PDC and C. Itza?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone have a good lead on the cost of ave. quality accommodations over in PDC? How about a day-trip excursion to Chichen Itza (sp?)? Wife is coming up with some high prices - I can't help but think they must be lower than what she is coming up with.

Thanks!
nd

What's up ND!

Can't help you out on the cost thing but I did want to say a trip over to Chichen Itza or Chitzen Itsa (I've seen it spelled both ways) is well worth it. The place is just amazing and there is still so much that has never been uncovered. A climb to the top of the pyramid must be done. You don't realize how steep it is until you climb up and look down! The time I went the trip was by bus and it took a couple of hours to get there from Cancun but I know you can fly in on small planes also. My trip was included in the price of the place I was staying so I have no idea what a reasonable price should be. Hope you get to go.

Unless you're traveling the weeks of Carnival or Spring Break, you can probably wing it for a one or two night stay in PDC. There are lots of decent hotels within 6-7 blocks of the ferry terminal, and while one of you stays with the bags the other can check out a few hotels. We've stayed at a 3 or four different ones over the years. If you go to a site like trip adviser, you'll get lots of suggestions.

For an excursion to Chitzen Itza, I suggest renting a car and driving. It'll give you the freedom to pace the trip to suit your own taste, and do some side trips. Two hints, one pick up your car the night before, so you can get an early start and get there before high noon. Second, where you pay to enter Chitzen Itza try to find other independents and share the cost of a local guide. The guides are very knowledgeable and well worth the cost.

driving is definitely cheaper, plus you aren't rushed like the tour groups. Get the map/guide here: Can-Do Travel Guides
Mayan Adventure map gives everything you need to know, along with restaurants, side excursions, road tolls, etc.

If you are looking at the flight over from Cozumel, yes, it isn't cheap. Most people do the bus trip over which takes all day and you only get 2 hours there at Chichen Itza, but it does cost less.

Playa del Carmen has tons of little hotels that are $50-150 per night. Depends what you are looking for. There is a map available for that area too if you want - same website listed above. Well worth the $10 cost!!!

robin:D

Get the maps Robin suggested...!

There is just not much info available on the net for PDC, I know well from my last trip planning for the area. We used a PDC dive op who set us up with a hotel and were pretty disappointed in both - not bad enough that I'm going to try to publish what we didn't like, but enough we wouldn't go back to either. The Cenote op we used was great, and the hotel he suggests for $80US seemed much nicer - but he was a hole-in-wall Op who may not be around and I don't remember the name of the other hotel damnit. The Can-Do maps have a wealth of local info on each.

This really is a mainland oriented thread but I know your feeling: You feel you'll get better coverage and hopefully more replies who have done it from experienced Coz divers. I just posted a mainland thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/me...ists-around-playa-del-carmen-cancun-area.html and really wonder if I should have asked here...?

Have a great trip!
grinning-smiley-033.gif

Thanks all for the responses so far.

Now I'm wondering if we should skip PDC and spend the night in Cancun. Will that make a trip to the ruins much shorter?? We're only talking about two nights - first week of March.

I thought renting a car in Mexico was pretty expensive, due to the insurance and so forth?

I'm a cheap bastard. I'll stay in the cheapest hole I can find. However, now that I'm married, I'm not allowed to do that anymore :)

I really don't know what a reasonable price is. I have it in my head that, "it's Mexico - it should be cheap - but I dunno if that's realistic. We just need a place to sleep really. It would be nice if it had a pool. It would be nice if it were closer to the center of things than far away. It would be really nice if it makes it easy to catch a ride of some sort to the airport in Cancun. It does need to be secure though.

We'll only be there two nights - and one of those days we'll be gone all ay to the ruins. So, we don't need much. I just dunno what's a reasonable rate.

Thanks!
nd

Haha, I won't try to answer what I'm not sure about, but...
I thought renting a car in Mexico was pretty expensive, due to the insurance and so forth?
Yes, you want full & total insurance, but it's pretty cheap with some providers. I got hot over the delivery service in PDC but I'm a hothead anyway. Try Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental Be very careful about booking one with automatic if you don't like shifting gears; I don't mind shifting gears, but that little underpowered put-put we booked had to be shifted a few times for each speed bumped and always made a loud noise about the last gear - never did figure that out? Also note that they are not all air conditioned. Then I saw a last minute special on our chosen car close to trip time and tried to get the rate lowered. Nope. Should have booked it in my bud's name and canceled mine, but on well. Our biggest challenge was finding the Cancun station for car return. I finally gave up, phoned them, told them they had to come to the airport to get it. Glad I got away with that. Get the Cancun airport map.

Be careful again about gas. Being American, I presumed all the stations were open Sunday mornings. Ha! Top it off the night before you need it - but watch out for the helpful locals who want to do it for you - be sure the meter is zeroed out. Most locals are pretty nice folks, but one crook can spoil your day.

I really don't know what a reasonable price is. I have it in my head that, "it's Mexico - it should be cheap
Sure, if you wanted to stay in a hotel that a working class local would stay in. You don't, and your wife would divorce you.

We just need a place to sleep really.
May I suggest a safe place would be a good choice. The peninsula is not like Cozumel, and you want to be prudent about some choices at either.

It would be nice if it had a pool.
You plan to spend a lot of time at the pool?

It would be nice if it were closer to the center of things than far away. It would be really nice if it makes it easy to catch a ride of some sort to the airport in Cancun. It does need to be secure though.

We'll only be there two nights - and one of those days we'll be gone all ay to the ruins. So, we don't need much. I just dunno what's a reasonable rate.
You should be able to find a nice, safe place in PDC for less than $100US I think. I don't know about the other areas. Once you decide where you want to stay, get the maps. This page Hotel locator shows the toll road from Cancun airport to close the the ruins. Very nice road; loved it - until we couldn't get off to go to Holbox, big mistake! For you, great.

This page Yucatan Peninsula Map : TravelYucatan.com shows the main roads of the peninsula - the ones you want to try to stick to. If you search the net, you can find reports of cutting thru the country and Mayan villages from PDC to there, but don't try it. If you stay in PDC, go to Cancun and veer left to the toll road.

Thanks all for the responses so far.

Now I'm wondering if we should skip PDC and spend the night in Cancun. Will that make a trip to the ruins much shorter?? We're only talking about two nights - first week of March.

I'm a cheap bastard. I'll stay in the cheapest hole I can find. However, now that I'm married, I'm not allowed to do that anymore :)

I really don't know what a reasonable price is. I have it in my head that, "it's Mexico - it should be cheap - but I dunno if that's realistic. We just need a place to sleep really. It would be nice if it had a pool. It would be nice if it were closer to the center of things than far away. It would be really nice if it makes it easy to catch a ride of some sort to the airport in Cancun. It does need to be secure though.

Thanks!
nd

It costs as much to live a first world life style in Mexico as it does in the States.

For a nice, clean, reasonable place to stay, try Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya Playa del Carmen Mexico Hotel with Beautiful Air Conditioned Hotel Rooms and Suites. We have stayed there a couple of times and would go back again. RCM is on the north end of 5th Ave so you are one block from one of the great Mexican vacation streets. They won a 'cleanliness' award a few years ago and if you request a first floor room, you will be pool side. If you splurge and get one of the suites, the price is still around the $110 a night range. Basic rooms will run you less than $80 and the front desk will arrange an airport transfer for you at a reasonable rate. It is much cheaper to get to the airport than from the Cancun airport.

If you KNOW the local 'rules of the road', renting a car is a good option. If you don't know the rules, I wouldn't rent. One tour group that I highly recommend is Yukatreks. You can find them on Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info . They use vans instead of bus's and break up the day to keep it interesting. The day trip goes for around $110pp. Sit close to the front of the van so that you can talk to Mitch. Super nice guy who used to teach scuba in PDC before he found he had better hours and could make more money doing tours.

Since you sound as cheap as I am, if you don't order the maps you are penny wise and pound foolish. We have been buying them for the past 8 years and always get the latest edition before we plan a trip. Laura and Perry put out a great product that is worth its weight in gold.

BTW, a lot of the cenotes are so shallow that you can do a cavern dive without violating the 24 hour rule regarding flying and it is a great way to wash your gear.

Hope this helps and have a great trip.

We rented a condo in PDC in November '07 after spending a week in Cozumel and loved it. The town is pretty well Americanized with multiple Starbucks and Haagen Dazs on 5th Ave, but if you get a few streets back you can get a real taste of the local culture. We were with our two small children and never felt unsafe, even walking side streets after dark.

There are nice boutique hotels all over town, and if you browse the reviews on Tripadvisor and/or Expedia I'll bet you can find one that suits your style and budget. One last option is to look for a rental at vrbo.com. there were great places to eat like the Hotel Basic which is on a rooftop overlooking 5th Ave, and good local coffee shops for breakfast.

Finally, if you don't want to rent a car and you want to see the sights, not to worry. Hawkers on almost every block of 5th avenue will try to sell you tours. Just employ your best bargaining skills!

A couple things that should not be missed:

-The churros from the street vendor by the park at the north end of 5th Ave.

-El Fogon Taqueria near 30th and Calle 6 for incredible local fare

Be careful again about gas. Being American, I presumed all the stations were open Sunday mornings. Ha! Top it off the night before you need it - but watch out for the helpful locals who want to do it for you - be sure the meter is zeroed out. Most locals are pretty nice folks, but one crook can spoil your day.

Three Pemex stations you want to avoid are at the intersection of 307 and Constituyentes in PDC, the first station on 307 after leaving the airport in Cancun and Puerto Morelos. Never give your keys to the attendant. Get out of the car, remove the gas cap yourself and watch every step and ask for a specific amount of gas. BTW, be sure to tip the person filling your car.

Back
Top Bottom