PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that's part of the point I'm trying to make. You did a lot of off-gassing on that dive.

I did.

But not so that a table would know.

I've watched enough pedants take up opposite stances and argue the hind legs off the nearest donkey enough times that it's no longer interesting. I'm out of here.

I guess that's part of the point I'm trying to make. You did a lot of off-gassing on that dive.

At what depth do you think he started off-gassing during that dive? :popcorn:

At what depth do you think he started off-gassing during that dive? :popcorn:
Measured with a micrometer. Marked with chalk. Cut with an axe. :rofl3:

Stay tuned for the next episode: How many angels can offgas on the head of a pin...

I agree with Peter; I'm outta here...

We need to know exactly how many minutes at 100 to know approximately what depth to make a guess about.

Don't know and don't care. But I bet if you ask him if he was fatigued after that dive he'll say no.

I felt great.

I would agree with that statement. The average person doesn't have the mathematical background necessary to understand deco theory.

What should be taught is:

how - which can be dramatically simplified by the use of tools such as PDCs, desktop software or dive tables, and

why - which is the potential consequence(s) of breaking the "rules" established by theory. It's similar to telling divers not to hold their breath while ascending otherwise they'll pop their lungs. While not entirely correct, it's more readily explained to the lay person than the actual physiological effects of AGE (which requires an understanding of anatomy), and it has the same results.

Well I teach real Deco theory in my OW classes....Along with tables....And if the student has one PDC's. IMHO they are all to important to miss.

This is a serious, and not meant to be insulting, question. Is English your first language?.

Yes it is actually....was posting from my Iphone, fat fingered I guess.

Not teaching to the highest level of understanding is not the same as not teaching something period. .
If you arent teaching it to the highest level of understanding, why bother?

Correct. So your prior comments about tables keeping you safe where computers do not does not apply with respect to planned dive profiles. .
Wrong....It is the only time it applies. An unplanned dive profile is crazy. Aplanned dive profile with either is good, however how many people write down thier planned profile when using a computer???

Ok, then what do you mean by the comment that tables never fail but computers do?.

What happens when the computer floods, or just craps out during a dive? Which is why when i dive one i carry two....but i will venture to say "most" OW divers have no concept of redundancy.

No one has argued that computers are better because people are more likely to use them to plan dives. Indeed, it's been noted that the lack of dive planning is a serious issue. It is also a different subject from what educational methods are most effective..
You are mistaken....Netdoc has made that claim. If you dont believe me, let me know and I'll go back and retrieve the multiple posts for you.

Back
Top Bottom