Parts kits for Aqualung 1st and 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't that better than trying to source parts every year on various websites with the possible inevitability that the parts won't be available anymore? Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to have my own regs.

A couple of things here.
First off, I don't know any one of us who DIY service that service a reg once a year. I am more in the 4 or 5 year range, they simply do not need servicing that often. I keep a close eye on their performance and if it's working perfect I don't mess with it.

Sourcing parts is not a big a deal for that reg. There are ony 2 "special" parts in that reg, the HP seat and the diaphgram (changed every 2nd or 3rd service), both of which can be gotten from VDH or any DIY friendly Aqualung or Mares dealer. They are used in almost every current model AL sells so they are not going away any time soon. The rest of the parts are common orings that are $2-3 per 100. The only other part that needs changing is the filter which is a common part sold by Trident (VDH has them) and it's used in a lot of regs so finding one is no big deal. All the parts needed to service that reg is in the $20 range. Most places charge more than that in labor to service one stage, much less 3. While on the subject, simple down stream second stages may need service a little more often but all that most of them need is a good cleaning and a $3 seat (or you can make them by the dozens for a few cents a piece). HP second stages need a little more TLC but still the parts are a lot less than the labor cost to service it under parts for life programs.
There is one special tool needed or at least very nice to have for that reg, a HP nozzle assembly tool. It can be reassembled without one but it is a real pain in the rear to do.

I will bring the set to and LDS or rent a tank and try it out myself. I talked to one LDS today and they told me to stay far away from Dacor regs. I'm really tired of shops giving a hard time because of the regs I have. They are 8 years old, not 20.

Is the original aqualung titan good enough for cold water? I would like for it to work in 36F, but if the chances aren't good then I'll get another reg set sometime down the road and rent for now.

It would work in 36. I was diving flow through piston regs many times down to 36f this winter with no freeflows. That is the worst type of the reg for cold water.

Diaphragm regs are all enviro sealed except the main spring. The spring is quite far from the cooling area anyways.
Putting the spring enviro seal on a diaphrarm reg is critical when you do multiple dives in SURFACE freezing conditions. In this case ice can form quickly and block the spring.

I dove unsealed zeagle many times in very cold water and has no issues.

IMHO having a good cold water second stage and air with a very low dew point is far more important than sealing a first diaphragm stage

I was hoping the first stage would work in 36F temperature so I might be better off trying to get a cold water first stage.

I will bring the set to and LDS or rent a tank and try it out myself. I talked to one LDS today and they told me to stay far away from Dacor regs. I'm really tired of shops giving a hard time because of the regs I have. They are 8 years old, not 20.

Is the original aqualung titan good enough for cold water? I would like for it to work in 36F, but if the chances aren't good then I'll get another reg set sometime down the road and rent for now.

Normally I would kind of agree with them on Dacors due to the difficulty in getting parts. That said, this reg appears to be a rebranded Mares MR-12, one of the oldest regs still in production. Getting parts for it is no problem since all US Divers/Aqualung diaphgram regs produced from 1965 to the current models use the same internal parts. It's going to be a long time before those parts are hard to come by. Getting a shop to service it is a pain, they would rather sell you a new reg. Do it yourself and you will have a reg that will be diving longer than you do.

i had the same problem recently with my LDS.

Last year i took my conshelf 20 first stage, conshelf 20 second stage, and my royal aqua octo in for service...

the tech/ LDS manager charged me $150.00 for the service and i got my setup back with the royal aqua unhooked anfd the port plugged.

He told me it was too old to service and told me NOT to use it. he said he could not get parts. he also went on about how old my first and second stage was, and was bashing my first stage, saying that it was an old military reg that had the ports facing in the wrong direction as it was used for a dual setup....

he wanted me to spend cash on a new scubapro reg set....

I have found a NOS tusa octo that i put on my conshelf.
I put my royal on my hooka for pool repair work. It breathed a little harder than the conshelf, and flooded a few weeks ago on a repair job.
I bought a tusa reg on ebay cheap and got it for the hooka.

I figured what the heck, and tore into the royal...

I was amazed how simple it was... i cleaned and lubed everything and it now works like a champ.

the NOS tusa octo had a small air leak when i first hooked it up ( at the diaphram), so i took the cover off and adjusted the diaphram and it fixed the leak..

I will say that the diaphram on the new tusa is WAY thinner and cheaper feeling than the ne onthe royal, and it is much easier to align improperly as it is paper thin on the edges...

I have found on this board the the conshelf is a great set of regs, and plan on servicing them myself in the future.

That Cousteau kit will work with the exception of the sintered filter......it's conical in this kit and you want the more common flat one.
Unless it is very heavily soiled in yours a good soak in vinegar and rinse and you can reuse the one you have.
There will be o rings left over.
The advantage of this kit is it has everything you could possibly need including the diaphragm and HP seat.

I did a little digging in my manuals. What you have is a Dacor D12 which is the same as a later MR-12. It is internally exactly the same as the Titan. You can down load both service manuals from Vintage Double Hose. While down loading manuals, get the Conshelf one as well. With the exception of a removable HP orifice (and one Conshelf model has it too), the Dacor is internally the same as the Conshelf. Reading different manuals on essentially the same reg will give you a better perspective on how to service them. Like Fishpie said, that kit will work except for the filter, you will have a few left over orings but that is not a problem, just don't expect to use all of them :)
The kit you really want is 900001 which will also have a few extra orings.

The reason I was going to order that kit was that it included the HP seat whereas the Titan & Conshelf kit does not, and it's an exta $25. What tools do I need to do this correctly? I've noticed some special tools mentioned in the manuals but I'm not sure if they are really needed or if I could make do with something else.

Does the 2nd stage and octo also need to be serviced? I was told that this is probably not necessary as the titans have a good seal.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom