PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And just like that, there is a fancy new PLB that can connect to a smart phone...

And just like that, there is a fancy new PLB that can connect to a smart phone...

The news is both Satellite & AIS in one device! No longer need to buy/carry a PLB and a Nautilus. RLS is also very comforting. The phone integration in pretty cool for maintainance/diagnostics/etc.

Down side is that at almost 8" long it isn't going to fit in anybody's current pressure-proof housing, except maybe a old mondo battery cannister. Upside is at < 1.5" dia. tubing for fabrication should be readily available.

Down side is that at almost 8" long it isn't going to fit in anybody's current pressure-proof housing, except maybe a old mondo battery cannister. Upside is at < 1.5" dia. tubing for fabrication should be readily available.
Yeah, it's a new shape. It could fit an old camera housing diagonally if the hypotenuse is great enough. It'd be nice if ACR would produce one for $100.

So I currently have a Nautilus Lifeline that's the older version that actually has the integrated VHF radio. It's compact, fully waterproof and fairly compact and easy to clip to by BC for easy access. I love the radio option to be able to communicate with either my own boat or nearby boats....... but it's still NOT a fully GPS enabled send the cavalry PLB.

My main issue with the PLB cannisters is that are a bit on the bulky side. Sure would be nice if the PLB folks just used similar tech to the Nautilus to make a diveable unit.

Anyway.........I'm actually thinking about buying the Dryfob PLB canister and then using a harness / mount (see pic below) that will allow me to attach the PLB canister to the Port side of my tank attached to the upper the tank strap and opposite my 19cf back mounted pony. This would keep it completely out of the way....... and I would then basically have both the PLB and the Lifeline as options.

Now before the typical naysayers log-in with their issues....... I completely and fully understand that in that proposed location for the PLB.... and if I was solo, it would be necessary for me to inflate and doff my rig on the surface to get to it.......and that's not optimal... but it is an option that I'm considering. I still would have easy access to my Nautilus...

The other thing I like about this potential location for the PLB canister is that when shore diving in Bonaire (which I visit pretty much once a year) is that I can use the PLB canister to stow cash, credit card, truck keys, and maybe even my Maui Jims while diving..

Mq7DPL2.jpg

E4pe7IT.jpg

khMN15G.jpg

DawvokH.jpg

What is make of the waterproof / clear container? I would be interested if the same container is available in a larger size too.
It’s made out of acrylic cylinder with polyethylene (PE) lid to avoid thread galling / locking up as PE is softer than acrylic.

Another trick to keep the lid from locking up, is to put the PLB1 in the case in a cool cabin room, colder than the outside temperature where you would be diving. So when the air inside the case gets warmer by the outside temperature during the dive, pressure inside the case would be slightly above the atmospheric pressure. If you put the PLB1 in the case under an outside hot sunny day, the cooler water temperature would create a slight vacuum in the case and you’d have problem to unscrew the lid. Think about the air would expand with increasing temperature (and vise versa, air would contract with decreasing temperature).

The case is custom made. I sized & sketched it then sent the drawing to a plastic machining company to build one for me. I think it costed $135 at the time.

I also made a larger one as shown below and sold it at cost to one of my dive buddies.

If you need one like that, just send me a direct message so I can post my drawing & the address of the plastic machine shop.

C62EF292-BF73-443B-837A-21F8DBB8F7EB.jpeg

So I currently have a Nautilus Lifeline that's the older version that actually has the integrated VHF radio. It's compact, fully waterproof and fairly compact and easy to clip to by BC for easy access. I love the radio option to be able to communicate with either my own boat or nearby boats....... but it's still NOT a fully GPS enabled send the cavalry PLB.

My main issue with the PLB cannisters is that are a bit on the bulky side. Sure would be nice if the PLB folks just used similar tech to the Nautilus to make a diveable unit.

Anyway.........I'm actually thinking about buying the Dryfob PLB canister and then using a harness / mount (see pic below) that will allow me to attach the PLB canister to the Port side of my tank attached to the upper the tank strap and opposite my 19cf back mounted pony. This would keep it completely out of the way....... and I would then basically have both the PLB and the Lifeline as options.

Now before the typical naysayers log-in with their issues....... I completely and fully understand that in that proposed location for the PLB.... and if I was solo, it would be necessary for me to inflate and doff my rig on the surface to get to it.......and that's not optimal... but it is an option that I'm considering. I still would have easy access to my Nautilus...

I have a pair of Techline long, 3-section trim weight pockets that get back mounted "vertically". Trim weights go up top and "Lost at Sea" gear in the lower 2/3rds with tethers. And yep, if I don't have a companion when lost, I'm at least half-doffing to get it out. There are other things that I potentially need immediately on a dive and have more at-hand. The tradeoff for a low likelihood event, at the surface, that can be responded to in a measured way (minutes vs. seconds,) makes sense to me.

This would keep it completely out of the way
I used a snap bolt and cable tie to hang mine from a D-ring on my hip. It floats so it never drags and I never notice it in the way of anything.

I've decided that it's time to add some sort of locator to my kit. I'm trying to decide what one thing to get. Do I get the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS ($215), the ResQLink 400 ($360 + case cost), or get it all in one with the ResQLink AIS ($500 + case cost).

I'm thinking that spending $500 once is better than $215 + $360 if I decide I need both types of beacon. But if the Nautilus is "safe enough" then I'd rather save the money. It seems like the ResQLink units can signal the coast guard directly, and need to be registered, whereas the Nautilus simply transmits to local boat traffic? Is that the big distinction?

Since I don't know anything about these beacons, what sort of a scenario would the ResQLink units be better than the Nautilus?

406 MHz PLBs like the ResQLink 400 series transmit to a satellite network. The alert then gets transferred down to the regional SAR resources. Depending on the regional and then local structure, resource availability, and distance, it could be a good while until an actual search is in process.

AIS units like the Nautilus transmit to local boats/ships, but are limited to line of sight. The response could be much faster, if they are close enough to receive the signal and are are able/willing to conduct a rescue attempt.

If I only had to pick one, it would be the "gold standard" PLB. Both is better. A combined unit is certainly more cost effective and convenient, but is a single point of failure. For now I have both. (And an extra oversize PVC SMB tube, and a dedicated compact strobe. )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom