PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feeling uncomfortable with change and the unknown is natural.

Uncomfortable is the correct word there, not an issue with change...with only 7 dives I'm hardly set in my ways. I whole-heartedly want a PDC...someday I might even own one lol. Got a spare laying around you wanna give me? ;oP

Currently, even though I know the tables and can plan my dive, I wouldn't go on a dive with another inexperienced diver. Thus, I also wouldn't go out for the first time with a PDC without knowing how to use it except in theory without having planned it out with tables first. That's just me though. Not saying everyone feels the same way. I would have just liked to have PDCs covered more in my OW class. I'm a programmer...if I can use a computer, I much prefer it. That's all my point was regarding teaching both and since the OP was in regard to teaching PDCs instead of tables.

Uncomfortable is the correct word there, not an issue with change...with only 7 dives I'm hardly set in my ways. I whole-heartedly want a PDC...someday I might even own one lol. Got a spare laying around you wanna give me? ;oP

Currently, even though I know the tables and can plan my dive, I wouldn't go on a dive with another inexperienced diver. Thus, I also wouldn't go out for the first time with a PDC without knowing how to use it except in theory without having planned it out with tables first. That's just me though. Not saying everyone feels the same way. I would have just liked to have PDCs covered more in my OW class. I'm a programmer...if I can use a computer, I much prefer it. That's all my point was regarding teaching both and since the OP was in regard to teaching PDCs instead of tables.

When I learned to dive back ten years ago, the instruction was basically along the lines of "we're going to teach you tables, test you tables, but you will probably buy a computer after the class and never use the tables again".

It was a pragmatic and fairly true statement by the instructor. I bought a Suunto Cobra after the class, and sure enough after a 5 minute talk and using it once in the pool, I was good to go with it.

Recreational computer diving is pretty boring and non-dramatic.
"Go down, watch your no-deco time, come up, watch your ascent rate".

These days now that my average dive tends to be 60+ minutes, watching the no-deco time is even more important. Back when I was just-certified, I was lucky to get within 10 minutes of deco-stop when diving a computer because my SAC rate was so horrible.

The only thing I really had to "learn" with my computer, was how to set the Nitrox mix.

I don't regret learning tables though. I think by learning tables first, you have a healthier respect for the no-deco times on the computer.

How experienced of a diver were you when you started to use one? I have 7 dives under my belt... including my discover scuba and OW cert dives and have never seen a computer at work. Would I feel comfortable strapping one on my wrist and relying only on that with 5 minutes of training in it's use? No. Maybe I'm overly conservative. I don't mind that. However, I'd probably feel more comfortable with doing something like that had I had some very basic PDC training in my OW class. At least I'd know basically how to read it and what things were. Even with a PDC, I'd probably plan my dives using tables...at least in the beginning.

I did my first 120 dives or so using tables. Those dives were the best of my life: Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, the Maldives. Of course I like tables. Specifically, the NAUI tables.

But Nitrox complicates life. Not only do I need to fiddle with the computer to make sure it has the right mix and then watch the NDL, I have a new thing with total oxygen (OTL - Oxygen Toxicity Limit, as it's known). One more thing to mess with and another table to use if I'm not using a computer. Now your NDL is the shorter of nitrogen uptake or oxygen exposure limit. Both, of course, are a function of depth and time. That's just too much stuff to write on a slate and track underwater. So, I bought a computer. Four of them for our small herd.

When you go to buy your computer, have them demonstrate ALL of the functions. Pay careful attention to the menu navigation. Pay even more attention to what you might want to do while submerged. Three button computers are easier to use than 2 button computers which are (perhaps) easier than 1 button computers. I had a long discussion with a fellow one day and we came to the conclusion that the more buttons the easier. But they need to be big buttons and well spaced for cold water mittens. Look at the owner's manual. If it is written in Klingon, try another computer.

I don't believe a 5 minute introduction is sufficient for a computer that tracks altitude, fresh/salt, ppO2, a couple of mixes, nitrogen bar graph, oxygen bar graph, alarm indications, ascent rate indication, Nitrox mix default at midnight, etc. There's just more to it than that. Like log book functions, PC interface functions, downloading, battery replacement, etc.

One problem with some computers is that the only time you can see an alarm icon is a) in the book, b) on the startup screen where it is surrounded by jibberish and c) when it applies to you and you are underwater. AFAIK, very few computers let you simulate a dive and see what the display will look like when it really matters. The first time you get that mandatory deco indication may be the very first time you have ever seen it. "Hm... I wonder what that means?" I don't think any of the manuals can be used under water.

One computer that does allow for dive simulation is the Liquivision X1 with the V-Planner Live software. It's terribly expensive. I WANT one...

Sadly, I don't think you will find more experienced divers that are still using tables. I understand your desire to dive with more experienced people. I felt the same way. That's why I took NAUI OW I, OW II, Advanced OW and Rescue as back-to-back courses. I spent a lot of time with the instructor before I ventured forth to conquer the oceans.

Here's an Oceanic computer for $200 Oceanic Veo 180 Wrist Computer Another for $150 Oceanic Veo 100 Wrist Computer (My grandson has this one in a console).

Here's one that costs a bit more but the downloader is CHEAP! Uwatec Aladin Prime Wrist Dive Computer I bought this for my wife but she took my NiTek Duo so now I'm using it. It takes an hour or so to catch on to the menu navigation. The book doesn't help. As to downloading: you need an IR dongle for your PC like this: DealExtreme: $4.83 USB IRDA Dongle The software is EXCELLENT and it comes free with the computer.

Don't overlook the cost of the downloader gadget. For the NiTek Duo it is a couple of hundred dollars depending on where you buy it. I got a couple of these computers at a great price from ScubaToys but the last time I looked, the price was back up where everybody else is. I think I paid $50 for the downloader as an incremental cost for the computer.

If you really want, and you probably won't, you can put most computers in GAUGE mode and dive tables. As a refresher, perhaps?

Richard

And one last thing: the NAUI dive tables contain deco entries should you happen to overstay your NDL. Let's suppose you overstayed the 25 minute NDL for 100 feet and got a little closer to 40 minutes. No problem, just hang at 10' for 15 minutes. This based on the 1987 NAUI table which I just happened to grab out of a pile.

Silly as it might be, I can actually PLAN to overstay the NDL. Not a good idea but at least the table tells me how. Not too many computers let you see a plan that overstays the NDL. They'll let you do the dive but they won't let you plan it,

No, I don't recommend overstaying the NDL. I'm just saying that the NAUI tables are pretty nice. Too bad I can't read them underwater any more.

Richard

Silly as it might be, I can actually PLAN to overstay the NDL. Not a good idea but at least the table tells me how. Not too many computers let you see a plan that overstays the NDL. They'll let you do the dive but they won't let you plan it,

Try using desktop software like V-Planner.

Try using desktop software like V-Planner.

But the dive table was always in my BC pocket. Software doesn't do much in terms of accidentally overstaying a limit. I would never recommend deliberately overstaying.

Richard

you must not dive much outside of your area..??

I use tables for rec dives. I carry NAUI tables in my drysuit pocket and know many divers who don't use a computer at all.

Sorry, but my observation is that nearly all divers use a computer proflile. Perhaps your geography is an outlier, I wouldn't know.

Good diving, Craig

you must not dive much outside of your area..??

I use tables for rec dives. I carry NAUI tables in my drysuit pocket and know many divers who don't use a computer at all.

Sorry, but my observation is that nearly all divers use a computer proflile. Perhaps your geography is an outlier, I wouldn't know.

Good diving, Craig

...... One problem with some computers is that the only time you can see an alarm icon is a) in the book, b) on the startup screen where it is surrounded by jibberish and c) when it applies to you and you are underwater. AFAIK, very few computers let you simulate a dive and see what the display will look like when it really matters. The first time you get that mandatory deco indication may be the very first time you have ever seen it. "Hm... I wonder what that means?" .......

THIS is going to change very very soon. We are crazily adding new dive computers (and other things) to our simulator and pretty soon you will be able to see (and play with it) EXACTLY how your dive computer behave underwater ... without getting wet.

Alberto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom