Pelican air case for rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love the Pelican 1607. I got one when they first came out and it has been all over the world and then some and still has not broken. I loved it some much I recently just bought a second one.

Also just to confirm you can fit a JJ in the 1607 as well but you have to take the stand off (no big deal just 4 small bolts on the bottom takes a whole 5 extra minutes and if you want to get real fancy you can replace the nuts with wing nuts so it can be done in 1 minute)

What are your thoughts about Pelican being a theft magnet, compared with a hard-sided suitcase being anonymous?

What are your thoughts about Pelican being a theft magnet, compared with a hard-sided suitcase being anonymous?

I'm not saying there's no validity to the idea, but I've been flying with Pelican cases for over a decade. I'm not a million-mile-a-year guy, but I'll do anywhere from a dozen to 40+ flights a year. Fewer in a year translates to more international; more flights means more air commute from one state to another type travel. It's relatively rare I don't have at least one Pelican in my checked herd, I think my record is five or six at a time. Coworkers usually match or exceed me in Pelican count. The only one I've ever had "stolen" was flying into Las Vegas, security "quarantined" one of my cases that was a declared firearm. After hanging out at bag claim for over an hour, then asking half the airport and eventually finding the security office, they couldn't possibly understand why I was upset they took my luggage without notifying me. Supposedly Vegas sees a lot of firearm theft off the baggage carousels, so security sequesters them as a rule, and require the passenger to pick up directly. To the extent of my knowledge, none of my coworkers have ever had a Pelican stolen at an airport either.

I will say my exposure to "less developed" areas is basically zero as far as unsupervised handling of my baggage (heh) goes, so I can't comment on some of the more remote destinations.

I travel with the Pelican Air 2720. It fits my rEvo expedition mini perfectly! Comes in at 49 lbs at the airport scales.
Pelican Case (Peli Case) Resurrection alert...

A Revo
  • Revo Mini is 58cm (with handle) or 53cm (without handle) / 38cm / 23cm and weighs 17.8kg (titanium) or 19.4kg (stainless steel)
  • Revo Micro is 54cm (with handle) or 48cm (without handle) / 35cm / 22cm and weighs 15.9kg

Weighing my Revo Mini complete with non-standard harness with loop, computers, cells, empty sorb cannisters but no stand, cylinders or torch/heater batteries comes to 17.9kg

The closest Peli Case fit (on paper) is a
  • Peli Air "1637" case: 595h / 446w / 337d @ 6.9kg (no foam)

Others which are 'close' fits include:
  • Peli Storm 2720 case (iM2720): 559h / 432w / 254d @ 7.62kg (no foam)
    • Probably needs the Mini handle removed; would fit the Micro
  • Peli Air 1607 case: 535h / 402w / 295d @ 7.3kg (no foam)
    • Would need the Mini handle removed; would fit the Micro
Adding up this means the Mini (17.8kg) + 1637 (6.9kg) = 24.7kg. Tweaks would be computers and loop (and cells?) in carry-on. Should just get it under 23kg limit (50 pounds)

Wondering if any of that thinking's wrong?

Kind of think that @stuartv's Samsonite + dog baskets look a good option!

I went with the Pelican im2700 for my micro, works well, doesn't/cant use much foam protection, what you see is what fits, so don't go spending a fortune on pick and pluck foam, theres not alot of room once full and it's a press fit to close case.

PS after this trip I splashed out an bought the travel cam bands too.

1642509357422.png

I went with the Pelican im2700 for my micro, works well, doesn't/cant use much foam protection, what you see is what fits, so don't go spending a fortune on pick and pluck foam, theres not alot of room once full and it's a press fit to close case.

PS after this trip I splashed out an bought the travel cam bands too.

View attachment 701341
Can't see in that photo - do you have the handle on the unit?

Alas the Mini wouldn't fit in the case; need to opt for the next one up (which is heavier... :( )

Thanks for that photo. Seems a nice snug fit.

Alas there's no nearly exact fit for the Mini, with the 1637 being the closest.

The travel cam bands are great. Much easier to remove the cylinders.

BTW that olive green colour seems quite nice. Stands out slightly more than black, but doesn't advertise its presence in the same way as yellow and orange!

BTW that olive green colour seems quite nice. Stands out slightly more than black, but doesn't advertise its presence in the same way as yellow and orange!

backpacker colours, rather than high end photographic equipment, black, yellow, red :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom