PDC and C. Itza?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered $50 worth of maps from Can-Do.

See? I'm not COMPLETELY cheap :)
If you get the Cancun map, I think you get the Airport map with it free.

You might want to book a car with Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental specifying that you'll pickup at their PDC office and drop off at their Airport office. I think they're on Ave 10 or 15 near the ferry dock (you can phone to ask of course), but make sure they mark their Airport location on your map if they're not on it. THEN, if you find a better deal on arrival - you're not obligated to the rental.

[c]click thumnail pics for larger view...

mapa.gif[/c]

From: Cancún, Mexico - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma In 2 weeks 6:10am Sunrise 5:51pm Sunset, only 6 minutes later a month from now, so pretty close.

You're not going to have time for the pool on that schedule, but prove me wrong. Have fun. :eyebrow:

Yes, you want full & total insurance, but it's pretty cheap with some providers. I got hot over the delivery service in PDC but I'm a hothead anyway. Try Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental
I'm getting conflicting advice. Seems to be a 50/50 split between depend on the credit card coverage, or buy the mexican policy.
There are plenty of threads about what can happen if you have a wreck without 100% coverage. You're a tourist so you're in the wrong. You don't want to have to pay whatever they demand so you can leave the country, or call the American consulate from jail. Yeah, the CC company can refund losses that you have to pay, but they won't get you out of trouble at the time - and you may run into trouble with the amount refunded. When you leave American court systems, you play with local rules.

The freeway to Valladolid I think it was is a dream. We were on it by mistake, but for driving - super, no speed bumps or anything. I think it's #180, and we were suppose to be on #180D with speed bumps, villages, etc, but your map will clarify that. There are restrooms and a snack wagon at the toll point about halfway on the border. Beyound Valladolid, I don't know as we circled back on our correct road there.

yucatan-peninsula-map.gif
You'll need the same mosquito repellent & sun block there in March as you do in Alaska in the summer. Take plenty of liquids and have a great trip...!

I just ordered $50 worth of maps from Can-Do.

See? I'm not COMPLETELY cheap :)

You will love the maps! There is so much on them and the restaurant reviews seem to be pretty good on the food and quality but prices seem a bit low.

Yes, you are cheap because those maps will save you a lot of money. If you and your wife have dinner at El Fogon instead of on 5th Ave, you just saved around $30 and will probably eat better.

I have also rented from CRAC and didn't have any problems but I have heard that they tried to run the flat spare scam on a guy. (slightly loosen the valve stem on the spare so that by the time you return the car the spare is flat) BTW, I THINK that the CRAC office in PDC is located at 10 Ave and Constituyentes in Plaza Mariachis. Take a cab rather than carry your bags, when you see the map you will understand.

Going to CI from Cancun, take the toll road. Nothing is more important than vacation time. Get to CI EARLY and bring plenty of water. There is no shade and the sun is brutal by the time most of the tour bus's get there late morning. On your way back take the time to spend a hour or two at Ek Balam, Mayan ruin north of Valladolid. I promise you that you will have more photos of Ek Balam than CI. The site literally rewrote the book on Mayan art. CI is all about the majesty of the buildings and Ek Balam is about the details. If I had to choose, Ek Balam hands down for a second visit.

Just to complicate things for you, consider staying the first night in Valladolid. Nice colonial town that is not over run with tourists. We like http://www.mesondelmarques.com . Nice hotel right on the main square with an excellent restaurant. Also, staying in Valladolid will get you to CI earlier. Talk to the front desk about leaving your gear there while you visit CI, they should accommodate you.

Have a great trip, and be sure to stand at one end of the ball court in CI and clap your hands. One of the amazing things about CI are the acoustics.

I THINK that the CRAC office in PDC is located at 10 Ave and Constituyentes in Plaza Mariachis. Take a cab rather than carry your bags, when you see the map you will understand
Yeah, I think it was on 10th Ave, between 2nd & 4th Calle. I bet he could get one of the tricycle porters to go that far for less than the cab, you think? We used one, well loaded, to a hotel around the corner form that office - gave him $6 I think. $10 would be nicer.

Yeah, I think it was on 10th Ave, between 2nd & 4th Calle. I bet he could get one of the tricycle porters to go that far for less than the cab, you think? We used one, well loaded, to a hotel around the corner form that office - gave him $6 I think. $10 would be nicer.

Hi Don,

Great to see you posting again. We are on the same page about the office being on 10th Ave. Calle 2 and 10th is the northwest corner of the old bus terminal. Constituyentes and 10th is 9 blocks to the north.

In theory, all the cabs rides we are talking about are in Zone 1 and should be about 30p. But we always get the visitor rate from the local mafia.

Last edited:
I agree Valladolid would be worth spending some time in, but when we drove to the ruins over Christmas (we took the Coba route) we discovered most of the downtown streets torn up and traffic a nightmare. Took us most of an hour to drive through from east to west. The trip back that evening on the west to east was maybe a half hour. In addition construction at Puerto Aventuras took over an hour to travel about 3 miles. I would suggest using the toll road to travel to the ruins until both these projects get closer to completed.

Nude, what flight do you have back to AK on the 6th? CUN-SEA, or CUN-LAX?

We are on the same page about the office being on 10th Ave. Calle 2 and 10th is the northwest corner of the old bus terminal. Constituyentes and 10th is 9 blocks to the north.
Hmmmm. Maybe they have more than one office? The tiny one we went to was just around the corner from our hotel, which was on 4th St between 5&10th Aves. Ah well, he'll have the Can-Do maps soon, and yeah - humping luggage 15 blocks would ruin my day, but then I carry way too much.

Last edited:

Where were you before we went to PDC? When we got off the ferry from COZ my wife, two kids, my sister and I along with all of our corresponding luggage lugged everything 8 blocks to our condo. I was pulling a HUGE rolling bag and wearing an internal frame mountaineering backpack that our 3 year old was sitting on top of. We must have looked like refugees.

On the way back to the ferry port to go home my wife (who is much smarter than I am) got a bicycle porter to take our luggage for $1/bag (plus a nice tip) to the terminal, which was much more pleasant (and less sweaty) and worth every penny.

Where were you before we went to PDC? When we got off the ferry from COZ my wife, two kids, my sister and I along with all of our corresponding luggage lugged everything 8 blocks to our condo. I was pulling a HUGE rolling bag and wearing an internal frame mountaineering backpack that our 3 year old was sitting on top of. We must have looked like refugees.

On the way back to the ferry port to go home my wife (who is much smarter than I am) got a bicycle porter to take our luggage for $1/bag (plus a nice tip) to the terminal, which was much more pleasant (and less sweaty) and worth every penny.
Oh, I'm sure I was here somewhere - spouting off my opinions, and I would have suggested the tricycle porters for your motley crew for sure - especially when I saw the word "kids." My bud & I may have had as much as all of y'all tho? I still get to check 2 bags under 70# free as does a travel companion so we had 4 big bags, 2 roll-ons, and 2 backpacks. I was surprised that he could get all but my backpack on his trike; I never let anyone else handle it - with my laptop, cameras, valuables, essentials, etc.

In August 2007, I left Coz on the first morning ferry headed for Cancun to depart in the Hurricane Dean evacuation - and the porters weren't there that early. One of my huge bags doesn't have wheels :mad: so I had hell getting all my junk to the ferry. Walk 50 ft in the darkness, drop bags, go back and get the other, repeat. I was delighted to see trike porters at PDC when we arrived. We noticed some working in the Mayan villages on the was to Holbox, too; I guess they serve as the local taxi service around those towns where many locals don't own vehicles.

Hehe, in Holbox we got a golf cart from the dock to the hotel and he was actually able to haul our 300+ pounds of luggage and two large Texans all at once, altho he had to peek high over some bags. We both dive with large BCs, large fins, etc - and I pack a pony bottle and 3 regs, 2 computers, 3 cameras, a 12 cup coffee maker, etc. Pretty ridiculous.

we had 4 big bags, 2 roll-ons, and 2 backpacks. I was surprised that he could get all but my backpack on his trike; I never let anyone else handle it - with my laptop, cameras, valuables, essentials, etc.

I'll see you and raise you two strollers (one was used for a wheel-less bag) and two kids 3 and under :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom