Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went yesterday too. Diving a little Northeast of you. Saw the plane go by and also saw a wahoo on the hang, that was cool. Also saw a big shark, MAYBE a tiger, didn't try to close the distance and look for stripes, LOL. Very weird diving with no current, hardly know where to go, how to navigate or how to move; even with a scooter.

Made it out with Narcosis today. 4-6 foot seas. Several sick out of town divers during the surface interval. 76 degree water but 60-70 feet of viz! Winter diving in south Florida has arrived!

Nearly made a limit of bugs on the patches on the first dive. Left the lobster gear on the boat for the second dive to focus on spearing. Nothing for me but my buddy got a nice yellow Jack to boot! I almost mistook a juvenile Goliath for a black grouper back in a little cave but quickly realized it before I made a very bad mistake. Saw two gigantic nurse sharks on the backside of breakers and two bulls. Overall a nice (albeit rough) day on the water. Captain Alex, as always, gave my buddy and I stellar drops and safe pick ups. Top notch captain, crew, and boat at Narcosis.

Made it out with Narcosis today. 4-6 foot seas. Several sick out of town divers during the surface interval. 76 degree water but 60-70 feet of viz! Winter diving in south Florida has arrived!

Nearly made a limit of bugs on the patches on the first dive. Left the lobster gear on the boat for the second dive to focus on spearing. Nothing for me but my buddy got a nice yellow Jack to boot! I almost mistook a juvenile Goliath for a black grouper back in a little cave but quickly realized it before I made a very bad mistake. Saw two gigantic nurse sharks on the backside of breakers and two bulls. Overall a nice (albeit rough) day on the water. Captain Alex, as always, gave my buddy and I stellar drops and safe pick ups. Top notch captain, crew, and boat at Narcosis.

In the winter it happens on pretty much every charter. At least a few green, barfing divers. It always amazes me that so many divers have either zero awareness of their limits or are clueless about the forecasted sea conditions. I can typically pick them out before we even leave the dock. I love the ones popping a bonin as the boat is leaving the dock. I think to myself, “Ummm, it’s a bit late for that!”

In the winter it happens on pretty much every charter. At least a few green, barfing divers. It always amazes me that so many divers have either zero awareness of their limits or are clueless about the forecasted sea conditions. I can typically pick them out before we even leave the dock. I love the ones popping a bonin as the boat is leaving the dock. I think to myself, “Ummm, it’s a bit late for that!”
One of my good diving buddies and I have a sick joke where we try to predict who on the boat is going to barf first. We’re usually right.

I’ve been there and learned quickly (at a young age because I used to get car sick all the time) when I need to prep for rough conditions (I.e. pop a drammy first thing in the morning). There’s no better way to throw away $100 than to get sick on a dive boat!

.. Overall a nice (albeit rough) day on the water.
Did you guys come back to inside the inlet between dives? or just stay out.

I missed you by a weekend. Be sure and post a trip report either on this thread or as a thread of your own. Whichever you prefer.
Ok I k now it took me some time but here is the brief trip report for July 2022. (next post)

Palm Beach Trip Report - July 16, 17, 18, 2022 (my first report write up for SB)

July 16/17/18, 2022 - overcast, winds at 17 knts and waves 4 to 6 feet almost every day.
The Operator - Pura Vida out of Riviera Beach, with Tod (DM).
Two groups of seven (7) per DM. Our group went into the water second, and as soon we hit the water three divers came out and stay on boat. They were green looking.
The boat (can't remember the name) had snacks, & cold beverages through the trip. Filtered Drinking Water. Soft weights & weight belts. Christmas tree style ladders. Fresh water camera rinse Marine head (toilet). We had a great safety conscious, fun crew! - Tod, Nick, Jose, and the Captain.

On July 16 we drift dive North Floral garden and saw lots of loggerhead turtles sleeping under the ledges, red channel crab, school fish, lots of sponges, eels. The second dive was at 4th Window Reef and saw lots of coral banded shrimp, Balloon puffer, Four eye butterfly, porcupine, snappers, squirrel, blue chromis. Nico was the DM and guide on this dive.
On July 17 we drift dive South Flowers Reef with Jose (DM) from Argentina and saw several loggerheads, chromis, several angels, and eels. We also dive the site called Dive'O'Rama with Danielle (DM). We had strong surf in the afternoon and again several green faces and bow-wow over the side of the boat. We saw green turtles, loggerheads, trunk fish, snow flake eels, scissortail sergeant, ,queen angles, semicircle angel. Re-entry onto boat was tough due to high waves and I ended up on my belly while missing the tree ladder.

Highly recommend diving with Pura Vida. Great crew, fun people, clean boats, and good snacks !

Sunday 1/1/2023:

Beautiful day on the water. Light winds, calm seas, and warm air temp. Went out with PVD for their afternoon deep trip. No hunting, just swimming and relaxing. We did mid-reef to spearman’s barge. Excellent dive. First time I’ve made it to spearman’s. The barge is loaded with life! We saw a small school of big (36”+) amber jacks, a nice black grouper who must have known it was January 1st, several big mangos, and hundreds of the familiar reef fish. Viz was ~50’. Water temp was 76-77.

Second dive was north on Juno Ledge. Saw a couple Goliath, a nurse shark, and a small reefie. A nice relaxing dive. It was nice to slow down and enjoy the scenery. I’ve been bugging/hunting so much that I almost forgot how relaxing diving can be. Great start to the new year.

Good to hear @CosbySweater , you liked Juno Ledge better than Barge ? How you compare Juno with Flower Garden?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom