Padi's supposed depth limits for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold on fisherdvm - we're now down to 10 years old. Of course there are limits. My son will be 14 next winter. He will be 290 odd days short of the magic PADI change to non-junior status. As I just said to Surly - there is a wold of difference between a highschool student and a 5th grader!

You gotta love those who have to blame someone for things they don't like...but then again, change and hope are the key words of the year.

I understand, and I am truly grateful for the concern. I was a maniacal diver 20-15 years ago. Kids slowed this significantly. When I first started diving, it was VERY rare to see anyone younger than 18 get certified (in my neck of the woods.)

My kids wanting to dive got us both back into it. I still love it. To be honest, I am not worried about his physiology - 14 or so is close to fully formed for a boy. His maturity and intellectual ability are ours to judge. I truly appreciate the advice from experienced folks.

I do know of a friend's son (15 years of age) who at 60 ft. got Narced and just was in a catatonic state. His dad had to pull him along and swim with him quite a distance before he "came out of it". It was a scary moment for my friend. His son just didn't understand why his dad was so upset. Did it stop him from diving deeper? No, they did it again after a surface interval and it occurred again at 60 ft. What does this have to do with this post? Just that Narcosis can occur at much shallower depths than some expect.

My son gets narced out in the shower. I don't know what goes through his mind - Pokemon, Spongebob or Transformers - but you have to yell at him to get out of the shower. And sometimes, he comes out of the shower with shampoo still on his head.

Great description fisherdvm! In our case it is the 17 year old daughter. Diverbizz - I guess my comment is if your friend's son got narcosis at 60 ft at 15, it is highly likely it would happen to him when he was 30 years old. There is just not too much different anatomically or physiologically between a 15 year old and an adult. Subtle neurological differences, and perhaps this has something to do with it, but this is all guessing.

Thanks for all the great advice,

Steve

TwoBitTxn:
Walter:
Other Open Water divers have made four dives to 60 ft in their class (yes, I know that would be a standards violation for PADI and one or two other agencies,

Open water 1 and 2 are limited to 40 feet. 3 and 4 are limited to 60 feet. I think your statement above is misleading.

TwoBit

You are correct in that I didn't give all possible information and it is possible someone could believe I was saying diving to 60 feet is a standards violation in a PADI OW class, but even you admit you know what I was saying. I think it is unlikely anyone would actually believe that was my message. Making 4 dives to 60 ft is a standards violation in a PADI OW class because the first two dives are limited to 40 ft. OTOH, I think your statement could also be misleading. You failed to note that the limit of 40 ft for the first two dives relate to PADI standards, that some other agencies allow diving to 60 ft on all checkout dives. Someone could easily believe you are saying Open water 1 and 2 are limited to 40 feet. 3 and 4 are limited to 60 feet for all agencies.

Strange that this post came up.Just last night someone called the facility and had questions exactly like this.The person who answered the phone had to ask me about the standards being that they are not a PADI instr.Maybe it was Steve who called..gave him the same answers he received here.

My son gets narced out in the shower. I don't know what goes through his mind - Pokemon, Spongebob or Transformers - but you have to yell at him to get out of the shower. And sometimes, he comes out of the shower with shampoo still on his head.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Boys .... I think it's almost universal.

The concept specific depth limits for specific certifications is a very dangerous one.

First, there are no "limits" for specific certifications. Agencies have no authority to set such limits. They only issue recommendations. An agency's authority to set limits extends only to their classes.

That's all well and good, but regarding the context of Mr. Schwartz's, it's unreasonable for him to assume that his teenage children are qualified to do everything he and his wife are.

They are kids, you are adults - there are many things in this world they cannot do with you, and many places they can't accompany you. Is it inconvenient when planning a dive vacation? Heck yeah - welcome to the tradeoffs of parenting - it means you face some difficulties childless people don't. If that's a problem for you, maybe you should have considered it before having kids.

Nothing annoys me more than going to a 10:00PM showing of an R rated movie and missing half the dialogue because behind you is a 5 year old who loudly asks the parent to explain all the things the kid shouldn't be seeing in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom