Photos from Sat 11-14-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy, this is the best time for good local vis. I think the fisheye is going to be bolted on for the next couple of months.

I have to get my drysuit pressure tested. I have a pinhole leak somewhere and my left leg gets wet after multiple dives-not flooded just very damp.

This might be a good weekend to do that, Robin, have you seen the wave models? Yuck! Hoping it's better for our Meet and Greet.

Sunday's currently predicted to be 9-10ft. That's not too bad, and certainly won't keep me from driving down!

9-10 ft is divable? What about with a vacation diver? I'm thinking of coming down myself both days, but not sure if I want to bring the vacation diver with me Sunday. You have more experience, what would you do?

And Kathy, I have the greatest respect for you that you can up and go anywhere the whim takes you, by yourself, without an itinerary! The free spiritedness is something to aspire to.
I love meeting new people, I love diving, having enough experience to dive with anyone, and be able to help the newer ones is a great place to be. The more diving I do, the more confident I get, not only as a diver but as a person, and I need that in my life right now. I love coming into work Monday morning, smile on my face, ready to take on the challenges of training these juniors each week. I tell you, it gets trying to answer the same questions over and over because some people can't retain the information, then I just think back to my happy place, visit scubaboard, and it all goes away. QUOTE]

:). You are just as freespirited in your own way! I would bet if given the chance you'd be out there skipping around the international scene with ease :wink:! I'm always amazed when I hop off some sort of vehicle I just caught into a small town and a rented airconditioned van with a TV pumping scuba videos shows up - out walks a string of very clean looking scuba tourists who can't even seem to pull their own luggage or decided from the 50 cafe's where to eat.

I remember the first time I went to Indo alone. I booked a room, got up in the morning, walked outside, got scared ran back in my room, where I hid gathering courage for another hour :). I did the same thing in Delhi India - it was crazy. Finally I made it outside, sat and just watched the scene till I felt I could walk a little further. At some point I realized that buildings, money, food, culture changes but most people are pretty much the same.

If you do a little bit of homework, the type of travel I do is not that much different than going to somewhere in the USA, say Key Largo. (sure there are passport check points, and money to change - but mostly the rest is not a big deal) Just a few good rules to follow for safety & and your reward for booking your own budget airfare, hailing a cab, or bouncing van with/without a door, and booking your own dive shop - is saving at least a thousand bucks & having a cool cultural experience :).

Kathy, this is the best time for good local vis. I think the fisheye is going to be bolted on for the next couple of months

Keeping my fingers crossed for low storm drama for all of us :).

Last edited:
9-10 ft is divable? What about with a vacation diver? I'm thinking of coming down myself both days, but not sure if I want to bring the vacation diver with me Sunday. You have more experience, what would you do?

It's hard to say. The swell predictions paint with a REALLY broad brush. You could easily head down and find BW/Macabee completely glassy and calm, or you could have breakers reaching up to the BW stairs. Usually when swells read above 6-8ft outside of the bay, you really have to go and see for yourself.

Since you said your friend is a vacation diver, and has never dived in cold water with a lot of exposure protection, I'd be a bit wary of this weekend, particularly if you're planning on Saturday. Potential low viz, shore waves and surge at depth may not make it as fun of a dive as he's expecting, and could potentially be an overwhelming experience. If you do go with a new diver this weekend, I'd say you should be extra-cautious of how you assess the conditions.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'll put it off till next weekend and see what conditions look like. I was hoping to see more blue on the diagram than green, yellow or orange.

You could easily head down and find BW/Macabee completely glassy and calm, or you could have breakers reaching up to the BW stairs.

And all that could happen in just a few minutes. Been there and seen that! Ankle slappers to overhead surf.

Well, I'm coming out both days, with gear, but leaving vacation diver for another time. He's here until Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom