Parts kits for Aqualung 1st and 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pick is to remove the small o ring from the balance chamber.
There's also a white teflon washer underneath that o ring, which, even though it's included in the kit, I would leave in place and not replace.
You will need a tank to set the intermediate pressure, it can also be used to pop out the diaphragm once the end cap has been removed although this can be done without air.

I just ordered the Titan first stage kit from VHD. In looking at the included parts there was a note stating that the included filter washer was not compatible with Nitrox and a different washer p/n 124647 must be used instead. Is this the teflon washer you mentioned?

I don't think so.
On later Conshelfs theres a nylon washer that goes between the sintered filter and circlip. This is often left out after the 1st service. The Dacor doesn't have this washer.
The Dacor/Mares also doesn't have the large plastic washer between the diaphragm and end cap.

..... The one place where a special tool is going to be handy is step 10 in the Dacor assembly procedure (14 in the Titan manual). Dacor suggest using your fingers to compress the HP assembly. While it can be done, it's a huge pain to do. The Titan/Conshelf have a second spring in that assembly and are very difficult to do. The AL 1110-00 tool is a big help when installing the HP components in either reg, it's the one special tool you should consider other than an IP gauge if you are going to service the D-12 (or MR-12/Titan/Conshelf). There are a couple of places you can get the 1110-00 or similar tool.

By chance, I just rebuilt one of my MR-12's last night (my wife accidently flooded it with salt water after our last dive... another story).

The step Herman describes can indeed be done (with difficulty) without the special tool.... I use the eraser-end of a No. 2 pencil, circlip pliers, and a bit of off-color language to do the deed, but it is pretty difficult.

Each time I service one of our MR-12's, I promise myself that I'll buy the custom tool Herman made....

While on this step, do examine the new circlip carefully, it has a rounded and "squared" edge; the "squared" edge faces up (so that the spring will hold it securely against the seating groove).

Important: This seems obvious , but do take the time make 100% sure the circlip is fully and properly engaged in its groove when you finish this step.... I can envision very bad things happening if the circlip "slipped" out of its groove :shocked2:

But other than that, servicing the MR-12 is really easy, and they are fine first stages.

Best wishes.

So I began disassembling the reg. One problem I had though was removing the tiny o ring from the HP balance chamber. I eventually removed it with a steel o ring pick, but upon shining a flashlight in the chamber I think I see a scratch in there. From what I read that's bad news. With my reg the chamber probably isn't replacable, so it's game over right?

I bet it'll be fine.......I've serviced many hundreds of diaphragm regs and only ever had one that needed a new balance chamber even with a scratch or two.

So I began disassembling the reg. One problem I had though was removing the tiny o ring from the HP balance chamber. I eventually removed it with a steel o ring pick, but upon shining a flashlight in the chamber I think I see a scratch in there. From what I read that's bad news. With my reg the chamber probably isn't replacable, so it's game over right?

Bummer. I feel your pain.

But, you might be "ok", depending on if the scratch passes through were the O-rings are seated. Not a all scratches are "created equal".

It is never a good sign, and it would be far better to replace the balance chamber, but if that is not an option, then at this point, were it my regulator, I'd reassemble and test it (carefully!!).

Leave it pressurized for a good long time, checking the IP periodically for creep.... purge or breath it a few times, watch the IP for a good consistent lockup.... leave it pressurized and go do something else, come back in 15 minutes..... repeat..... if the IP remained "good" after repeated testing, maybe over a few different days, I'd probably call it "good", but check the IP before each dive day (for awhile).

Let us know how it goes for you.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom