Pescador Island & sardines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sardines around Pescador Island are amazing. I was there in July of 2009, and I talked with divers who saw them a couple of months before then. I think that they might be seasonal, but I am not sure.

We stayed at Kasai Village Resort, and we did 3 or 4 trips to Pescador Island, and saw the sardines on every trip. The dive guides from Kasai were excellent.

Here are some pics.
3706256557_a98ab377d1.jpg

3685885475_8b0091664b.jpg

3720753848_7a2c6a2287.jpg

3685799720_60fdf0c1b2.jpg

You can see from some of the photos that it is possible to get very close to the schools of sardines. When they swim around you, it is easy to get underwater vertigo (in a good way, I suppose).

Here is the full set of pics from that trip. 2009 moalboal philippines - a set on Flickr

Let me know if you have any questions.

@edpdiver, i sent you a private email.

the photos look very cool. the photos with the sardines is just what i want....

i am guessing in Moalboal that the best place to dive is at Pescador Island. Kasai Village Resort is a bit out of my price range. i am planning to stay at Tipolo Beach Resort in Moalboal.

are there other great places to dive while in Moalboal? or should i just stick to diving Pescador Island?

There are a lot of excellent dive sites around Moalboal. I would rate the Pescador dives as my favorites (not just for the sardines, either; the shallow reefs are very nice, and there are frogfish and other critters deeper). However, the other dives sites that are commonly dived were also very good, with healthy reefs and lots of critters.

I was also in Moalboal from March 1st to 4th the sardine schoal was there indeed.
I dived with Savedra excellent & professionnal operation which I can recommend anytime.

600moalboal-1.jpg

600moalboal-3.jpg

I stayed at Turtle bay dive resort (probably the most comfortable lodging option around, beautiful settings and pool) which is a little out of Panagsama , I simply had to take a motor tricycle for a 10 mn ride to get to the dive centre.
In Panagsama, I would recommend Cabanas resort or even Savedra's beach resort.

Dive wise, there are some wall dive which are very interesting with a good guide, early in the morning (because that's when nobody wants to dive) they're teeming with macro stuff like pygmy seahorses, all sorts of nudis or shrimps.

600moalboal-4.jpg

600moalboal-5.jpg

600moalboal-6.jpg

600moalboal-7.jpg

600moalboal-8.jpg

600moalboal-9.jpg

...but to be honest the main attraction is Pescador which can dive daily without getting bored. Hardly ever seen such soft corals and colors !

600moalboal-2.jpg

@Luko

Pescador looks great....the pictures are excellent!!!

i can not wait to get there. i am flying over 1st week of May.

right now i think i am staying at Tipolo Beach Resort.....

i think the hotel is ocean view and a fair price.......

Luko,
Great Pics, Where did you shoot that Crinoid and White banded shrimp? I have not seen that. I agree Turtle Bay is probablly the nicest resort overall, the rooms, grounds and pool are very nice.

Cheers,
Roger

Bill22,

I am going to stay at Mike's Dauin Beach Resort for my Apo Island trip and in Moalboal i am going to use both your suggestions and dive with Moalboal OSP and stay at Eve's Kiosk Dive Resort - Moalboal, Philippines for the hotel.......

Thanks.:D
Nelson could well be the most experience dive operator on Moalboal.
Stayed at Eve's Kiosk twice and no complaint whatsoever.

There are better bars in PG eg. Gecko(LBC) than The Point Bar!!!!!!!!!!

Luko,
Great Pics, Where did you shoot that Crinoid and White banded shrimp? I have not seen that. I agree Turtle Bay is probablly the nicest resort overall, the rooms, grounds and pool are very nice.

Cheers,
Roger
Thanks Roger, :)
The BW shrimp inside the crinoid was on Talisay, I was fortunate enough to be the only diver on the bangka going out in the early morning dives, hence for two days in a row I asked Eusel from Savedra to go hunting for small critters : we had a ball on Talisay and Sampaguita as we could take our time! :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom