Pace of Cave Diving Instructional Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why is it so hard for solo divers to admit that it's a bit more risky than diving with a qualified buddy most of the time?

Some people just don't want to admit what they do is unsafe in any way shape or form. It makes them feel more vulnerable. I admit, I solo dive at times. I understand the increased risks, and try to mitigate those risks by keeping a very conservative dive plan. For OW it is simply shallow easy dives. For caves it's simple mainline short penetrations.

The fact health hasn't cracked the top 5 yet and accounts for the majority of diving accidents these days speaks volumes..

Great point. As a pilot, I am required to get a periodic medical certification, and trying to get technical (or all) divers to do the same would be a great idea!

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

why is it so hard for solo divers to admit that it's a bit more risky than diving with a qualified buddy most of the time?

I think it is because there are times when being with a buddy who is qualified, but not as experienced, can increase your risk. Also The increase in number of possible failure points and complexity vs. the increased redundancy of a buddy make the total risk to an indvidual diver more complex to calculate. Personaly, I agree in the case of evenly experienced dive buddies doing a routine cave dive, they are most likely safer than one of the divers doing the same dive solo.

Last edited:
The fact health hasn't cracked the top 5 yet and accounts for the majority of diving accidents these days speaks volumes.

Health and fitness is huge IMO. I know it does not seem like you are doing much when you are diving, but in reality after a day of diving, I can be butt whooped. Now consider that I run a lot. I am not a marathon runner, but I am in pretty decent shape. In the past four days I have run 2 10K's. However, after a day of diving I can be more tired then after running 6 miles. Yet people who would pass out jogging a quarter of a mile think that diving is the perfect sport for them!

James, your comment about fatigue after a day of diving opens up the discussion of exertion after the dive. MOST of the technical divers I have treated for DCS report strenuous activity before the onset of symptoms. This is usually hauling heavy gear from the dive site. It is a good idea to minimize exertion immediately after the dive. One thing I suggest is using a hand cart or beach roller for transporting gear to and from your vehicle. This will also help prevent back injuries, which I see much more frequently in divers I see.

Last edited:
James, your comment about fatigue after a day of diving open up the discussion of evertion after the dive. MOST of the technical divers I have treated for DCS report strenuous activity before the onset of symptoms. The is usually hauling heavy gear from the dive site. It is a good idea to minimize exertion immediately after the dive. One thing I suggest is using a hand cart or beach roller for transprting gear to and from your vehicle. This will also help prevent back injuries, which I see much more frequently in divers I see.
Not getting obliterated the night before the dive would prevent a lot of DCS cases IMO. Might have prevented a death in a recent case, too, but the community is keeping that hush hush.

Dehydration after alcohol abuse is no secret. I think if someone has poor enough judgement to dive after getting "obliterated", it is really going to be tough to save them from themselves. Even if "the rules" were changed to include health and not drinking heavily the night before a dive, I don't think this type of diver would modify their behavior.

James, your comment about fatigue after a day of diving opens up the discussion of exertion after the dive. MOST of the technical divers I have treated for DCS report strenuous activity before the onset of symptoms. This is usually hauling heavy gear from the dive site. It is a good idea to minimize exertion immediately after the dive. One thing I suggest is using a hand cart or beach roller for transporting gear to and from your vehicle. This will also help prevent back injuries, which I see much more frequently in divers I see.

Oh I agree. I am waht you would refer to as a lazy diver. I do as little as possible. I usually just sit on the surface for about 10-20 minutes after a dive relaxing. After a dive I don't do anything strenuous because of those reasons.

Not getting obliterated the night before the dive would prevent a lot of DCS cases IMO. Might have prevented a death in a recent case, too, but the community is keeping that hush hush.

I agree.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 10:36 AM ----------

I should probably clarify something. When I say I am whooped after a dive, I don't mean that I can't breath and am huffing for breath. I mean that I just want to relax and chill out. It's also not one easy dive that I am referring to. I am basically trying to point out that diving is not some sport where the out of shape can just jump in and expect no physical activity and everything is just peachy.

including you? which recent case

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

ah the death on the doria. now it's not hush hush anymore

I don't mind being "ignorant"...

1. Diving without a recent medical (IE undiagnosed health issues)
  2. Violation of training guidelines
  3. Failure to maintain sufficient breathing gas reserves for the dive
  4. Solo Diving
  5. Diving > 100ft END
  6. Failure to maintain a continuous guideline to the surface.
  7. Improper gear for the dive

These are just as ignorant and meaningless as the original guidelines.

Who's training guidelines? (rhetorical)

Who sets the arbitrary limit of 100ft END? There are divers I would not think twice about diving to 150' on air in a cave with, and some I wouldn't go past 70' on air... so what? Where is your ppO2 rule? How about CO?

Rather than putting diving solo on the list, how about "Diving with an idiot"? That rules a lot of people out from solo dives... and look how many of your "solo deaths" are now ruled out...

Who decides what is "proper" gear? Anything with a "H" on it?

Here is my take:
Exit - A known, personally and recently verified, unambiguous route to fresh air, followable without the use of sight.
Reserves - Enough gas to get you out despite major gear failure AND significant delay.
Redundancy - Buoyancy, lights, gas supplies, etc. Quantity depends on reliability and consequence. (this covers Solo diving)
Knowledge - Know the dive plan. Know everything needed to complete the dive. Know every knowable contingency.
Experience - Have experience in planning similar dives. Have experience in completing similar dives. Have experience (even if simulated) dealing with knowable contingencies.
Competence - Be able to easily perform the skills required to complete the planned dive and knowable contingencies.
Gas - Appropriate for depth (O2, N2, He, CO, CO2).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom