Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I just bought a brand new Perdix AI, not dived yet and I’m leaving in 3 days for a 2 week trip. It came with a battery installed (presumed at the factory as the battery info is change date of April 13 2022, 1.36 v, AA alkaline, 3 hr on time- probably from demos and me experimenting). The comments of AA alkaline batteries leaking and it being 6 months in the computer has me paranoid… should I just change it out for a fresh one?

So I just bought a brand new Perdix AI, not dived yet and I’m leaving in 3 days for a 2 week trip. It came with a battery installed (presumed at the factory as the battery info is change date of April 13 2022, 1.36 v, AA alkaline, 3 hr on time- probably from demos and me experimenting). The comments of AA alkaline batteries leaking and it being 6 months in the computer has me paranoid… should I just change it out for a fresh one?
YES

The nominal voltage of an AA alkaline battery is 1.5V. It is already low. What’s the cost of one of these batteries $1? Change it.

Change the battery. For the trip you state, at least a lithium. If you can find a real SAFT (not the easy to find junk ones) I would consider one of those.

Yes, energizer lithium.

You can get the Energizer Lithium everywhere.

Yes ... now!

I would. Not a fan of alkaline batteries at all. I'd use pretty much anything else.

The Energizer 1.5V Lithiums are a good choice. Some prefer 3.6V SAFTs. I actually prefer the 3.7V rechargeable Lithiums.
The energizers will probably be most readily available, SAFTs will probably last the longest. However, both have fairly flat discharge curves which can make it difficult for the computer to determine the remaining life of the battery. Usually with these, it's a 3 step indicator. Green, Yellow, Red.

With the 3.7V rechargeable batteries, the discharge curve is a bit more predictable, so the "Fuel Gauge" feature can be used. Instead of a 3 stage indicator, it's a continuous indicator with a graphical representative of relative remaining capacity.

According to its User Manual, the Perdix can work with a battery voltage range between 4.3 and 0.9 so you are pretty close to running out of battery. As other contributors have suggested, I would install the LS14500 Lithium SAFT, which has a nominal voltage of 3.7 and gives your about 35 hours of diving time. And, unless you are buying a rechargeable LS14500, I would buy 2 or 3 of the standard LS14500. During two weeks of diving, you might very well drain one of them.

I would. Especially before leaving on a trip. It's a simple job and then you'll know. As suggested, the Energizer Lithium is the battery to use. And keep it in your carry-on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom