Revo "dilout" modification thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much do you plan to save and is it worth it?

I started thinking "dilout" after trying Fathom. However, my thoughts were not related to saving $ at all.
Was more about the 3 litre cylinder rental costs and availability.

The caveat being it is for recreational depths with some deco.

Was more about the 3 litre cylinder rental costs and availability.

The caveat being it is for recreational depths with some deco.

If you're going to recreational depths with potentially minor deco, why not just save all the headaches and go straight to OC? It's a lot cheaper and easier all around.

No onboard bottles, left al40/80 with air, right al40 with o2.

Should be easy enough to rent those tanks if the place is setup to handle any sort of tech diving

No onboard bottles, left al40/80 with air, right al40 with o2.

Should be easy enough to rent those tanks if the place is setup to handle any sort of tech diving
@Wibble While I think the whole idea of dilout on a Revo in your situation a bit silly and while Jason has since moved onto other units, here’s some inspiration from Jason Richards:

Thoughts about modifying a Revo for use with "dilout"...

Flying off to a warm location where the pretty fish play in the warm water and excellent visibility; diving to air diluent depths only. Aside from the Pelicase being too heavy(!), the Revo's a great rebreather. However, renting 3 litre cylinders gets expensive for a week. Actually it's renting two 3 litre cylinders (or 2 litre) and the bailout.

So for a thought experiment :cool: wondering about taking a leaf from the chestmount/sidemount book and modifying the Revo to remove the diluent cylinder and plumb it directly into the bailout using a QC6.

On first appearances this seems to be possible; remove the first stage, replace the LP hose into the manifold with one terminated into a QC6 which would be connected to the bailout first stage.

In action it should be an ali7 or ali80 with air diluent/bailout which would be topped off as it's used. Still have the oxygen 3 litre cylinder, but saves on the diluent.

Ignore the engineering detail for now: what utter stupidity is this?!? It's more or less the same as a Triton, Choptima, Sidewinder, SF2...

Again: just a thought!
You’ll be diving a GUE style rack in no time.

Doesn't the Mares Horizon do that? It pretty much started life as a rEvo anyway.

It's a SCR, so should be bubbling behind the head.

But yes; should be very similar.

Something I just learn't over the w/e in addition to the 40 m depth limitation on the deco certified Horizon ticket, there is a max deco obligation of 20 minutes. So I guess that has something to do with the risk of blown hoses etc. etc,

@Wibble While I think the whole idea of dilout on a Revo in your situation a bit silly and while Jason has since moved onto other units, here’s some inspiration from Jason Richards:

This is neat. However, if I were to do 12 hour dives, I'd think twice about whether rEvo is the right unit (and I love mine).

@Wibble While I think the whole idea of dilout on a Revo in your situation a bit silly
Agree completely! It's only a "thought experiment" -- loads more minds thinking together reveals a lot of interesting issues.

Part of the thought process was jealousy of the lightweight chestmount units and that they require fewer tanks -- the Revo Mini + Pelicase = 26kg/58 lbs. Yes, 9kg/20 lbs is the Pelicase...

...and while Jason has since moved onto other units, here’s some inspiration from Jason Richards:

Thanks for that. Great link.

Amazing how he modified his Revo mk 2! Very special use cases though. Expect the sidewinder's far more to his needs.

One thing that I ponder is the lack of wing here. Does he need it managing loop volume in the ccr and bouyancy through drysuit?

One thing that I ponder is the lack of wing here. Does he need it managing loop volume in the ccr and bouyancy through drysuit?
This was done for some extreme cave diving in Tennessee, I would not spend much time about attachment methods or buoyancy on this because that type of diving is so far outside of the norm that all sorts of strange techniques are often used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom