pouch that gives no indication if there is a way of adding appropriate securing equipment for deployment, or even if it is usable without removing it from the flotation pouch.

In considering a new housing, sufficient space for the pouch and secure mounting equipment should be accounted for.

ETA: i noticed something with another pass throught the manual. In certain southern-hemisphere markets, the pouch is permanently attached, so I think we can reasonably assume that it is usable while in or at least attached to the pouch somehow. But I guess that could just be out of the pouch with the pictured lanyard connected.
Agreed. Any new canister needs to allow for the flotation pouch....which is not apparently available yet.

I've been on the fence for a long time about getting a "locator device". I used to do a lot of different thaings that would have warranted such devices and I've long thought that this will be one of my first purchases if I ever get back into any of these hobbies....Lean mostly towards a Garmin Inreach or similar just because it seems a bit more versatile... I mean not just diving, but other things too....backpacking, kayaking, travel, mountain biking, flying GA, etc...

regardless, whichever device...this need for a canister for SCUBA has been a thorn every time I consider it. Especially for electronics, where I've seen far too many failures from just a little bit of water...but With most things I'm a believer in the belt and suspenders approach.... that two is one and one is none.
so
in my thinking for SCUBA, the device itself should itself be waterproof at least to some reasonable depth so that when it's stashed in a container a diver has two levels of protection for their expensive and important device.

I wonder when someone is going to make a device rated to some depth.... even if it's say a recreational limit of 120 ft or so....that would be something good at least for most divers!
and while they are at at
wouldn't it be cool to have at least some of the most basic inreach type communication bolted onto the ACR AIS device? To be able to communicate the nature of the emergency etc if not the full deal.
SO...how long do you think before someone will make such a device that's the beast of all of these? With the little ACR AIS device it's pretty close

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom