PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I guess I started the equivalent of a "Yo Mama" round of jokes. So, what are you guys trying to say?
Seriously, I get it that the guy who yells the loudest doesn't always know the most. But...I'm in the military, and I collect....you guessed it, patches. Also, I figured if you did put Rescue, or Dive Master, or Instructor somewhere visible, it might give newbies a little more reassurance. But I guess not. Well, thanx for the responses.

In the past I think we have come to the conclusion that some patches are accepted and some are not.

Military - Accepted
Professional (non diving e.g. PD or FD) - accepted
Locations - accepted
Hell's Angels - Accepted
PADI - Not accepted

:)

Phestr:
Wow, I guess I started the equivalent of a "Yo Mama" round of jokes. So, what are you guys trying to say?
Seriously, I get it that the guy who yells the loudest doesn't always know the most. But...I'm in the military, and I collect....you guessed it, patches. Also, I figured if you did put Rescue, or Dive Master, or Instructor somewhere visible, it might give newbies a little more reassurance. But I guess not. Well, thanx for the responses.

It's not quite the same. Anyone, no matter how horrible a diver they are, will pass any recreational PADI course and get their patches, except at the pro and technical levels. Sometimes I wear my TDI cap, but I really want one like Babyduck's which says "Stroke." :lol:

Hey Phestr...

Ignore these clowns... wearing or NOT wearing patchs can be an 'ego statement'... or it can just be what ya' do. Personally, I'm lookin' forward to putting the 'Rescue Diver' patch on my jacket right next the DAN "I took a bunch o'courses" patch...

Do what makes ya' happy... don't give in to the 'fashion critics' out there... If ya' do the next thing ya' know they'll have ya' worring about what color snorkel ya' wear and whether it's cooler to wear 'ninja black' or some custom "60's psychodelic" thing...

Plan yer' own dives...

Rock on...

I have patches sewn on my dive bag....I've had it for 10+ years and it's well worn but holding up...I paid extra at the time for a really good one and it sure has been worth the extra $$.

I have my OW, AOW and Rescue patches sewn on along with some specialty chevrons. I'll sew on MSD and Divemaster once I earn DM and receive the MSD patch. I also have a patch from the Dolphin Research Center sewn on the pocket, and I have 4 DAN patches for the DEMP class I took that will go on the pocket as well. I have a DAN DEMP patch, the one with all 4 on one patch, and a DES patch on the way. These will go on my DAN pullover fleece.

I like my patches. I like them and wear them. I don't care what anyone else thinks or "approves" of. I wear what I like to wear. If someone else doesn't like it or approve of it, I really don't care.

ScubaTexan:
Have you tried PADI.com?

PADI does not sell them direct. You have to get them from your instructor. The guy at the counter gave you the blank stare because he is probably not an instructor and does not use the PADI pro web page.

Phestr:

If you have a patch and you want to wear it, I say go for it. Wear it on your boat coat wetsuit or wherever. As you learned in basic training, everything you where on your uniform tells a story. Same with the PADI Patches. Just Because you earn it, does not prove competence. It is a rite to continuing your education, and I applaud you for your efforts.

I want to get a patch for my wet suit that says "Paying Customer". Actually this patch would be appropriate to wear at a lot of bussinesses.

TheRedHead:
It's not quite the same. Anyone, no matter how horrible a diver they are, will pass any recreational PADI course and get their patches,
That may be the case wherever you are. In the end, it is my name on the card. If I feel like that person is not up to "Standards" I will not issue a certifiation until remedial training has been conducted and I am sure, they can and will be safe.

Back
Top Bottom