PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't changed the batteries in my tables for years.:D

Seriously, I never dive or plan a dive without tables. I only deviate from the tables to the computer if there is major multilevel and then only if I make a mental reality check with the table data.

I just completed my OW certification and we trained exclusivly with PADI tables. I feel confident that I can plan a dive and understand the general theory behind why and how the tables work. However after reading this thread I'm convinced that I need to do some additional research and reading on the subject. Can anyone suggest a book that is written for the average rec diver that will help me add to my basic training?

I only deviate from the tables to the computer if there is major multilevel
So, when the going gets tough, the tough use a PDC? I love it!

The sad part about this is that people erroneously equate table usage with "understanding" decompression and NOTHING could be further from the truth. Both tables and PDCs do the same thing: they provide a methodology to arriving at a SWAG about how much nitrogen you have absorbed. You certainly don't have to understand decompression physiology to work either and the only real benefit to working tables is that you get to sound macho for not relying on a PDC. I call Shenanigans! If you want to prove to me that you are a better diver, then don't walk on the coral, don't desert your buddy and do that FULL safety stop and not just a safety pause! Yeah, that's what happened on the boat this past Sunday. The ONLY table user on the boat did just that, but they were SO PROUD of their tables. Too funny!!

If you want to prove to me that you are a better diver, then don't walk on the coral, don't desert your buddy and do that FULL safety stop and not just a safety pause! Yeah, that's what happened on the boat this past Sunday. The ONLY table user on the boat did just that, but they were SO PROUD of their tables. Too funny!!

What ever gives you the impression anyone is trying to prove anything to you? lmao

Do you suppose the table diver would have been a better buddy if he was diving a computer? Yeah, you could draw a conclusion from your single experience with the table diver, but that would be painting with a rather broad brush....

What ever gives you the impression anyone is trying to prove anything to you? lmao

Do you suppose the table diver would have been a better buddy if he was diving a computer? Yeah, you could draw a conclusion from your single experience with the table diver, but that would be painting with a rather broad brush....
I just wish that they had better spent their time in class and actually learned how to DIVE and not just do tables. Is that really so much to ask?

The point wasn't that ALL table divers are bad... it was that knowing tables does NOT make you a safer/better/more competent diver. Like a PDC, it's just a tool to determine a SWAG. It was fun hearing her go on and on about how reliant we were on our PDCs only to see these poor diving skills. I would have smiled if it weren't so tragic!

In my experience, tables take 20 minutes to teach and about an hour to master. If all they learned was the tables, it wasn't due to the rigors and complexity of that task. I'd venture a guess that she likely had a crappy course and was lucky to even know the tables. I've seen the same level of skill you describe from an instructor wearing a state of the art PDC.

So, we drop tables from the curriculum. Will that make better/safer divers? I seriously doubt it and wonder what will be the next 'relic' people will ask to drop.

I just wish that they had better spent their time in class and actually learned how to DIVE and not just do tables. Is that really so much to ask?

The point wasn't that ALL table divers are bad... it was that knowing tables does NOT make you a safer/better/more competent diver. Like a PDC, it's just a tool to determine a SWAG. It was fun hearing her go on and on about how reliant we were on our PDCs only to see these poor diving skills. I would have smiled if it weren't so tragic!

I've seen the same level of skill you describe from an instructor wearing a state of the art PDC.
No doubt. But table usage obviously does not make anyone a safer, a better or a more competent diver. It will not assist you in understanding Diving physiology: it's JUST A TOOL for determining a SWAG about your nitrogen loading JUST LIKE A PDC. Where have I said any different?
So, we drop tables from the curriculum. Will that make better/safer divers? I seriously doubt it and wonder what will be the next 'relic' people will ask to drop.
I am not asking YOU to drop tables from your curriculum. I just want the choice for ME to do so. I DO think you should teach people to dive the tool they are most likely to use: the PDC. I just don't worship the tables like you do. They are a hassle and not necessary for competent diving, though they can be a part of a competent diving program.

In reality, SDI has given me that choice and I will continue to teach SDI almost exclusively for OW. I like an agency who keeps up with technology and changing times.

I just completed my OW certification and we trained exclusivly with PADI tables. I feel confident that I can plan a dive and understand the general theory behind why and how the tables work. However after reading this thread I'm convinced that I need to do some additional research and reading on the subject. Can anyone suggest a book that is written for the average rec diver that will help me add to my basic training?

Search on TSandM's name, and then followe her signature line link that ends the part about " you've learned the (xyz), now go here for the real physiology (or something like that.) Good link to indepth discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom