Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re playing with fire, but it’s your computer. I hear the new Perdix 2 is pretty nice. Trash yours with a battery leak and you can always upgrade.
Well, I can‘t really remember that I ever had a leaking AA. Had you? I know it can happen and if it happens it would give me a reason to upgrade ;-). I save the money for the upgrade by using AA. But it might be that the probability of an AA leaking might be exaggerated? I understand why Shearwater as a producer changed their recommendation some years ago.

Best wishes Jens

Well, I can‘t really remember that I ever had a leaking AA. Had you? I know it can happen and if it happens it would give me a reason to upgrade ;-). I save the money for the upgrade by using AA. But it might be that the probability of an AA leaking might be exaggerated? I understand why Shearwater as a producer changed their recommendation some years ago.

Best wishes Jens
I see several leaking aa batteries around my house every year. Thermostat, xbox controllers, tv remotes, electric blind motor, rtc. They always leak if left installed for too long.

With rechargeable you just charge it when its 50% then you never ever have to wonder or worry about dead batteries.

This.

Best wishes Jens

I see several leaking aa batteries around my house every year. Thermostat, xbox controllers, tv remotes, electric blind motor, rtc. They always leak if left installed for too long.

As @davehicks has pointed out this is pretty common even with brand names like Duracell and Energizer. I have seen several friends Petrel's ruined by leaking batteries even when they are not dead. And its even worse when your Petrel is hardwired into your rebreather head so you have to send the whole thing out.

Best wishes Jens

Yes, I’ve had alkaline AAs leak quite a few times in flashlights, clocks, remotes, things like that just like @davehicks & @marsh9077. It’s not the least bit uncommon. Using the ‘save money’ argument is just silly when we’re discussing a $1000 dive computer that uses one AA every 6-12 months. If we were talking a $5 flashlight, for sure. I use straight up alkaline AAs in those inexpensive devices.

But not today

014.JPG

Well, I can‘t really remember that I ever had a leaking AA. Had you? I know it can happen and if it happens it would give me a reason to upgrade ;-). I save the money for the upgrade by using AA. But it might be that the probability of an AA leaking might be exaggerated?
Many. I've had many alkaline of various brands and sizes leak in multiple devices over the years. Never in a dive computer, though. However that's only because I removed the alkaline AA in my Perdix almost immediately.

Flashlights, remotes, clocks, etc. have all had leaking alkaline batteries at times. I now no longer use them at all if I can avoid it. For my household devices it's either lithium or NiMH rechargeable. Also, certain brands of alkaline seem to be more prone to leakage, but none are immune.

Once I learned that lithium batteries don't leak, I stopped buying alkaline.
Alkaline batteries are "time bombs" waiting to destroy your electronic device; as you will forget to change them, and they will leak! Game over man!

'Have rued too many ruined flashlights, due to alkaline battery bombs. No alkaline ever again!

My battery is either a rechargeable Lithium-ion or an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. The higher price point is worth no worries. 🔋 'And no; 'not worried about fires.

Checked my news Petrel 3 - it did come with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. Makes sense as it has the haptic alarms and I read elsewhere in this thread that the lithium battery is needed for that function to work.

Hi,

Well, perhaps we get the better batches of AA here in Europe :) . Anyway, never had a leaking battery in remotes, clock, flashlights aso. I have to change the battery in the Perdix more often than 6 - 12 months, about every 4 months. AI on and diving in cold water certainly contribute to that.

Best wishes Jens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom