PADI IDC is killing me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is it normal to want to crawl up in a ball somewhere and die after your first few days of the IDC. The only other student in the class dropped out after the first day, and I feel mentally drained at this point.

I'm guessing you are doing an intense short course. I can see how that would be draining.

Mine wasn't so I wasn't

Best wishes to you.

TwoBit

Hang in there! Is this your first weekend? During my IDC, I thought 'I have a good career that pays well. I enjoy diving with friends. Why am I doing this???' Things will start clicking in place and you'll get the hang of it.

My CD is a friend and as such he expected more and challenged me more. Nothing I do is ever good enough.. :D Made me that much better!

I find that the more prepared students at a IDC the less stressful for them..If anything in the diving knowledge workbook is a problem get to a point where it is not..
Not required to do before a IDC,but very helpfull is completing a AI course with an IDCS instructor and then work with the instructor during ow classes..Do a few ow courses and then take IDC..You will redo AI program first days and will be sharp for the acad/confined water/ow presentations.

The IDC to me was alot tougher than the IE. That being said, don't count on the sample test theory and standards to ace you through the IE test. I continously aced the samples but when I was sitting there with 90 minutes staring at me for the standards test, I took 86 to complete it. The theory test is 12 questions in each section, so read them CAREFULLY! Then read the answers and read the question again. Don't automatically jump down and answer. I almost boo booed a couple of times and caught myself. The questions will look familiar to those on the sample test you are or will be taking during the IDC, but they are asking for the answer in a different way.

But to answer your question, yes, there were many times during the IDC I wondered what in the world I was doing there. Looking back on it, it was a blast. Oh, and BTW, just make sure what the questions are asking.

During my IDC, I thought 'I have a good career that pays well. I enjoy diving with friends. Why am I doing this???' !

Thx everyone for the encouragement. Ann, thats exactly what was running through my head today.

looking forward, I guess I have until next weekend to destress and study.

good luck with it.

IDC and IEC were both very eye opening, but after the whole ordeal, was very gratifying. The first few days were very tough, but it got better. For me the presentations were the worst, and I'm a talker, but when it came time too tell the instructor(new student) about what was too come, I can't remember ever trippin over my tongue so much!!! It seemed so odd that something I had done so many times was so hard to relay to a new student.( things you take for granted now days vs. the way it was during your first few days of diving.) But by far, the worst part was the academics. The water skills were all second nature, as well should be at this time. Looking back, it's easy too say now, like in the begining, being calm and relaxed was the key to diving, it seems that those key elements would help in the instructor end.
Hope things get better for you and GOOD LUCK!!

Joe

I felt like I was being put through the grinder. Despite my asking for a month or so before the class, I didn't get my materials until the first day of class. It would have made things much easier to have gotten the knowledge review stuff done before the class. Very intense and stressful, but very very rewarding when you're done.

All the academic stuff is the same as the stuff from Divemaster class, right? Why is it such a problem if it is just review???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom