PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been trying to find a PLB with RLS that I could use but didn’t find one.

For example if I search for the ResQ 410, I get no results in google shopping

(I get only link to buy the older models)
This is a guess, but since RLS is not approved in the US, then the company may deem the 410 insufficiently rewarding to manufacture and market. Enemies of the company or the US could use such a marketing program against us. "If it's not worthy to their own citizens, why do they offer it to others?" Why RLS is not approved in the US is a mystery.

This is a guess, but since RLS is not approved in the US, then the company may deem the 410 insufficiently rewarding to manufacture and market. Enemies of the company or the US could use such a marketing program against us. "If it's not worthy to their own citizens, why do they offer it to others?" Why RLS is not approved in the US is a mystery.
I guess that would be a good argument.

I just want to buy a PLB with RLS since there is no point buying one without it unless you want it now, but didn’t find one that seems to be popular with scuba divers.

Wondering if the US is behind the times in implementing this new techology...

For some reason, NOAA has not approved RLS here.
NOAA doesn't want just colored lights on the units. They want a text msg readout because they think injured people freaking out will not understand there's a difference between "Msg Received" versus "Help is dispatched". With RLS you can get "Msg Rec'd" but there is still no help coming to you so you're still screwed & bobbing in the water / bottom of a ravine. IMHO>Galileo Global Navigation side stepped NOAA for approval cause it was taking too long. Now NOAA is working on Gen 3 Epribs which will have multiple back and forth messages and will leap-frog RLS.

Now NOAA is working on Gen 3 Epribs which will have multiple back and forth messages and will leap-frog RLS.
That would help deal with the 90% of alerts received that were butt-dials.

I think @BlueTrin is in UK.

I think @BlueTrin is in UK.
I understand that, but ACR and other PLB companies aren't likely to produce and market a unit not approved in the US.

I just want to buy a PLB with RLS
Have you checked with ACR dealers over there? I am not so sure that they are not producing it actually. Maybe they are for sale there?

Otherwise, McMurdo has developed one that is supposed to be available last December. Not buoyant so you would want to secure it to the buoyant pouch so it couldn't sink. World’s First RLS Enabled Distress Beacon Receives EU Approval – Seas of Solutions Order it here or other sites. https://osat.com/fastfind-returnlink-plb

Have you checked with ACR dealers over there? I am not so sure that they are not producing it actually. Maybe they are for sale there?

Otherwise, McMurdo has developed one that is supposed to be available last December. Not buoyant so you would want to secure it to the buoyant pouch so it couldn't sink. World’s First RLS Enabled Distress Beacon Receives EU Approval – Seas of Solutions Order it here or other sites. https://osat.com/fastfind-returnlink-plb
Thanks I am a bit clumsy with my hands so I’ll definitely go for a buoyant model and slightly waterproof in case I drop it at the surface when getting out of a canister.

I’ll email ACR and report about the availability of the 410: I had used their store locator but it didn’t see any shop. Maybe they prepared their website for a future launch in advance.

Back
Top Bottom