Oxygen Sensor Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting presentation on redundancy and voting logic and how it should affect replacement and monitoring protocols.

We discussed the video in a different thread. While the video contains good ideas, one could debate the assumptions made there, e.g., what is the exact degree of statistical dependence between the sensors, and the definition of "failure," and "failure's" implications for trained divers.

Please do not get me wrong - I am all for solid state sensors for multiple reasons, but that video requires substantial analysis, thought, and debate. Also, there is a bit of irony there--Poseidon CCRs are known for locking out divers due to somewhat subjected pre-check failures.

I am not advocating the voting logic implemented by Poseidon. I found the discussion on statistical redundancy interesting:

1719943962145.png

This is what I am taking away for myself is:
  1. Avoid sensors from same manufacturing batch
  2. Avoid installing sensors at the same time (same aging profile)
All others are impossible or impractical to adopt with my setup.

@LFMarm, also, consider that manufacturers are aware of statistical dependencies and may minimize by rotating part suppliers or batches. In many industries that is a standard process that reduces operations risk, so two sensors bought from the same manufacturer at the same time may have ingredients from different batches.

@LFMarm, also, consider that manufacturers are aware of statistical dependencies and may minimize by rotating part suppliers or batches. In many industries that is a standard process that reduces operations risk, so two sensors bought from the same manufacturer at the same time may have ingredients from different batches.

We discussed the video in a different thread. While the video contains good ideas, one could debate the assumptions made there, e.g., what is the exact degree of statistical dependence between the sensors, and the definition of "failure," and "failure's" implications for trained divers.

Please do not get me wrong - I am all for solid state sensors for multiple reasons, but that video requires substantial analysis, thought, and debate. Also, there is a bit of irony there--Poseidon CCRs are known for locking out divers due to somewhat subjected pre-check failures.
I’ve been diving the Se7en since 2017, and have never been “locked out”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom