Padi's supposed depth limits for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surly (great name) I agree and understand, but truth be told, having seen my kids grow up, there is truly a world of difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old. Put differently a highschool freshman is a very different beast than a 6th grader.

Boy - did I ever open a can of worms.

I think the real issue here - unstated but there, is a 14 year old with 20 dives may well be as safe on a dive boat doing Santa Rosa wall on Cozumel than the tourist who barely knows which end of a regulator goes in the mouth - even though he is well over 14.

PADI will certify someone on NITROX pretty soon after OW. Should someone with 20 dives be going to 90 feet on mixed gas? I find that more terrifying than my 14 year old going to 80 feet after 20 dives.

stevenswartz:
At all dive destinations to which I have gone, I have seen far more problem from the obese 50 year old also with 30 dives than the 14 year old with 30 dives.

But that obese 50 year old is not your child....you were blaming PADI for imposeing restrictions on your child that were not fact based, I gave the theory behind the recommendation....do what you want....we gave you our opinion with some facts but you don't want to hear them....

I'm not buying this. If this is true, why isn't it enforced on a level field. Why will they take a newly certified OW diver to 90 feet?

You are right, I've seen this happen with bad outcomes several times. But the newly certified diver is a consenting adult and signed the waiver.

A child is dependent on the parent to sign a waiver. I guess this will pass too. But if a lawyer sees a case of a 10 year old SSI or PADI jr OW accompany his physician dad and mom to 80 ft, and drown from an OOA incident.... It will still spring a lawsuit against the boat owner, the boat captain, the divemaster, and the dive resort.

This is much less likely to happen if the diver has an OW card. I've had my log book checked ZERO times in all the dives I've done... Except for my C card and my word that I've had X numbers of dive and to what depth. An OW C card is a legal license to dive to 130 ft..... But when you are a junior, the liability can go beyond the diver and the parent who signed the consent form.

That is a fair comment - the final decision is mine based on what I belive to be safe - and of course what the operator will do.

OK, so hold on - by next summer he will have 20-30 dives at 20-40 feet - that is certainly a novice, but as many as many who do such diving. Will he be the most experienced on the dive boat - not by a long shot. Will he be the least - probably also not by a long shot. PADI wil know nothing of the dives he has done just that he will be a 10 months shy of 15. I am certainly happy to have him take the AOW cert. in Cozumel. Perhaps this will help satisfy both concern and legalities. To be honest regarding concerns 1 and 2 above. At all dive destinations to which I have gone, I have seen far more problem from the obese 50 year old also with 30 dives than the 14 year old with 30 dives. Re 3 - of course - his buddy will be either my wife or myself (other with 18 year old daughter.) That having been said, I have seen a number of dives terminated for this - NEVER because of a younger diver. Re 4 - not sure what the resort will say. Re 5 - you have a darn good point here.

To me, the two biggest questions remain, maturity and developmental effects. The latter is a big unknown. As parents, you and your wife are the best judges of the former. I have seen some kids who had awesome SAC rates and great skills. You want to make an informed decision, Doc's article posted a little bit ago was some great information. Best wishes to you all.

TwoBit

Hold on fisherdvm - we're now down to 10 years old. Of course there are limits. My son will be 14 next winter. He will be 290 odd days short of the magic PADI change to non-junior status. As I just said to Surly - there is a wold of difference between a highschool student and a 5th grader!

Steve, don't take our words harshly. We are all concerning parents too. It is just an interesting topic of discussion.

My 20 year old nephew has less maturity than my 12 year old son. The age of 10 is just an emphasis to make a point of liability.

Surly (great name) I agree and understand, but truth be told, having seen my kids grow up, there is truly a world of difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old. Put differently a highschool freshman is a very different beast than a 6th grader.

I couldn't agree more.... or maybe I could but how could you tell? Which is why I agree with the 40 limit for 10-11 year old and 60 foot from 12-14. There are absolutely some 14 year olds that have the maturity and skills to dive to 100 feet, but their is no way for the agencies to cherry pick which students have that maturity level and which do not. I'm sure there are some 14 year olds that could drive a car more competently than some adults I know, but because MOST cannot, it impacts everyone.

The name was taken off a boat I saw at a glance in the movie Finding Nemo. I have long red hair, I scuba dive, I'm testy... it just fit.....

Back
Top Bottom