Pescador Island & sardines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seven days until I will be in Moal Boal. Any one know what the water conditions have been like?
Temp and viz?

Kevin, Water is generally calm, I have the water temp at btwn 28c at surface - and 26c at 33Meters, Vis has been a little low around 16 to 24 Meters depending on the dive site.

Saw a very nice sardine bait ball at Pescador Island yesterday. Couldtn't get any good shots though. The sardines were off the reef a bit, and into the blue. We were not too keen to go out after them, as the first two minutes of our dive we were shadowed by a six foot white tip. It just keep swimming five meters below and one
meter behind us. It was a bit unsettling. But it makes for a great bar story.
The visibility still kinda sucks though. Lots of sediment in the water. Loads of jellies
as well, but that has brought lots of turtles.
Enjoy.

thanks for the update. i will be flying to PI on the 4th of may and be in Moalboal by May 20th, i hear the diving is great from another friend of mine.

thanks.............kevinl4270

bill22,

Mike's Dauin Beach Resort looks really nice, but i am unsure where is the best place to stay?

Apo Island itself, Dumaguete or Dauin?

I do not recommend a stay on Apo Island. Dive there yes, stay there, no. The hotel is *&%$, food service is &*^%, and it's the only hotel on this tiny island. Dumaguete is OK, but far from dive spots. I stay at Dauin, there are lots of very good dive resorts and the commute to Dumaguete for shopping is easy on the jeepneys. Shop at the big new Robinsons mall there. Check out the many attractions in the area, the incredible market on Wednesday at Malatapay, the Casarora falls, the Twin Lake -- good activities if you have a non diver along.

Dauin is macro heaven. I've stayed there many times. Some day I hope to spot a Mandarin fish in the staghorn coral there, if my eyes can only see. I made a long video of a frogfish swimming near the factory pier. Great area for diving and UW photograply, and of course Apo Island is so close too, for variety.

Here are three great dive resorts in Dauin:

An American guy just opened a new dive resort, Mike's Dauin Beach Resort opened December 2009; Michael Finney is a fine host:
Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines

I also love the native style huts at Pura Vida (try it, Philippine style, western plumbing), great dive shop and the dive manager Herme and resort owner Chris are very professional (Swiss do that):
Pura Vida Beach Dive Resort Dumaguete Philippines Diving Tauchen Padi Philippinen
Pura Vida is part of the Sea Explorers group, and they sell dive packages that let you stay a few days at Dauin, transfer to say at the allied resorts in Alona or Cabilao and others - nice variety. I've been to several of their resorts and had great dives.

The food is outstanding at El Dorado (Swiss run too), superb dive shop and they give free Nitrox:
El Dorado Beach Resort in Dauin, Philippines - Find Cheap Hostels and Rooms at Hostelworld.com

Last edited:
thanks..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom