Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surface conditions were calmer and more manageable than forecasted due to the long period and west winds. Forecast was 4-6’ but the period was so long you hardly noticed. All the Palm Beach boats were out (Narcosis, Walkers, Pura Vida) while most of the Jupiter boats canceled. Perhaps it was rougher up north? (Edit: I did see Scuba Works ran and had great conditions).
Helpful, thanks. We're scheduled to dive West Palm and Jupiter next weekend and forecast is similar.

..Surface conditions were calmer and more manageable than forecasted due to the long period and west winds.
Glad you got out. Wave forecasts have been crud for this week & next.

Went diving out of Palm Beach today with Pura Vida. We hit Ron’s Rock to South Flower Garden & 4th Window to Turtle Mound. Surface conditions were calmer and more manageable than forecasted due to the long period and west winds. Forecast was 4-6’ but the period was so long you hardly noticed. All the Palm Beach boats were out (Narcosis, Walkers, Pura Vida) while most of the Jupiter boats canceled. Perhaps it was rougher up north? (Edit: I did see Scuba Works ran and had great conditions).

Very mild N current with a noticeable surge. We had nice blue water, 60’ viz & 75-76F water temps. Two beautiful, relaxing dives.
Looks like Scuba Works, Salty Divers, and Emerald made it out of Jupiter at least. I imagine with the long (10-second plus) wave periods I was seeing in the forecast, getting in and out of Jupiter Inlet would have been the main concern.

Went diving out of Palm Beach today with Pura Vida. We hit Ron’s Rock to South Flower Garden & 4th Window to Turtle Mound. Surface conditions were calmer and more manageable than forecasted due to the long period and west winds. Forecast was 4-6’ but the period was so long you hardly noticed. All the Palm Beach boats were out (Narcosis, Walkers, Pura Vida) while most of the Jupiter boats canceled. Perhaps it was rougher up north? (Edit: I did see Scuba Works ran and had great conditions).

Very mild N current with a noticeable surge. We had nice blue water, 60’ viz & 75-76F water temps. Two beautiful, relaxing dives.
No Lemon sharks? We were on the same sites March 4 with Calypso. It was an eel “explosion” with Green Morays and Spotted Morays out and about everywhere. Also saw the first Loggerhead of the season. Viz was poor on that day and the water was cold.

Another day with far better conditions than forecasted. Is this 3-5’ with occasional 6’?? Nope!!

7478FBFE-4EF1-4866-888D-5FEEB6D61B1F.jpeg

Viz was down a bit from yesterday to 30-40’, mild N current, 75-76 F water temps.

Did Bath & Tennis and Flower Garden.

No Lemon sharks? We were on the same sites March 4 with Calypso. It was an eel “explosion” with Green Morays and Spotted Morays out and about everywhere. Also saw the first Loggerhead of the season. Viz was poor on that day and the water was cold.

Saw a few lemons yesterday and today, but not too many.

Another day with far better conditions than forecasted. Is this 3-5’ with occasional 6’?? Nope!!

View attachment 774088

Viz was down a bit from yesterday to 30-40’, mild N current, 75-76 F water temps.

Did Bath & Tennis and Flower Garden.

I forgot to mention that I went out with Pura Vida, which is no surprise to those of you that read my posts. Pura Vida is easily my favorite Palm Beach charter. This morning there was only a small course with an instructor and three students plus myself. So I was the only, true charter customer. I literally had a private dive guide towing the flag for me on both dives. It was so nice! I made sure to tip Ambar and Nicole well because it was such a nice experience and because I knew they weren’t gonna make a whole lot of money on the charter without any other customers outside of the students. Maybe the forecast scared off the other divers, but it was sure nice to almost have the boat to myself.

With the time change, we were leaving the marina right at sunrise.

83B0D4C3-9993-4606-8D3D-7047B841097F.jpeg

54C888F8-052E-4971-9A64-08DC33456860.jpeg

Beautiful- I love a good sunrise!

I am due for a trip down to WPB, hoping for sometime in late April or early May

March 18–Pura Vida Dive. Full boat.

We went out yesterday morning. Waves about 1 to 2 feet. Not bad. Dropped on Ron’s Rock. Visability was fantastic (compared to recent particle-filled water dives) at the start of the dive—50 ft but deteriorated towards the end of the dive to about 30 feet. Mild current.

The second dive was on Elevator Shaft. Viability about 30 ft with a stronger current. The water was cold 75F. I wore a 5mm and froze at the end of the dives. Looking forward to 82F.

High points:
Flying Gurnard
2 big Bull sharks cruising the reefs
A squad of squid
Yellow Headed Jawfish
Sailfish Blenny
A couple of sharptail eels
…and the “regular” reef fish in full force including big schools of Glasseye Snappers.

Lovely dives

Attachments

• 0587B461-CFCA-40C5-894A-2C72DB0E73E5.jpeg
    0587B461-CFCA-40C5-894A-2C72DB0E73E5.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 2C62610A-F4CA-43AB-86D4-ABCC77BB5B9E.jpeg
    2C62610A-F4CA-43AB-86D4-ABCC77BB5B9E.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 7804AEB6-D1A1-4044-AFD0-91B27358FCEF.jpeg
    7804AEB6-D1A1-4044-AFD0-91B27358FCEF.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 5D60F115-AC92-4FE5-83E9-66C7EAC9DABE.jpeg