Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Well, perhaps we get the better batches of AA here in Europe :) . Anyway, never had a leaking battery in remotes, clock, flashlights aso. I have to change the battery in the Perdix more often than 6 - 12 months, about every 4 months. AI on and diving in cold water certainly contribute to that.

Best wishes Jens

Another benefit to Energizer Ultimare Lithiums is longer battery life in cold water. Another long-standing recommendation from Shearwater.

Well, perhaps we get the better batches of AA here in Europe :) . Anyway, never had a leaking battery in remotes, clock, flashlights aso. I have to change the battery in the Perdix more often than 6 - 12 months, about every 4 months. AI on and diving in cold water certainly contribute to that.
Doubtful. Likely you’ve just had better luck for one reason or another.

Alkaline batteries are dirt cheap. Lithiums are a bit more expensive, but still what I’d consider to be cheap. Alkalines are known to leak, lithiums are not. There’s a reason that Shearwater no longer recommends alkaline. Alkaline used to be their recommendation.

But, it’s your computer. Won’t affect me any if your batteries leak. I’ll continue to use my lithium batteries.

Just put a SAFT into a petrel 3 and only realised now but vibrations are not enabled with a SAFT.

SAFTs are also not recommended for cold water. Given your location, you may go through them quicker than expected. :wink:
I am booking an ice diving class right now …

Tbh the south coast in the U.K. isn’t that cold. It’s going to the quarries/lakes in winter that is really cold 😂

In winter the sea is much warmer than the air temperature, you rarely dive the sea off season because the wind conditions are really i more visible and your dives will be called off often in winter …

It is clear that alkaline batteries shouldn’t be left in the device for a prolonged period (so that’s why, when buying a new computer with an alkaline battery already installed, it is still recommended to change it as we can’t know how long it’s been since it left the factory).

But what about Lithium batteries, is that ok to leave them inside the dive computer, even if it’s not used and left in storage?

It is clear that alkaline batteries shouldn’t be left in the device for a prolonged period (so that’s why, when buying a new computer with an alkaline battery already installed, it is still recommended to change it as we can’t know how long it’s been since it left the factory).

But what about Lithium batteries, is that ok to leave them inside the dive computer, even if it’s not used and left in storage?

A thread on this that might be of interest:

What AA battery do you use in your Perdix and why? Any advantage to using Lithium in this application?

Most of you probably just use whatever you have in your battery drawer, but I am sure there are a few folks here who have put some science into their choice, or have experience that brand X lasts better than brand Y.
I dive mostly in very cold water. The lithium batteries are much, much better.

As for leaving the batteries in during prolonged periods of not being used... I have no clue, since my head starts to melt if I don't get diving after two weeks...

Back
Top Bottom