Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday in Jupiter, we had a very hazy 40 ft of vis. At Area 51 the vis was consistent from top to bottom. We went north to Capt Kirls and the top 20 ft was horrible and vis was 40 ft below that.

Went out on Aurelia for diving yesterday. Captain Jason running the boat, with Emilio and Amber as divemasters, crew did a great job. There were 22 people aboard, for those of you who don't know this boat, 22 people is not a crowd, its a big boat. We did Bath & Tennis for the first dive, and Teardrop for the second dive. On both dives visibility was excellent top to bottom, about 90 feet. Current was mild on both dives, just enough not to have to swim, but easy to stop and investigate whatever it is of interest without effort. On Bath & Tennis water column temp was 85f, with cooler 81f water in the bottom 10 feet. On Teardrop the water column was the same 85f, but the thermocline of 80f water started about 35ft depth and went to the bottom. Did REEF fish surveys on both dives. 73 species in 60 minutes on Bath & Tennis, 55 species in 60 minutes on Teardrop. The difference in species count from staying higher in the water column on Teardrop.

When doing REEF fish surveys, the amount of each species is counted as follows. One fish is marked "S" for single, 2-10 fish are marked "F" for a few, 11-100 fish are marked "M" for many, and greater than 100 fish are marked "A" for abundant. The fish that were abundant on the two sites yesterday, were Gray Snappers, Bigeye Snappers, Bicolor Damselfish, Bluehead Wrasse, Creole Wrasse, Tomtates, French Grunt, and Brown Chromis.

I have been using a iphone 12pro in a sealife housing, for video and photography. I have not been using a light, the iphone does an excellent job of color correction for most of the shallow water dives I do, no greater than 25 feet. I bought the Backscatter Macro Wide 4300 and have been experimenting with for greater depths. You can see the French Grunts are well lit below, Respectively, French Grunts, Tomtate Grunt Video, Glasseye Snapper Video, and Juvenile Spotted Drum Video,

07-28-23 French Grunts.jpg

I had to google that cause we just call them white grunts. Now I know the correct name, Thanks and also Thank you for the conditions report so we know if an upwhelling is sneaking up on us.

Went out on Aurelia for diving yesterday. Captain Jason running the boat, with Emilio and Amber as divemasters, crew did a great job. There were 22 people aboard, for those of you who don't know this boat, 22 people is not a crowd, its a big boat.

Pura Vida is my go-to boat in Palm Beach for a reason. Two great boats, especially Aurelia, fantastic captains, well trained and experienced crew, parking literally right next to the boat, restrooms nearby, 5 minutes to Force-E Riviera Beach for fills. Many very good operations in Palm Beach, but you just can't beat Pura Vida in my opinion.

Pura Vida is my go-to boat in Palm Beach for a reason. Two great boats, especially Aurelia, fantastic captains, well trained and experienced crew, parking literally right next to the boat, restrooms nearby, 5 minutes to Force-E Riviera Beach for fills. Many very good operations in Palm Beach, but you just can't beat Pura Vida in my opinion.
Likewise. About the only operation I use in this area. Cpt Jason and Dean are excellent.

I had to google that cause we just call them white grunts. Now I know the correct name, Thanks and also Thank you for the conditions report so we know if an upwhelling is sneaking up on us.

I did the back side of B&T on Friday. Below 60 feet it was a cool 76-77. 81 above 60 feet. Def a sharp thermocline. Same on the Castor yesterday in Boynton. Hopefully we don’t get another upwelling.

Dove this morning (9/9/23) with Pura Vida. We did Juno Ledge and The Corridor. 83 degrees, light north current, and 50 feet of viz on Juno Ledge. Similar conditions with a stronger North current on The Corridor.

7-9 GG’s on the Ana C. My buddy and I followed a few inside the wreck and were promptly barked at to leave. Swam the length of the wreck inside as usual and then went off to the Mitzpah.

Great top side conditions and a great crew as always. Good times all around. Fingers crossed the swell we’re expected to get next week doesn't muck up the visibility too much.

... Glasseye Snapper Video...

As is often the case, you leave me scratching my head once again. Is a big eye snapper the same as a big eye toro? Or are they different fish? When I catch a toro, I can ID it by the smell. In the water like this, I don't have that crutch to fall back on.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom