PADI IDC is killing me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the academic stuff is the same as the stuff from Divemaster class, right? Why is it such a problem if it is just review???

As I pointed out on a previous statement..Its all about how prepared you are.If the DM course was done properly all the academic info should be a walk thru the park at an IDC/IE...The IDC teaches you the agency protocols and how to teach.The AI course is very helpful to do before the IDC and with an AI certification you should assist a few courses with an experienced instructor,ideally a IDCS instr.
Think of the AI course done this way as an insurance policy for success at an IDC.

The only problem I saw was that for quite a few of us, it had been some time since the DM exams and stuff you don't use everyday gets foggy. I broke out all my DM stuff before I left and reviewed it all for a month so didn't have any problems working the problems. I think what caught folks at the IE was not completely slowly reading the question, anticipated what the question wanted, and grabbed the wrong answer. The standards test is open book and you do several of those throughout your IDC in the AI portion. It's just time consuming because you want to ensure you know the answer and I found the digital version of the manual easier to use than those of my class mates who were using paper. A lot of the time, I just typed in the search and got the answer up in no time.

I had the week long 'intense' version. Long days, short night to prepare for the next day and maybe get some sleep. It's hard but as others have stated very rewarding. It got easier as the week progressed so hang in there!

If you get the rescue w/o a pocket mask, don't forget to pinch the victims nose when you do the breath - we practiced with the mask so that little point escaped me on the rescue. Also do NOT let the victims airway close even for a second. We really went over the Rescue in the C/W of the IDC (when we were done with the presentations).

Despite my asking for a month or so before the class, I didn't get my materials until the first day of class.

I'm surprised they even let you start, as I believe it is a Standards violation. It may not be, and an IDCS or CD can correct me here if I'm wrong, but in the Candidate Workbook it specifically states in Section 1 of the Introduction:

"Prior to the start of an IDC, AI course or OWSI program, you must complete all Knowledge Reviews."

There's quite a bit of reading and studying to do before the course, and I'm not referring to review of your existing materials from OW through DM.

In my case, my IDC has been broken up. I did the AI course last November and have been working a few classes as an AI, conducting Scuba Reviews and Discover Scuba. My OWSI portion starts in April, with sessions Tuesday/Thursday evenings the first 3 weeks, then pool/lake sessions on 2 weekends, flexible scheduling. So, my IDC is much less of an impact to my life than one of the "boot camp" style courses.

I'm very fortunate though to have a 5 Star IDC 10 minutes from my house!

Is it normal to want to crawl up in a ball somewhere and die after your first few days of the IDC. The only other student in the class dropped out after the first day, and I feel mentally drained at this point.

If its a well run course, yes. A lot of work in the IDC means the IE is easy as you've come across everything and know what you're doing.

We had 7.30am to 7pm for the 11 days preceding mine. You get back to hotel at 7.30 then have to prepare usually a practical lesson and a lecture or sometimes an exam so finish maybe by 9.

Yes it was hard but it was also superb preparation for the IE.

Also those were a hell of a lot less hours than when you actually get a job in most places. Working 15 hours a day, 7 days a week for 6 months for example in the Mediterranean as a new instructor was more tiring.

We all turned up to the IE tired but felt prepared. At the end of the IE i just remember standing there extremely tired, aching but thinking "that last 2 weeks was worth it". Especially seeing other groups that didnt appear as well organised or prepared.

I don't know if it was a standards violation or not. The work was not difficult at all, just time consuming, and with the long days and short nights, finding the time to complete the "busy" work while preparing and working on my presentations, other homework and gear cleaning and preparation added quite a bit of stress to the whole situation.

Thank you for all the support and nice PM's. I am very happy, and a lot less stressed, to tell you that weekend 2 left me feeling the exact opposite of the first weekend. I felt so much better leaving the shop last night then I did last weekend. I'm starting to think I may actually make it to the IE :D

I guess I just needed to find the groove so-to-speak, and now I'm finding things aren't so terrible. I'm even managing to pull 4.5's on my Lesson plans and Perscriptive lessons plans. My confined water presentations are getting similiar results. I guess being the only student left in the class is working to my favor as I am now 1-on-1 with the staff instructor.

I guess being the only student left in the class is working to my favor as I am now 1-on-1 with the staff instructor.

Awesome getting the 4.5's!

My AI course was just me and my IDCS....it was nice having the one-on-one but I didn't get the benefit of watching others and learning from their mistakes.

When is your IE?

As per one of the TB's last year, the candidate now has to complete each relevant Knowledge Review from the IDC candidate workbook, prior to the IDC class presentation, so it wouldn't be a standard violation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom