P.A.D.I. allows family members living at the same address to share training manuals!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did keep the gentleman's name for future reference...

This is a new one to me (things do change), I would like the know the name of the person in PADI Training. We are a 5 Star IDC Training Facility and as far as I know, all students are required to have their own books for class. I try to check and be current with all of our updates ( I'm human and could have missed it) but I have not seen a changes.

Sent via PM...

FWIW, his statement was along the lines of "PADI wants to ensure that each certified diver has access to the materials after their certification if they choose to utilitize it for further review or to refresh their memory at a later date. Allowing family members residing in the same house accomplishes that goal as far as PADI is concerned."

You guys have the strangest problems.

Because the FFFFING dive shop required it. seriously I said I have to have 2 DVD's? Dive shop owner "yes PADI requires it".

Holy Shark Chit Batman....

I've never been required to purchase any of the DVDs!

I do buy them but I always get weird looks when the shop offer to let me borrow their library copy.

LDS's/instructors have posted several times in this thread that they've been told by PADI otherwise and they had to each buy books......

To be honest, this is such a non-issue.

I wouldn't even bother asking PADI, the intent of the standards change way-back-when is clearly to stop the use of shops loaning out library copies.

The problem is that people read the words, without reading the meaning.

And it all depends on how you ask the question to PADI. If you ask:

"Should I make every student buy a manual?" then they will clearly say yes, it makes good business sense for everyone if students do. PADI exist as much to support the business side of training as they do for training standards etc.

However, if you ask:

"Are a couple required to have individual manuals for a course provided that they do the KRs independently?" then the answer will be different.

So, if you know what you want the answer to be then you will always ask the question in way that you get the answer back that you expect.

In all the courses I've taken in the last 5 years I was never given nor asked to buy a video or DVD, DM included (presently taking that). But I do have about 7 of them... For the Knowledge Reviews I was always allowed to Xerox them to hand in (so they-with my answers- can stay in my books). So why would one need 2 copies of any manuals? If a LDS required it, I would balk.

I got it straight from PADI's training department an was even told to give his name to any dive shop instructor who told me otherwise. That works for me.

Heck even my favorite instructor thought otherwise which is what prompted me to call PADI.

I'm just trying to share the information I received directly from PADI with fellow divers, if you don't believe me then use the info I provided in the first post and confirm it with PADI since you apparently think I'm a liar.

Ok, I just called PADI as well. Here is a summary of the conversation:

Me: In regards to families, does each member of the family need to have their own copy of the OW manual with original knowledge reviews, or can the family have just one manual and photocopy the blank knowledge reviews.

PADI: Per the standards, each student therefore each family member is supposed to have a seperate manaul. We understand that it is the case that many families will share all of the information to keep costs down.

Me: Ok.

PADI: Hold on, let me ask someone.

(long pause with bad PADI propaganda hold message)

PADI: I received conflicting answers based on the person I ask. I need to get a definitive answer on this. How may I contact you?

Me: My email is ....

I'll post the contents of the email once I get it.

The wording in the latest instructor manual is:

Ensure that student divers have a personal set of current PADI materials for study and use during the course and for reference afterward...

It's been that way (or very similar) for several years.

Our shop, with PADI guidance, has always interpreted that to allow folks with the same address to use one book.

I had to buy one for me and one for my son. He was not allowed to use mine at the time. Course I was ignorant of a great deal then. My students need the workbooks, tables, and a copy of the manual we use. They can buy the manual from me or on Amazon. I don;t give a rat's butt. I advise familes that they can share as long as they know that everyone will have access. Couples need one. More than that a second is nice but not necessary as long as everyone is prepared. I do not have to use the workbooks but they are nice and do a good job of refreshing memories and aiding in the study process. Of course we can also have custom ones made to suit our style and local area if need be. I make up my own quizzes and keep them and the final exam. We have bank of 160 some questions we can draw from and add to the final as well as add our own to suit the local conditions. There is also stuff I cover that is not in the manual so they need to keep decent notes. Manuals are nice but I have extensive notes from all my classes and expect students to do the same. Not everything they need is in the books.

Family members who live at the same address are allowed to share the manuals and provide their own answer sheets for the knowledge reviews.

As far as im aware this has been the case since mid 2006. Every dive centre i've worked for or have knowledge of has used the "same address" policy since that requirement to own manuals was brought in during that year. It was also confirmed by 2 course directors at that time too so this isn't new, its near 4 years old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom