PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've had a few interested parties ask about PLB containers since the DRYFOB car key container came out, just wanted to share that our PLB container is available and supports all popular PLB models. Available at https://dryfob.com/shop/ Expect to be shipping this week.
Impressive unit, nice price.
Apologies if it’s been hashed over but my search-fu is weak. What’s the general consensus on the Garmin In-reach mini? Size is attractive and looks like the newer one can be activated with a descent watch instead of needing to be taken out of the housing.
I've not used one so I can't comment from experience. It has been discussed in this thread and searching for comments is easy...
  1. Click the magnifying glass at the top.
  2. Insert Garmin in the box.
  3. Toggle to This thread in that box.
  4. Click Search.
I don't think you will find it as beneficial.

Impressive unit, nice price.

I've not used one so I can't comment from experience. It has been discussed in this thread and searching for comments is easy...
  1. Click the magnifying glass at the top.
  2. Insert Garmin in the box.
  3. Toggle to This thread in that box.
  4. Click Search.
I don't think you will find it as beneficial.

Hmm, personally don’t like the sites internal search tools normally use “search_term site:scubaboard.com” in google as its normally far more reliable and responsive than the internal one. Must not have indexed this thread or didn’t see it in the search results. But I’ll take a look and see what was mentioned before, thanks!

Hmm, personally don’t like the sites internal search tools normally use “search_term site:scubaboard.com” in google as its normally far more reliable and responsive than the internal one. Must not have indexed this thread or didn’t see it in the search results. But I’ll take a look and see what was mentioned before, thanks!
If you want to search the entire site, go for it. The steps I gave will show hits in this thread with comments on how the Garmin compares which would directly answer your question.

This DRYFOB for PLB's sounds like something I have been waiting for.
A few questions:
1. Country of Origin?
2, The Warranty Policy states 90 Days and also 12 months?
3. Do you have photos with a PLB inside the DRYFOB?
Hi Gamechanger. Thanks for the questions.

We designed them, and assemble and ship them from Miami. We have the canister machined to our specs in China. It is T6061 anodized aluminum, and solid. We inspect and assemble each one ourselves.

Warranty for defects 12 months, return for full refund no questions asked within 90 days. I'll try and get that clarified.

All the popular PLB models should fit into the 70mm x 122mm ... lots of drawings of rectangles fitting in a 70mm round hole :)

PLB Rescue Me 3 x 2.1 x 1.3 inches
Artex 3 x 2.1 x 1.3 inches;
McMurdo PLB Fast Find 220 4.17 x 1.85 x 1.34
acr ResQLink 400 4.25 x 2.03 x 1.49 inches
ACR PLB 425 4.25 x 2.03 x 1.49
ACR PLB 375 ResQLink 4.5 x 1.9 x 1.6
Micro PLB 4.75 x 2.3 x 1.1
PLB OCEAN SIGNLAL PLB1 2 x 3 x 1 5/16th

Exception is the ACR PLB Aqualink 5.8 x 2.3 x 1.45 which will be too long but I think it's no Longer Manufactured. A compromise to keep the canister smaller.

1655742055354.png

Apologies if it’s been hashed over but my search-fu is weak. What’s the general consensus on the Garmin In-reach mini? Size is attractive and looks like the newer one can be activated with a descent watch instead of needing to be taken out of the housing.
I don't know what the consensus is, but I started carrying one this year.

The only feature I've used so far is to turn on tracking before I get underway. My wife can monitor my position and movements from home. She likes knowing where I am, when it looks like I'm on the way home, and where to send the Coast Guard if I'm overdue. She feels better with me carrying it, and that's good enough for me.

Remember to test your PLB’s. Got a new sticker from NOAA for my ACR ResQLink 400 figured it was a good time to press the test button. I honestly can’t tell the last time I did. The thing was dead, nothing. Called ACR they had me send it in. Yesterday I got a replacement. No explanation on what was found. I will certainly test it more frequently moving forward.

Remember to test your PLB’s. Got a new sticker from NOAA for my ACR ResQLink 400 figured it was a good time to press the test button. I honestly can’t tell the last time I did. The thing was dead, nothing. Called ACR they had me send it in. Yesterday I got a replacement. No explication on what was found. I will certainly test it more frequently moving forward.
The test button is not covered on the PLB I have. Only the red rescue alert button gets cover by default when the flexible antenna it wrapped in closed position. I have my PLB in another waterproof Pelican or other brand case. It is padded / shimmed to have the PLB inside with test button away from anything that could depress that button.

On the other hand, a more simple cover over the test button with some plastic part and held in place with tape could do that same effect.

When I heard of people stuffing a PLB in a back pack and finding it would not work when in an emergency, I thought of this.

The extra waterproofing with another case is not meant for scuba diving, but for my windsurfing. I would not trust JIS 7 or something rating for a fall off a board into the water at 25mph. Other threads on SB have product meant for diving and bringing along a PLB.

The smaller a container that is not clear so you can see if the PLB might rattle around inside turning on an uncovered test button, is a concern. This could if that is what happened, explain a dead battery possibly.

PLB1 comes with a button cover protection. So I thought all I need to do is to put it a soft case that is rated for 100 fsw (30 maw) would be good enough to take it for diving. However, as you see in the picture below, at 104 fsw the red turned on. Apparently the crushing pressure at 104 fsw is enough to flex the PLB1 housing & press the red button.

C496839D-A67C-4B4B-8FDA-700AF5A8967D.jpeg

You need to put it in a hard case like this one, below. I have tested it down to 144 fsw (44 msw) w/o any problem for the last 6 years. It’s time for battery replacement in 2024 (7th year of service).

610E13A4-DFC1-4823-8578-8D62B2BBCAC2.jpeg

PLB1 comes with a button cover protection. So I thought all I need to do is to put it a soft case that is rated for 100 fsw (30 maw) would be good enough to take it for diving. However, as you see in the picture below, at 104 fsw the red turned on. Apparently the crushing pressure at 104 fsw is enough to flex the PLB1 housing & press the red button.

View attachment 768142

You need to put it in a hard case like this one, below. I have tested it down to 144 fsw (44 msw) w/o any problem for the last 6 years. It’s time for battery replacement in 2024 (7th year of service).

View attachment 768143
What is make of the waterproof / clear container? I would be interested if the same container is available in a larger size too.

I really like the idea of a clear container... Or at least a clear lid or "window" to confirm that all is well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom