PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt. But table usage obviously does not make anyone a safer, a better or a more competent diver. It will not assist you in understanding Diving physiology: it's JUST A TOOL for determining a SWAG about your nitrogen loading JUST LIKE A PDC. Where have I said any different?
Diving a PDC will not lower your cholesterol and knowing tables will not make you a better diver. Who is arguing otherwise? Certainly not me.

I am not asking YOU to drop tables from your curriculum. I just want the choice for ME to do so. I DO think you should teach people to dive the tool they are most likely to use: the PDC. I just don't worship the tables like you do. They are a hassle and not necessary for competent diving, though they can be a part of a competent diving program.

In reality, SDI has given me that choice and I will continue to teach SDI almost exclusively for OW. I like an agency who keeps up with technology and changing times.

It sounds like you have exactly what you want, so what's your issue? Do you want me to agree with you? That's not going to happen.

BTW, propping up your argument with inflammatory statements is as transparent as it is ineffective with me. I worship God, I dive tables.

Diving a PDC will not lower your cholesterol and knowing tables will not make you a better diver. Who is arguing otherwise? Certainly not me.
Yet, quite a few have and in this thread. I don't see you correcting them. Preferential treatment?
It sounds like you have exactly what you want, so what's your issue? Do you want me to agree with you? That's not going to happen.
No, I still don't have total freedom to teach as I please. I would like to see NAUI adopt this, but they are stuck in the dark ages too! :D
BTW, propping up your argument with inflammatory statements is as transparent as it is ineffective with me. I worship God, I dive tables.
Pot, meet kettle. Have a great day.

At entry-level, tables practice forms the academic foundations for a conceptual understanding of how time/pressure equate to nitrogen loading and off-gasing.

These concepts can be learnt from using a computer, but not so intuitively.

No. The tables do not form a foundation. The instruction occurring at the time forms the foundation. The table is an abstraction. An accessory.

These concepts can be learned just as easily, perhaps more so, with a computer.

that is about as stupid as telling a pilot that since we have gps and auto pilot he doesn't need to learn stick rudder and compass...

that is about as stupid as telling a pilot that since we have gps and auto pilot he doesn't need to learn stick rudder and compass...

Sorry. Your analogy does not work. The original poster said that tables teach decompression theory. They don't. They are one way to measure decompression, the theory of which can be taught any way you want.

it's not about theory it's about knowing what the hell your doing ..so i guess in your eyes those of us who dived long before pdc's should all be dead since you find the tables useless? it shows in the quality of new divers most of them can't think on their own ...they are helpless without the beloved and all knowing pdc remove the pdc from them and they look like deer in headlights...but gee they shure look pretty with hands folded neatly in front of them as i said in another post please in detail enlighten me on how to survive a dive without a pdc? what the hell do you think the pdc software is based on? TABLES.

Last edited:
Change is difficult, I still have 60 for 60 and 100 for 25 etched in my brain. Even the tables have metamorposed (?) over the years.. The tables were the "law". I still question my computer when my head tells me it's time to start up. Was kinda nice, revisiting tables in deco procedures though. I loved the old days, would I want to go back "Hell No". Actually last week was the old days.

Done rambling, time to clean the drool bucket.

it's not about theory it's about knowing what the hell your doing ..so i guess in your eyes those of us who dived long before pdc's should all be dead since you find the tables useless? it shows in the quality of new divers most of them can't think on their own ...they are helpless without the beloved and all knowing pdc remove the pdc from them and they look like deer in headlights...but gee they shure look pretty with hands folded neatly in front of them as i said in another post please in detail enlighten me on how to survive a dive without a pdc? what the hell do you think the pdc software is based on? TABLES.

No, the software is not based on tables. The software is based on science. The tables were a way to represent that science, and now the computer is the prevalent way to represent, and live with, that very important science.

Today, essentially all engineering drawing is done using a kind of software called CAD. Computer assisted design. More currently, solid modeling software is the rapidly emerging reality.

Years ago all engineering and architectural drawing was done on a board, using pencil, paper, and either a T-square or a drafting machine. First came arm type machines and then the track machine.

People who learned on a board were heard to say that anyone should learn on a board before moving to CAD. The foundation was on the board. Important skills came from the board. Learning a way to think came from the board. ...and so on. I regret to say I was one of those people.

Now, using AutoCAD and Solidworks, and having gotten a long ways away from a board, I realize I was wrong.

Twenty years from now this thread will not happen because the few old surviving examples of tables will be kept in a drawer as curiosities. People will sell them on ebay or collect them.

There will be no more controversy, as all the rabid defenders of tables will be gone.

Judging from the length of this thread, people are just going to have to agree to disagree.

well excuse me !!!!!!....but i belive the model used for my data mask is based on modified haldanean tables . what TABLES are your pdc based on? and what the hell does the history of drafting have any relation to do with dive tables ? the bottom line is weather you dive a pdc or hard copy TABLES you are still diving tables .not explaining the model used and how it's used is really sad .after talking with a few current coast guard divers that live next to me they had one thing to say about S D I not teaching any tables "Scary Dangerous Incompetent" the only course sdi forgot to teach is how to label a bodybag.I find it somewhat strange that having asked the question to some of the "instructors" here to explain in detail to me how to dive without a pdc have gone silent? could it be that they know the answer but are to dam arrogant to admit it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom