Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What AA battery do you use in your Perdix and why? Any advantage to using Lithium in this application?

Most of you probably just use whatever you have in your battery drawer, but I am sure there are a few folks here who have put some science into their choice, or have experience that brand X lasts better than brand Y.

I use normal alkaline batteries. You can use lithium aswell. They last a bit longer, but the chargelevel indikator is less accurate(just check. Lithium discharge graph to see why).

I dont like rechargables. First because of the enviroment and second because they also can be a bit inaccurate regarding the charginglevel sometimes.

But to be honest. Use whatever you want. Just make sure you dont use old batteries or let them stay too long in your perdix.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries is all I've ever used in my Petrels and my Perdix. Longer life and less risk of leakage. I replace them religiously at 6 months. I don't wait for the computer to tell me the battery is low. I then reuse them in flashlights and things around the house until they die fully.

Never use Duracell Alkaline as they WILL leak. Many a Shearwater has been damaged by leaking Duracells. If you use ANY alkaline AA don't let the computer sit unused for long with the battery installed. Remove the battery for longer-term storage. The risk of a leaking battery is too great.

I avoid alkaline chemistry cells at all costs. Leakage potential scares the poop out of me. Energizer Lithium batteries are my go to for years. I like them especially in our cold waters (Great Lakes). I have been considering Eneloops, as I use them everywhere at home, and have many.

I use 14500 lithium rechargeables in mine. Originally used eneloops in my Petrel, but when I started diving the Meg that had a Predator on it that needed lithium cells, I got a few of the lithium rechargeables. Can put them on the charger at the same time as 18650's for dive lights instead of having to wait like I would with NiMH rechargeables. Other than that, no real preference either way and they last about the same amount of time in the computer.

Wonderful feedback and I hadn't thought of the chemistry and potential for badness.

I too use Eneloops for my strobes, does the NiMH chemistry of the Eneloops bother you @rhwestfall ?

Tbone, just noticed you are from SC. I love that state! Lived in Ladson and GooseCreek, near the weapons station, back in the day when I was in the Navy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom