Palm Beach FL Dive Report - Sat 7/25/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out yesterday morning with Pura Vida based out of the Lake Park marina. Always a great little marina to dive out of! We went south to dive Tear Drop and then Dive-O-Rama. Tear Drop is down by Mar-a-Lago and Dive-O-Rama is off of Palm Beach proper where Worth Ave meets the A1A. It was a beautiful day topside with sunshine, upper 80s, widely scattered showers, and unseasonably comfortable from a humidity perspective. I was surprised at how comfortable it felt out honestly. Surface conditions were pretty choppy with a decent swell (probably 2-3'), 1-3' waves and some surge noticeable down on the reef. The viz was not stellar but it varied widely. At times it was maybe 15-20' but in other locations it was 30' and maybe more. The current was north but very mild and resulted in two very relaxing, enjoyable dives. Water temps were 83-84 down on the reef and a bit cooler on the surface most likely due to summer rains.

I did not see any of the typical larger life (sharks, Goliath Grouper) and surprisingly did not see any turtles. But I spent my time engrossed in the reef life instead. Always a joy!

Below are a few short clips using a GoPro Hero8, no filters with color correction in Dive+. Nice and simple.

Enjoy!!

Really pretty queen angelfish (or handsome maybe if it's a male) followed by a cute porcupine puffer.

Scrawled Filefish feeding. You can see how their shape is an advantage feeding in the nooks and ledges of the reef.

Stoplight Parrot, Orange-spotted Filefish, then two Green Moray Eels together. I think they may be a mating pair perhaps. Not sure. You typically don't see two together like this. Any thoughts?

I've never seen so many Sergeant Majors together like this and their colors were so vibrant. It was very cool. Maybe this is normal but I don't recall seeing so many swimming about together in a fairly small space. Any thoughts on this behavior? It was almost a swarm LOL.

Two hermit crabs. Kinda creepy my wife said. LOL

Have to love the colorful names the dive ops have come up with for the reef

Have to love the colorful names the dive ops have come up with for the reef

Yup. They’ve all got their own unique names for them. That’s why I try and describe where they are located when I post reports. I don’t assume the reef name means anything to those who use other charters or their own boats.

Thnx for sharing

I've never seen so many Sergeant Majors together like this and their colors were so vibrant. It was very cool. Maybe this is normal but I don't recall seeing so many swimming about together in a fairly small space. Any thoughts on this behavior? It was almost a swarm LOL.

Two hermit crabs. Kinda creepy my wife said. LOL

Great videos. Super nice. The water looks clearer than I remember (I was on that same boat). I really like the Pura Vida crew and Zak is a great Captain. Yup, surprising, the bigger loggerheads are gone.

I went out yesterday morning with Pura Vida based out of the Lake Park marina. Always a great little marina to dive out of! We went south to dive Tear Drop and then Dive-O-Rama. Tear Drop is down by Mar-a-Lago and Dive-O-Rama is off of Palm Beach proper where Worth Ave meets the A1A. It was a beautiful day topside with sunshine, upper 80s, widely scattered showers, and unseasonably comfortable from a humidity perspective. I was surprised at how comfortable it felt out honestly. Surface conditions were pretty choppy with a decent swell (probably 2-3'), 1-3' waves and some surge noticeable down on the reef. The viz was not stellar but it varied widely. At times it was maybe 15-20' but in other locations it was 30' and maybe more. The current was north but very mild and resulted in two very relaxing, enjoyable dives. Water temps were 83-84 down on the reef and a bit cooler on the surface most likely due to summer rains.

I did not see any of the typical larger life (sharks, Goliath Grouper) and surprisingly did not see any turtles. But I spent my time engrossed in the reef life instead. Always a joy!

Below are a few short clips using a GoPro Hero8, no filters with color correction in Dive+. Nice and simple.

Enjoy!!

By the way, several of us saw five carribean reef squid on the Dive-o-Rama dive with Patrick. I was hoping you filmed them as I only have a bad photo.

By the way, several of us saw five carribean reef squid on the Dive-o-Rama dive with Patrick. I was hoping you filmed them as I only have a bad photo.

You were on the same boat?! Sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet! It’s tough in these COVID days unfortunately with face masks & no handshakes. Which diver were you?

No I unfortunately didn’t see the squid. I had already separated from the larger group at that point. I was bummed I missed them. Reef squid are awesome!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom