PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy's 3rd Law:
  • It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
  • Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently capable fool.
  • Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot.

Yep...some computers have a 'master reset' switch...and you can always remove-replace the batteries :wink:

Maybe...

Read the Oceanic VEO2x0,pdf document on page 57 "Immediate Violation Mode and Gauge Mode"

In other words, if a deep stop is required, this computer reverts to gauge mode. No help whatsoever with deco on the way up. That is not hopeless but it wouldn't be my first choice. I don't do deco dives so I have no idea what it would take to get in that situation.

It's the same story for the VEO100 but the ceiling is at 70 feet.

Same story for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 at 60 feet.

The VR3 computer goes to "Use tables" if a microbubble stop is missed. It will be displayed for the next 24 hours.

I'll admit that the diver had to mess up badly to get into a position where these deep stops are required. I'm not sure a purely recreational single tank diver could get there. My concern is that the computer literally gives up. Right when you really need it.

I don't promote doing dives that might result in any of these situations. I don't promote the concept of deco dives and prefer to stay strictly within recreational limits.

Richard
I think that page 56 tells you differently ...
"Delayed Volation #2"
"you must ascend to just deeper than, and stay as close as possable to 60 feet (18 meters) .... When the Required Stop Depth indicates 50 ft/15m, etc, You can ascend to those depths and continue decompressing."

The "Immediate Violation Mode and Gage Mode" that you refer to ... "is preceded by Delayed Violation Mode 2"

... which brings up the post below and my questions on just how deep and how bad do you blow the NDL's to get a deco stop depth of over 60+ feet
... says that it can not calculate deco obligations for stop depths much over 60ft (over 70ft)
And that you need to ascend to just under 60ft depth for it to to continue calculating deco time ...if you do not ascend to just deeper than 60ft, it will revert to gage mode

60ft sounds pretty deep for an "accidental" deco obligation caused by an NDL overstay by just a minute or two at recreational depths

I need to see what a deco planing software has to say about what would cause a greater than 60ft stop depths

Yep...some computers have a 'master reset' switch...and you can always remove-replace the batteries :wink:
My computers manual specifically states that the computer will NOT reset if I remove the battery even for an extended period of time. Something Ive actually tried when I had to replace the battery and the manual is actually right. Guess its got a built-in backup battery that I wont try to access..

Some tables won't even give you deco times.

All tables give you deco times (i.e. depth/max ascent rate + SIT), but not all give deco times for non-'no stop' profiles.

:dork2:

Every dive has three limits: time, gas and depth.

Every dive has one primary limit (gas) and a couple of secondary limits (cold, hunger, boredom, etc.). I don't include time or depth because they are both functions of the primary limit.

My guess is that the most common way that recreational divers "go into deco" is by having a computer that resets itself to 21%, when they are diving Nitrox. At least, I know several people who have bent their computers because of that error. What's really annoying is that, unless you follow the computer's output and do all the (actually unnecessary) stops, you're locked out from using that computer for 48 hours, making the thing an expensive wrist ornament.

I love the Liquivision. If you don't do what it wants, it blinks at you, shrugs its shoulders, and goes to work on the next dive. So the fact that I forget to gas switch the computer when I gas switch me doesn't make the device any less useful.

All tables give you deco times (i.e. depth/max ascent rate + SIT), but not all give deco times for non-'no stop' profiles.
Semantics. I am not impressed with word games. We all know what Deco means: you have passed your NDL.
Every dive has one primary limit (gas) and a couple of secondary limits (cold, hunger, boredom, etc.). I don't include time or depth because they are both functions of the primary limit.
Yeah, I disagree. If I am on a commercial boat, they might want me up in an hour regardless of how far I am away from deco or how much gas I have. I often give my AOW students a floor and see if I can entice them deeper. Three limits work for me, but feel free to use what works for you! As for personal limits, those are important too. Training, skills, etc are all important in ascertaining if a particular dive is for you or not.

However, if you just planned your dive using one of the rec tables, you have probably chosen one depth's NDL and one 10 feet lower. Your depth limit is very important.

I have an older computer, it does not allow me to plan dives.

Yesterday, the wife and I were going to a quarry. We stopped for an early brunch, planned out our day(when we'd dive, how deep, how long, how much surface time) so that we could do the dives we wanted to do, and be out of there when we wanted to leave.

We dove our plan, our computers happily chugging along telling us where we were with regard to time and depth.

We left right on time, having spent a happy day doing the dives we wanted to do.

Something that would have been impossible to do if we never learned tables and were only trained on how to look at the depth/time/deco limits of our particular computers. Our cards came with our OW course many years ago, and instead of spending several hundred dollars each on new computers whenever the next newest model came out, we've collected more tanks, lights, and so on.

Semantics. I am not impressed with word games. We all know what Deco means: you have passed your NDL.

Naw. Deco means you have 'compressed' and are ascending or have ascended. Anything otherwise (i.e. passed your NDL) is the word game.

Yeah, I disagree. If I am on a commercial boat, they might want me up in an hour regardless of how far I am away from deco or how much gas I have. I often give my AOW students a floor and see if I can entice them deeper. Three limits work for me, but feel free to use what works for you! As for personal limits, those are important too. Training, skills, etc are all important in ascertaining if a particular dive is for you or not.

Limitations such as "be back in an hour" may exist, but they are artificial and not imposed by the dive.

Giving your students a floor is likely a representation of MOD, which flows down from gas.

Personal limits (such as experience/training) I completely agree with, so much so that I consider it to be implied.

I am curious about how the lockout works with different computers. Here's how it works with mine.

I have a 10 year old Suunto. When I violate NDL's it gives me a deco profile. If I leave the water without following that profile, it goes into gauge mode for 48 hours.

The worst I ever violated it was several years ago on a planned dive to a maximum depth of 180 feet into the hold of the San Francisco Maru in Chuuk. I had a total bottom time of 15 minutes. I had prior knowledge of what a good decompression profile would look like, but I followed the profile the computer gave me. It guided me through an ascent profile that was consistent with what I expected. When I was done, I got on the boat with no problems and with a computer that was ready for the next dive.

If I had not followed its profile and left the water too quickly, it would have locked out its functions and gone into the gauge mode. But it would not have happened until then.

In other words, it would not have abandoned me because I violated NDLs and gone into gauge mode during the dive; it would have gone into gauge mode after I abandoned its remedy for my NDL violation.

Perhaps yours works differently.

Naw. Deco means you have 'compressed' and are ascending or have ascended. Anything otherwise (i.e. passed your NDL) is the word game.
Spoken like a purist. I am a pragmatist. %99 of the Diving world uses deco to mean "passed the NDL". I'm gonna go with that. But I guess the best way to win an internet argument is to redefine a word to agree with your outlook.
Limitations such as "be back in an hour" may exist, but they are artificial and not imposed by the dive.
When you surface in 90 minutes and the Coast Guard is on site looking for your butt, it may not seem so artificial.

Besides, limiting your time on the first dive helps extend your dive on the second. I stick by time, depth and gas as being the three big limits you discuss before you splash. Communicating these limits with your buddy is paramount if you are going to be able to complete the dive together. Take Conch Wall down in Key Largo. We can go shallow or deep depending on what we want to see/accomplish. If you go deep while I stay shallow, then there will be a lot of disparity in your following NDLs.

Back
Top Bottom