PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I don't recall typing a word about "my way." If you go to say, Cozumel, and dive with a bunch of experienced divers you would probably get snickers and the DM would watch you closely. That's ALL I'm saying. I'm not "making fun" of anyone.

That has not been my experience in Cozumel or anywhere. In 24 years of diving I have never once encountered that....quite the opposite actually. I've had many diver approach me and ask me about continuing education and for diving advice in general. The DM's pay little attention to me and focus on the newer, less experienced divers.

Joe-Diver:
See post above...on my dive bag and will be on my DAN fleece pullover.
Ahhhh, yes.

Master Scuba diver, Experienced Diver. <200 dives in 24 yrs.

Yea...I might chuckle.

JeffG:
Ahhhh, yes.

Master Scuba diver, Experienced Diver. <200 dives in ten yrs.

Yea...I might chuckle.

Only because I'm honest about dives I've actually logged....I sure wish I'd logged them all....I'm one of those that log some, but have not logged the great majority. Sure, I could increase my "logged dives" to the amount I think I've done over the years, but that's not what it is...

Joe-Diver:
That has not been my experience in Cozumel or anywhere. In 24 years of diving I have never once encountered that....quite the opposite actually. I've had many diver approach me and ask me about continuing education and for diving advice in general. The DM's pay little attention to me and focus on the newer, less experienced divers.

Who do you dive with there? I have never had a discussion with any fellow diver in Coz about "continuing education" except maybe a couple of questions about diving Nitrox. It's mostly..."did you see?" best margaritas, places to eat. Maybe patches are some sort of ice breaker for you?

fisherdvm:
From what I heard, the rescue patch worn in a proud manner can help you pick up girls. I bought 6 of them for all of my jackets, but so far, no hit yet. Of course, it might be that I drive a minivan and my wife is with me half of the time....

I will give you a report once I upgrade my vehicle, and hang out at bars instead of the grocery store.

hahaha. I was going to patch bash, but might need to pick up one of those rescue ones - I'll put it on the old Lifeguard shirt :D

I find that the relationship between the number of certification/specialty patches of any agency displayed by a diver and the diving skill of that diver are usually inversely related. For example, I wear absolutely no patches (not even scopalomine) and look at me. Hmm, maybe I am an exception to this rule! Of course I dive solo so no one can really find that out.

Sideband:
Snorkel? Nobody cares what color your snorkel is because only lame-o's wear them.:wink:
Interesting. I don't "wear one" anymore, but do carry the fold up variety in my pocket. It sure came in useful on the weekend when a diver from the other group in our boat ended up coming up well away from the boat. The diver missed the guide rope at the dive site and the current took its toll. The diver pulled the MOF routine and was waving arms. So off I went from the boat using a snorkel while the boat had to wait for the rest of the divers who had just surfaced.

In the end it turned out that the arm waving was a bit of bad swimming stroke.

BTW, it is not just PADI that issues patches. I recently took a DAN DEMP course and submitted the paper work for the card. They sent me a card, a PATCH, a t-shirt, and a ball cap.

drbill:
Hmm, maybe I am an exception to this rule!
I don't think so.

Why does someone wear a patch? Because they will to show other people their accomplishments.

Why do they want to show their accomplishments? Because they want respect.

But when you know that the patches (ie PADI specialties) are easy peasy to get, whats the "worth" of the patches? Not much. But you could look good to someone who doesn't know any better.

I once got a bunch of patches, that was when I was in boy scouts though. . . I wore em on a cute little sash maybe you guys could do that with them . . . :popcorn:

Uh, military types love patches. In the military patches mean something, and you can tell the entire history of a soldier/marine/sailor by what's on his/her uniform. And, there are some people who are given slack for many things in life, I choose to allow ex-military divers their patches without comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom