Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date > June 24, 2022
Dive Site > 120 Deep near Horseshoe & Gov's wreck trek
Temps > 80 on the bott, 80 at the surface
Current > Weird today- @ deep 1knot,,,,,,But the wrecks-ripping 4knts so bad they aborted the dive
Viz top to bottom with a little hazy on the sand.
Topside, so calm we actually water skied - no rain.

Got out today (7/9/22) with Pura Vida with Capt Jason and mates Todd, Dave & Nicole. I was joined by a longtime buddy of mine from the Midwest who now lives near Orlando. We last dived together on Lake Huron many years ago. It was a treat to dive together again.

We did Bath & Tennis followed by Ron's Rock to South Flower Garden. Topside was a bit bumpier then I expected. 2-3s with a short period. Very mild north current on both dives and 84-85 water temps. Viz was 50-60 at points and probably 40 at others. Only saw a few loggerheads and all of the usual reef fish. Nothing spectacular but good dives regardless. Did see some red algae on both dives @scubadada.

Tomorrow my buddy & I are on the deep boat with Pura Vida.

My buddy and I dove yesterday, Sun 7/10, with Pura Vida. Captain Jason with a crew including Lawrence, Ambar, and Aaron. Top notch service as usual. We dived Juno Ledge and Midreef. Topside conditions were much calmer ... 1-2' at most with a 6-7 sec period. Current was much stronger than Sat. I'm awful at measuring current but I'd call it on the strong side. Definitely more than moderate but not the worst I've seen. There was a bit of a thermocline on most of Juno ledge around 60' or so dropping the temp to 79. It was 84 above the thermocline. Midreef had a much milder thermocline. I had 82 on the bottom and 84-85 above. Vis was not as good as yesterday. It was in the 30-40' range on both Juno Ledge and Midreef.

Good dives. Nothing extraordinary but good dives regardless. A member of the group saw a hammerhead on Midreef but alas, I did not. :confused:

I ran into @CosbySweater in the parking lot at Lake Park Marina. He was heading out for some hunting. It was nice to chat briefly. Always fun to run into fellow Scubaboarders!

My buddy and I dove yesterday, Sun 7/10, with Pura Vida. Captain Jason with a crew including Lawrence, Ambar, and Aaron. Top notch service as usual. We dived Juno Ledge and Midreef. Topside conditions were much calmer ... 1-2' at most with a 6-7 sec period. Current was much stronger than Sat. I'm awful at measuring current but I'd call it on the strong side. Definitely more than moderate but not the worst I've seen. There was a bit of a thermocline on most of Juno ledge around 60' or so dropping the temp to 79. It was 84 above the thermocline. Midreef had a much milder thermocline. I had 82 on the bottom and 84-85 above. Vis was not as good as yesterday. It was in the 30-40' range on both Juno Ledge and Midreef.

Good dives. Nothing extraordinary but good dives regardless. A member of the group saw a hammerhead on Midreef but alas, I did not. :confused:

I ran into @CosbySweater in the parking lot at Lake Park Marina. He was heading out for some hunting. It was nice to chat briefly. Always fun to run into fellow Scubaboarders!
It was great to see you yesterday morning, @Divin'Papaw. I experienced similar conditions south. Governors/Double reef area had a ripping 3.5 knot surface current that mellowed out to 1.5-2 knots at depth. Viz was 30ish. We also had a similar thermocline. The viz and current made hunting difficult. Only a few fish we're brought on board - none by me or my buddy. Divers saw several loggerheads, a lone bull shark, and a few lemons.

I had the week off and dove every day except Wednesday off Palm Beach. Conditions were variable with viz ranging from 25-70 feet, currents from a trickle south, to nothing, to 1-2 knots north, and temps from 77 to 85. One dive on the backside of breakers on Friday saw most of the above!

On our way to Palm Beach,. Have few dives this weekend with Pura Vida (PV) 7/16 and 7/17…. Mornings!.. anyone else diving with PV this weekend?

On our way to Palm Beach,. Have few dives this weekend with Pura Vida (PV) 7/16 and 7/17…. Mornings!.. anyone else diving with PV this weekend?

I missed you by a weekend. Be sure and post a trip report either on this thread or as a thread of your own. Whichever you prefer.

I missed you by a weekend. Be sure and post a trip report either on this thread or as a thread of your own. Whichever you prefer.
Will do 👍👍

I was able to get out yesterday in Palm Beach diving with a buddy from Orlando. We went out with Pura Vida and we did flower garden and fourth window. Sea conditions were far calmer than forecast. We had maybe one or two footers with a nice long period. There was a trickle south current with a noticeable surge. Water temp was 78. We had nice blue water and visibility was about 40 to 50 feet.

The various fish species were very abundant. Large schools of Snapper, Grant, pork fish. All the usual tropicals, and multiple spotted and green moray sightings.

One cool thing happened during the surface interval. We were buzzed by an F-16, flying low and heading south along the coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom