PADI depth limits for Jr OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh wait....is there any chance of litigation resulting in lawsuits with enormous claims? Then yes, I would refuse too.
Good luck suing a dive center in a different country.

I know people have strong opinions about the proper depth limits for JrOW
Think "Bone Growth Plates"

Is there any evidence that diving affects growth? Last I looked, it was a, "Well, we don't know, so..." but I haven't spent any time looking.

Is there any evidence that diving affects growth?
I think the evidence is a supposition. I don't know of any objective evidence although it may well exist.

Suppose bubbles form in the bone growth plates....this has been opined to stunt normal bone growth, not at all worth the risk.

My 13yo son is a Jr OW diver with about 40 dives. He is certified by SDI to 60', but when diving at PADI centers, they limit him to 40', as per the PADI protocol.

Do PADI centers honor deep diver certs for Jr OW? eg SDI Deep Diver Course - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

I know people have strong opinions about the proper depth limits for JrOW, and if you would like to discuss that, please start a separate topic
Not sure what "PADI protocol" they are following. PADI Junior Diver certifications are based on the diver's age. 10 and 11 year olds are restricted to diving with parent, guardian or PADI Professional to a maximum of 40 feet. As a 13 year old PADI Junior OW Diver, the restriction would be that he must dive with an adult certified diver and a maximum of 60 feet. Continuing education (Jr AOW) allows the depth to be 70 feet for 13 and 14 years olds.

you left off the rest of my sentence: "I know people have strong opinions about the proper depth limits for JrOW, and if you would like to discuss that, please start a separate topic"

not sure what you hope to gain by hijacking the topic

Not sure what "PADI protocol" they are following. PADI Junior Diver certifications are based on the diver's age. 10 and 11 year olds are restricted to diving with parent, guardian or PADI Professional to a maximum of 40 feet. As a 13 year old PADI Junior OW Diver, the restriction would be that he must dive with an adult certified diver and a maximum of 60 feet. Continuing education (Jr AOW) allows the depth to be 70 feet for 13 and 14 years olds.
they just quote what they know (training depth) and have no incentive to do anything different

Exactly. Here is the Instructor Manual statement:
1701443834290.png

In general the SDI Deep Diver certification is equivalent to to the PADI Deep Diver certification.

SDI Standards state that "Divers between the ages of 10 through 14 cannot exceed 21 Meters/70 Feet."

Under PADI Standards, 10 and 11 year olds are limited to a maximum of 12 Meters/40 Feet based on age alone...regardless of equivalent certifications.

Once the diver turns 12, the SDI and PADI limitations are the same (21 Meters/70 feet), and once they turn 15 there are no longer any age based restrictions for the Deep Diver Certification (Maximum 40 Meters/130 feet).

not sure what you hope to gain by hijacking the topic
I did not intend for my post to be a hijack and am sorry you feel that way.

In terms of the health of a young teen-ager I think it is an important factor for a parent to consider. Many times the consideration is whether or not the teen ager is emotionally/psychologically mature enough.

The physiological implications are enormous and could negatively affect the child all of his life and I am not sure all parents of young teens are aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom