PADI Deep Diver course- gas management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm.

I know the area i took the course in can get some pretty gnarly currents even down to the ocean floor. Could be a local thing, could be a shop thing.

Regardless, I got to shoot 4 of them from as far down as 120ft. All in all good skill to learn, and they saved me from having to take the PADI DSMB Course
What size tank were you diving with on the 120' class dive?

What size tank were you diving with on the 120' class dive?
We were approaching NDL at 105 and 120 on air with Aluminum 80’s.

120 I surfaced a little under 800psi, 105 I came up with 1000 left, so not a huge loss on time. Also considering our time at those depths was about 15ish and 10ish minutes respectively, it’s not a tremendously huge amount of time we’d be talking about gaining.

I would have liked to have done NITROX, maybe do an intro to NITROX twins and have messed around a bit more. that said, pretty much all courses are just intros. I left with a notebook full of planning notes and considerations, got to see some cool stuff and hang out with some cool folks so I was happy.

We were approaching NDL at 105 and 120 on air with Aluminum 80’s.

120 I surfaced a little under 800psi, 105 I came up with 1000 left,
So, as you were just about to surface, your buddy has some kind of catastrophic failure/issue and goes on your octo, could you get both of you to the surface, with safety stops, on your remaining 1000 psi?

So, as you were just about to surface, your buddy has some kind of catastrophic failure/issue and goes on your octo, could you get both of you to the surface, with safety stops, on your remaining 1000 psi?
It's a NDL dive. 25 cubic feet of gas is plenty to get 2 people up.

It's a NDL dive. 25 cubic feet of gas is plenty to get 2 people up.
For you, and me.....but I would wager there are some on this site that would, in an emergency, suck down the 25 cf pretty quick.....

If you are on an NDL dive and you have a failure you would skip the safety stop as it is not mandatory.

1000 PSI is more than enough.

If you are on an NDL dive and you have a failure you would skip the safety stop as it is not mandatory.

1000 PSI is more than enough.
That is the failure of "recreational" dive instruction. Every dive is a "decompression" dive and should be treated as such. Coming up like a Polaris missile from 120 when you are right up against the NDL's is a recipe for disaster. But clearly the 8 pages of this thread has taught me, most agencies do not teach proper gas management for a buddy team.

1000 is not "more than enough".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom