PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you aren't suggesting that all tables are the same, and that reading the manual and understanding the concepts are unimportant, but still I don't follow that post.

me:
This is why - computers shouldn't be taught instead of Tables. Each computer is different. Reading the manual is important, and understanding the concepts are even more important.

I should have said, "Reading the manual (for your PDC) and understanding the concepts are IMPORTANT."

Understanding the concepts of and being able to read a dive table, will give you enough info to be able to read the PADI Table, NAUI table, NAVY table, or IANTD Table, and equally understand the display on most any PDC screen.

People who understand how a dive table works, and how to plan a NDL dive, will easily understand the information a dive computer is telling them.

......... So, I suppose if you limit divers to 60', for a single dive per day and a single tank of 80 cu ft or less per dive, you could perhaps skip tables entirely at the OW level. But is it a good idea to water down the OW course more than it already is? It is not like learning tables is difficult, and if it is, should that person really be diving?

Dead on. If you aren't going to learn the tables, forget multiple dives and anything past 60'.

If you want more than that, aquaseal yourself to an instructor or learn something. I would love to see the tables dropped as an OW requirement. Then what one would expect from an OW would be in line with what, by my observations, the average OW retains a year after the course.

Suggestion: Let them continue to dumb down OW. Just add a level above AOW, something like IOW (Independent OW).

Suggestion: Let them continue to dumb down OW. Just add a level above AOW, something like IOW (Independent OW).

It wasn't dumbed down but NAUI used to have OW I, OW II and Advanced OW followed by Rescue.

Richard

It wasn't dumbed down but NAUI used to have OW I, OW II and Advanced OW followed by Rescue.

Richard

My guess is that market pressures are forcing a lowering of standards to gain a greater number of people willing to spend money on diving.

Just as an observation, I could have a lot of OW fun by learning and diving RGBM tables that don't exceed 60' on the first dive. A monkey could learn these tables.

(apologies to my primate ancestors, no insult intended)

Page 7 of my Suunto Cobra 3 computer says, as a Warning, USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS! Make sure that you use back-up instrumentation , including a depth gauge, submersible pressure gauge, timer or watch, and have access to decompression tables whenever diving with the dive computer.

My Oceanic VEO 250 does not say anything about backup instruments. Of course it isn't air integrated and a spg is required with it anyway.

Thought it was interesting that SUUNTO warns and maintains decompression tables should be available.

...... Then, have a minor specialty class in computers. Not a 5 minute presentation, something with a little meat. Maybe a couple of hours. Perhaps the course is tailored to the specific computer the student is buying........

Hi Richard,
this is going to happen very very soon :wink:
We are working with several manufacturers to produce such (online) classes using our simulator.
Classes will be interactive with text, voice narration, lot of "how to" videos, quizzes and final test. Also, users will have the option to "practice" with the dive computer using our simulator.
So far we have already 7 dive computers in our simulator.
Plan is to release this new tool by DEMA with ~20 dive computers. Then, tanks to our technology, we should be able to add 5 to 10 dive computers every month.

...... Since this specialty is related to equipment purchase, I would expect it to be free (except for the C card) with the purchase of a computer.....

Not sure about this ....
Do you get a free Peak Performance specialty class when you buy a BCD?
Or do you get a "gas management" class when you buy a tank?
Or a dry suit specialty class when you buy a dry suit?
Of course if the manufacturers want to offer the class for free to their customers, we will gladly support them.

Alberto

Why teaching students using a non existing (generic) dive computer instead of teaching them with an existing (specific) one?

Alberto

Read carefully--they will do both.

Sometimes bad stuff happens. Not to me, of course. But to other divers. At least in the case of the NAUI tables, they make an attempt to help you recover.

That's another neat feature of some computers! If you get in a position where a deep deco stop is required the computer ABANDONS you. It simply pukes and displays "Use Tables". Right in the middle of the dive. There you are, down deep, low on air, totally screwed and your computer pukes. Sure, you shouldn't be there. But there you are...

That's another thing to look for when selecting a computer. Read over what happens when you get in deep trouble. If the manual even hints that the computer will abandon you, try another computer.

Please do us a favor and identify the computers that do this. This is the first I have heard of this.

I think he's just regurgitating info he doesn't understand himself.

It sounds like he is describing the process employed on some computers if you violate decompression.

The computer doesn't abandon you.... it just can't provide you with an ascent profile if you have sufficiently violated its algorythm...by ignoring it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom