Parts kits for Aqualung 1st and 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If this was freshwater I'd certainly agree. There's a bit more flexibility in salt.
I'm no cold water expert but unless you practiced extreme cold water technique you might be better served by 1st and 2nd stages that were specifically designed for cold water.
The best single hose 2nd stage that I know for cold water is the AquaLung/US Divers Arctic or Glacia (the older non balanced one).
For the 1st stage an environmentally sealed diaphragm model.

No, nothing extreme. The lowest temperature of the water here is usually 32F. Not extremely cold but usually one degree below freezing in depths of 30 feet or more.

Is the new Mares MR12 environmentally sealed?

I could always try it out in shallow depths. What's the next step in servicing the 1st stage?

Next step is getting an IP gauge and a tank to test what you have right now.
From there you have a better idea what, if anything, needs servicing and you can then source the relevant parts.

I don't think the stage has been used in 8 years so I would think that something needs to be serviced on it. I got this set for free but I'm thinking about returning it as right now it's best if I bought something new with a warranty. Maybe keep the Octo and gauges but buy new 1st and 2nd stages. A free parts for life warranty sounds really good right now.

Just be aware that parts are a small fraction of the cost of servicing. You will also be locked in to servicing every year otherwise you loose the free parts.

Isn't that better than trying to source parts every year on various websites with the possible inevitability that the parts won't be available anymore? Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to have my own regs.

I don't think the stage has been used in 8 years so I would think that something needs to be serviced on it. I got this set for free but I'm thinking about returning it as right now it's best if I bought something new with a warranty. Maybe keep the Octo and gauges but buy new 1st and 2nd stages. A free parts for life warranty sounds really good right now.

$5 worth of "free" parts in exchange for $25 worth of mostly unnecessary labor never sounded like such a good deal to me. And the deal is off if you miss an annual service.

I expect you would be better off paying for parts and only servicing when necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom