PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the tables are useful and should be taught in OW. But more importantly, so should the computer because most of the diving we do is multi-level and repetitive making the tables irrelevant. Moreover, I think it would be useful to have a dive computer whose algorithm is adjustable by the user. I'm waiting for one to come on the market.

PD

Moreover, I think it would be useful to have a dive computer whose algorithm is adjustable by the user. I'm waiting for one to come on the market.

PD

There are several computers where you can adjust your gradient factor and/or level of conservatism. Adjusting the gradient factor adjusts you decompression model in a predictable fashion.

Moreover, I think it would be useful to have a dive computer whose algorithm is adjustable by the user. I'm waiting for one to come on the market.
The Oceanic OC1 is the first dive computer powered by an exclusive Dual Algorithm, Pelagic DSAT (Spencer/Powell data basis) or Pelagic Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C data basis).

PADI has updated the OW course for Computers. I dive with a computer and now carry tables with me because unknowingly i have gone into Gauge mode (hit the wrong button stupidly) and without the dive tables on the boat for a weekend trip my diving would have been over if i did not have tables with me.

Didn't PADI finally get rid of the wheel recently?

I dive a computer and I like the ease of use that it offers as well as the logbook feature, but I also carry a set of tables with me when I dive just in case I have a problem with my computer. Whenever I fill out my logbook, I get the depth and time data from my computer but then I use the tables to fill out the dive profile in my book. This keeps me sharp on how to use the tables.

Just my 2 Cents.

Whenever I fill out my logbook, I get the depth and time data from my computer but then I use the tables to fill out the dive profile in my book. This keeps me sharp on how to use the tables.

Just my 2 Cents.

Really? Do you not find that for most dives, especially repeat dives you're completely off the tables nearly all the time?

60minute dives to 30m depth where you only spend 2 minutes at depth etc?

Actually yes I do.

But since the point of the exercise is just to remain proficient in the use of the tables, I just use the highest pressure group available for a given depth. Additionally, it reinforces for me the value of my computer and its ability to calculate my no deco time in multi-level diving so I don't feel so bad about the $$$ Bling I shelled out for it.

Hi,
as mentioned in one of my previous posts, we have been working with several manufacturers to develop "Online Specialty Classes" for dive computers.

As recently announced by Oceanic in this POST we have now released our first online specialty class for dive computers: the Veo 100 Specialty Class.

You can see a YouTube Video or take the class HERE

We will have more by DEMA. Stay tuned.

Alberto

I am one of those divers who use the dive tables exclusively. I prefer the Navy tables, but I recently picked up a copy of the PADI tables because that is what my boys are learning to use. Personally, I do not need, or want, a dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom