PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
You can meet PADI standards and be a horrible diver. You can be a horrible diver PADI instructor. That's just the truth. I know some instructors who just don't dive anywhere challenging. Point is that patches just don't mean much and truthfully - and I am not trying to be arrogant or mean - you might get some snickers on the dive boat.

Since when has taking a course make you an expert. No matter if it is an open water course, a specialty course or a profesisonal level course, once you have the card in hand, it does not make you the greatest diver at that level. Even as an Instructor, I enjoy watching other instructors, because I am always learning. I coordinate my classes so when my open water students arrive, they see a rescue diver class ending and it inspires them to want to continue to learn. Or if I am on a dive boat and I see someone using a Digital SLR Camera, or Twin Tanks, or an Argon tank, It sparks my interests, and strikes up a conversation. Likewise, when someone is in the galley of the dive vessel with there boat coat on, and a new diver sees that he has a specialty in Search and Recovery, that diver may be inspired to ask questions about the course, and at a later date, take the course him or herself, which in the end means, a better diver, because he is diving more and gaining experience.

As for diving anywhere challenging, I am limited to the dive sites I can dive, where I live. Which re-inforces what I said above. Just because I am an Instructor, does not mean I am superior to those around me. Of all the logged dives I have, less than 20 of them are in the ocean. I look towards those who have experience in the local diving environment. Infact, the PADI Discover Local Diving program is a great orientation to wherever it is I am diving. As far as teaching goes, I WILL teach my students in an enviornment that will allow them to focus on the tasks they are required to perform. Again, it is preparing them, and giving them the tools they need, to dive safely. Once they have learned and mastered the basics, they will be better prepared to take on more challenging sites.

If an open water diver comes to me, with his patch on his gear bag and says that he needs a buddy, I will dive with that person, because he enjoys diving and will be ready to gain experience. I will stay away from the egos and the arrogant ones, regardless of whatever rating they may hold.

Ahh...I'm ex-Army...maybe that explains my affinity for patches....before the Army I never wore them or had them....didn't even think about it really.

TheRedHead:
Who do you dive with there?

Whoever has a dock outside the hotel....so it depends where I stay.

drbill:
I find that the relationship between the number of certification/specialty patches of any agency displayed by a diver and the diving skill of that diver are usually inversely related. For example, I wear absolutely no patches (not even scopalomine) and look at me. Hmm, maybe I am an exception to this rule! Of course I dive solo so no one can really find that out.

The scopalomine patch is one I do wear. No one would want to dive with me otherwise. :wink:

How does that work for you? Does it wash off? I'm prone to seasickness and use Triptone or Dramamine (same thing)...works like a champ but makes me drowsey about an hour after taking it...this only lasts about 30 mins though and once it passes I'm fine.

ERR I am military, I def don't collect patches. . . Maybe thats because I am SSI though. . . SSI doesn't give patches away. . .

Joe-Diver:
How does that work for you? Does it wash off? I'm prone to seasickness and use Triptone or Dramamine (same thing)...works like a champ but makes me drowsey about an hour after taking it...this only lasts about 30 mins though and once it passes I'm fine.

Very effective for me. It last for about 48 hours and then your replace it. I've never had any side effects and have never had one wash off. The OTC pills do not work as well for me.

jhbryaniv:
ERR I am military, I def don't collect patches. . . Maybe thats because I am SSI though. . . SSI doesn't give patches away. . .

No, you have to pay extra for them. :D

daniel f aleman:
Nice pin/patch there for your avatar.

Thats my old Battalion coin. . .

BTW An old E-7 once told me something that has stuck with me, Just because a troop has an S.F., Ranger and Airborne tab and a rack of badges above his left breast pocket that doesn't make him a good troop.

Joe-Diver:
That has not been my experience in Cozumel or anywhere. In 24 years of diving I have never once encountered that....quite the opposite actually. I've had many diver approach me and ask me about continuing education and for diving advice in general. The DM's pay little attention to me and focus on the newer, less experienced divers.

When I was DMing I would do the oppisite, just because someone has the patches doesn't mean they learn anything

Patches
And
Decals
Included

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom