PDC and C. Itza?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We rented a condo in PDC in November '07 after spending a week in Cozumel and loved it. The town is pretty well Americanized with multiple Starbucks and Haagen Dazs on 5th Ave, but if you get a few streets back you can get a real taste of the local culture. We were with our two small children and never felt unsafe, even walking side streets after dark.

There are nice boutique hotels all over town, and if you browse the reviews on Tripadvisor and/or Expedia I'll bet you can find one that suits your style and budget. One last option is to look for a rental at vrbo.com. there were great places to eat like the Hotel Basic which is on a rooftop overlooking 5th Ave, and good local coffee shops for breakfast.

Finally, if you don't want to rent a car and you want to see the sights, not to worry. Hawkers on almost every block of 5th avenue will try to sell you tours. Just employ your best bargaining skills!

A couple things that should not be missed:

-The churros from the street vendor by the park at the north end of 5th Ave.

-El Fogon Taqueria near 30th and Calle 6 for incredible local fare

Most of the hawkers on 5th are timeshare and that is not a way to spend vacation time.

El Fogon ROCKS!! They have another location across the street from the MEGA on Constituyentes at 30th. BTW, HC Monterrey is next door and you cannot go wrong with either of them.

I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the hawkers. We spent our week ignoring them.

Other suggestions:

Overnight in Chichen Itza & explore the area. Hotel Dolores Alba has air-conditioned rooms, breakfast included in rate, 2 pools and cenote Ik Kil. http://www.doloresalba.com/indexmain.htm#chtza

Good accommodations in Cancun Centro or PDC - Hotel Alux Alux Hotel

Or stay in Valladolid, a small colonial town between Cancun & Chichen. Many hotels there, see Trip Advisor for reviews. The closer to the main plaza the better...

Sorry to change the subject, slightly. Someone mentioned that the op must climb the pyramid at Chichen Itza. As of about 4-6 years ago, visitors could no longer climb the pyramid since the steps were deteriorating so much. Is that still the case, or can visitors climb again?

Sorry to change the subject, slightly. Someone mentioned that the op must climb the pyramid at Chichen Itza. As of about 4-6 years ago, visitors could no longer climb the pyramid since the steps were deteriorating so much. Is that still the case, or can visitors climb again?

That is correct unfortunately. We were allowed to climb the steps in spring of '05, but they were closed shortly thereafter. We were just there again in December and sure enough, the pyramid is closed which really sucked.

Another word of caution about driving from PDC to Chichen Itza. You really have to pay close attention to the signs, other drivers, potholes and ESPECIALLY the speed bumps. We just about launched ourselves into space the last time on one we didn't see til last minute. Most are marked so just pay closer attention that we did.

Best of luck to you in your adventure.

No, climbing the pyramid at Chichen Itza (both inside & out) hasn't been allowed for a while now. It's still OK to climb the pyramid at Coba (closest one to CZM) and those at most other archeological sites.

Another word of caution about driving from PDC to Chichen Itza. You really have to pay close attention to the signs, other drivers, potholes and ESPECIALLY the speed bumps. We just about launched ourselves into space the last time on one we didn't see til last minute. Most are marked so just pay closer attention that we did.

From either Playa or Cancun, it's faster and safer to use the toll road (Cuota) -- it's expensive and less scenic than the free road but high-speed divided highway to Piste -- the town closest to the ruins. There's a toll booth at the Q.Roo/Yucatan state line. To get there from Playa, go north on 307 toward the airport and you'll see the entrance before you enter Cancun.

i always stay in pdc for a few days before heading home. i ilke the luna blue which i think is about $65 per nt. and includes admission to mamitas beach club. to get a good comparison of hotels there or almost anywhere, go to travel notes trip advisor playa del carmen, they will rank order hotels by reader evals and list current prices. the northern part of playa is now mostly usa and the southern part mostly euro.
if you are not able to sleep with noise until wee morning hours, do not get hotel on 5th av.

Anyone have a good lead on the cost of ave. quality accommodations over in PDC? How about a day-trip excursion to Chichen Itza (sp?)? Wife is coming up with some high prices - I can't help but think they must be lower than what she is coming up with.

Thanks!
nd

can't speak for PDC lodging, if you are willing to stay a few miles up the road, Puerto Morelos has accommodations with similar prices to Coz, and if you are flying out of Cancun. PM is actually closer to the Cancun airport than Cancun is!!

Mayan archeological sites, now that's something I know about....

there are several options for Chichen Itza....

1.) take the tour bus...buses leave out of PDC daily, a 3-3 1/2 hr ride each way with potty stops along the way at roadside souvenir shops. the trip includes transportation, lunch and a guided tour. there are several operators and tours can be set up at hotel activities desks or booked in advance I believe through websites.

2.) drive yourself...great option to save money. it will take a little time off the drive simply because you are controlling when you stop. The highway to C.I. from Cancun is a toll-way, very nice road, or at least was 5 years ago or so. There are restaurants, snack shops and souvenir shops at the site and you can hire a private tour guide for the day for about $25 plus tip. Or just study up a little before you go and give yourself the tour. A little tip, itÃÔ easy to slip into the crowd of a tour and listen to their tour guide as you walk around the site yourself.

You can also get there by going south to Tulum & turning inland on the road to Coba. Going past Coba the road continues and I think ends up hooking up to the toll highway somewhere around Valladolid. The road is only a 2 lane "farm road", if you will and I have only taken it as far as Coba, so I can't speak much about it.

Going this way you can spend a little time in the charming town of Chichen Itza or make a stop at one of several swimming cenotes or one of the colonial towns like Valladlid along the way, if you get an early enough start.

3.) the plane tour©Ïot the cheapest, but by far the least hassle. For a little over $100/person, you can fly to C.I. from Cozumel on a tour. You fly into C.I. ÅÂirport? more of an ÅÂir strip? get in a taxi for a short 5 min. ride to the site where a tour guide is waiting for you. I think the trip includes lunch, but not sure. We set it up through a Lomas rep. at our hotel.

We have done both the plane tour and driven it ourselves. The first time we went, we did the plane tour which was great considering I was only armed with grade school knowledge of the site.

The second time we went, we drove it, this was after a couple of years of Mayan studies and I gave us a tour on that trip.

Every thing at the site is well marked so a guided tour is not necessarily needed.

ALL:

Thanks bunches for your advice. VERY helpful. Based on your input, our own research and scheduling dictates, here is what we have decided to do (subject to change, based on developments):

a). March 4th: Get ferry from Coz to PDC soon enough that we can get a car rented before the rental places close (which seems to be about 4PM).

b). March 4th: Drive rental car from PDC to Cancun and stay the night at a hotel (wife will pick out - she wants to be "downtown"). Can spend evening walking around and doing whatever.

c). March 5th: Next day, drive to C.I. and do whatever there is to do, drive back to Cancun and spend the night in the same hotel.

d). March 6th: Next day, have a leisurely morning - drop rental car off at noon or so, catch 3pm(ish) flight home.

This puts us in control of our own destiny, at the risk of potential rental car issues. It also means we don't have to drive all the way back from C.I. to PDC, just to go to sleep and then go to the Cancun airport. It also gives the dive gear a chance to dry out, sitting in the Cancun hotel room while we're in C.I.

Definitely want to avoid driving in dark if possible. What time is sun up/down the first week of March down there? Considered staying in C.I., but hotels there seem to be expensive, plus it means dive gear is sitting in the car all day since we would get to C.I. too early to check in, PLUS it means we would drive back from C.I. to Cancun the morning of our flight home - which doesn't strike me as a very good idea.

So anyway - we'll be in PDC just long enough to get a rental car and get out of town. We have two nights in Cancun, and a day driving to C.I. and back. It's possible we might take some kind of bulk transport from PDC to Cancun, in the event we're unable to rent a car there for one reason or another (for example, by the time we get there, everything is closed, or it's going to be dark, or whatever). That means we'd have to rent a car in Cancun the morning of our drive to CI, which of course, is something I'd like to avoid.

For an excursion to Chitzen Itza, I suggest renting a car and driving. It'll give you the freedom to pace the trip to suit your own taste, and do some side trips. Two hints, one pick up your car the night before, so you can get an early start and get there before high noon. Second, where you pay to enter Chitzen Itza try to find other independents and share the cost of a local guide. The guides are very knowledgeable and well worth the cost.

driving is definitely cheaper, plus you aren't rushed like the tour groups. Get the map/guide here: Can-Do Travel Guides. Mayan Adventure map gives everything you need to know, along with restaurants, side excursions, road tolls, etc.

Yes, you want full & total insurance, but it's pretty cheap with some providers. I got hot over the delivery service in PDC but I'm a hothead anyway. Try Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental
I'm getting conflicting advice. Seems to be a 50/50 split between depend on the credit card coverage, or buy the mexican policy.

Be careful again about gas. Being American, I presumed all the stations were open Sunday mornings. Ha! Top it off the night before you need it - but watch out for the helpful locals who want to do it for you - be sure the meter is zeroed out. Most locals are pretty nice folks, but one crook can spoil your day.

May I suggest a safe place would be a good choice. The peninsula is not like Cozumel, and you want to be prudent about some choices at either.
Ah, OK.

You plan to spend a lot of time at the pool?
If it has one, probably, yeah. I can't stand the heat (hey, I'm from Alaska, OK?). Seems like a pool would be the coolest place to hide out from it.

It costs as much to live a first world life style in Mexico as it does in the States.
Well, that sucks. But it also varies dramatically. I've paid everything from $500/night to $40/night in the U.S. It really depends on where you are. But, for example, in Egypt, it is dirt cheap to stay in a very nice place (that would cost hundreds in America). I was hoping the same would be true in Mexico, but I guess not.

Since you sound as cheap as I am, if you don't order the maps you are penny wise and pound foolish. We have been buying them for the past 8 years and always get the latest edition before we plan a trip. Laura and Perry put out a great product that is worth its weight in gold.
Well, I guess I should clarify. Perhaps it is not so much that I am cheap, as much as it is that I don't value certain things as highly as others - while I overvalue other things, according to most people. For example - although I could have easily gone out and bought a brand new vehicle - I was driving a 14 year old beater of a truck with 200,000+ miles on it - but had a $1000 pool cue. Neither one bothered me very much at all, but other people didn't understand it. When it comes to hotels - I just see them as a place to put my stuff and sleep. I don't put much value on niceties. I'd happily sleep in a storage unit for $10/night, as long as it were clean, air conditioned and secure. I don't need much for a hotel. As for map - I see a lot of value in good information, so it's something I'll pay for :)

Three Pemex stations you want to avoid are at the intersection of 307 and Constituyentes in PDC, the first station on 307 after leaving the airport in Cancun and Puerto Morelos. Never give your keys to the attendant. Get out of the car, remove the gas cap yourself and watch every step and ask for a specific amount of gas. BTW, be sure to tip the person filling your car.

From either Playa or Cancun, it's faster and safer to use the toll road (Cuota) -- it's expensive and less scenic than the free road but high-speed divided highway to Piste -- the town closest to the ruins. There's a toll booth at the Q.Roo/Yucatan state line. To get there from Playa, go north on 307 toward the airport and you'll see the entrance before you enter Cancun.

2.) drive yourself...great option to save money. it will take a little time off the drive simply because you are controlling when you stop. The highway to C.I. from Cancun is a toll-way, very nice road, or at least was 5 years ago or so. There are restaurants, snack shops and souvenir shops at the site and you can hire a private tour guide for the day for about $25 plus tip. Or just study up a little before you go and give yourself the tour. A little tip, itÃÔ easy to slip into the crowd of a tour and listen to their tour guide as you walk around the site yourself.

And thanks to all for your feedback too :)

Cheers!
nd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom