PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And just like that, there is a fancy new PLB that can connect to a smart phone...

This looks great. Don't care about smart phone connectivity but I do like that the form factor would easily fit in a housing made of pipe.

The news is both Satellite & AIS in one device! No longer need to buy/carry a PLB and a Nautilus. RLS is also very comforting. The phone integration in pretty cool for maintainance/diagnostics/etc.
JD had a good point.
This looks great. Don't care about smart phone connectivity but I do like that the form factor would easily fit in a housing made of pipe.

Reactions: OTF
Was going to check with REI which sell ACR/ARTEX PLB's. This since I noticed that ACR maybe bought the rights, maybe not, but is selling the PLB1 which they have a web page link back Ocean Systems for some info.

If REI is still selling PLB1 or maybe that new thing you could poke out an eye with, but has 3 freq and other bells and whistles, I'd like to see how it is in person. I know I could take off wetsuit gloves to get the unit out of a dry depth container, but I just got dry gloves on my CF200 Drysuit. I have the orange more dexterity gloves which could help. Not sure if a PLB could be in a store that is a display. I mean one that you could put your hands on and try, but does not transmit. Then you could know better about a purchase.

As far as a display on any of these things, the screen is small and mostly only on land using a high speed camera could I see what flashes and is gone. Leds are good enough for me. The 406 Link I had used just once with the ResQLink 400 and then they could not get it working for me. The unit is fine for test and hopefully emergency too. Just the thing with email and text was never rectified for me. Buying another unit is not a priority. The depth 10 meters for 1 hour spec on the new ResQLink AIS sounds good. But I would still want a clear case to have it on scuba.

Down side is that at almost 8" long it isn't going to fit in anybody's current pressure-proof housing, except maybe a old mondo battery cannister. Upside is at < 1.5" dia. tubing for fabrication should be readily available.
You guys figure this may be popular enough to warrant making an aluminum canister (likely $100) for it?
Please DM me if you'd want one ... just toying with the idea (for now).

You guys figure this may be popular enough to warrant making an aluminum canister (likely $100) for it?
Count me in.

WICKED PLB Dive Safety Canister 125M (410 ft.) https://a.co/d/bhRCFaz

It's not aluminum but this is what I use to carry my plb.

I currently own the HDVSEATEK, the Custom/Wicked, and the DryFob-XL for my PLB. The DryFob is the best of the lot for handling. My next PLB will be the new ACR AIS unit, I will buy the new DryFob for it when it comes out. I will then put all the others (including my Nautilus LifeLine) on the used market. I'm keeping my old original Nautilus Radio for the VHF comms.

Back
Top Bottom