OW Certified. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrystalWater

Reaction score
This is my first post. But i have been reading and following the forums for some time now and have gained a great amount of knowledge and insite into diving from these forums so thank you to all who participate and add insite!

My brother and I got OW Certified last October and due to some family issues we were unable to go on our dive trip last fall. Now it is seven months later and I have not dived since my OW certification. I really want to get back into the water so we have been thinking about making a trip up to Dutch Springs Scuba Park (http://www.dutchsprings.com/scuba.htm) but i have been feeling nervous about getting into the water since this would be my first dive outside of OW certification where we had two instructers with us. They have a relatively shallow dive there where you dive their sunken firetruck that is at a max of 25' feet.

So my question is do you guys think it would be wise to pay the dive shop to take a refresher course to help feel more confident and less nervous or just take it slow and do the shallow dive and repractice techniques when in the water? Thanks everyone!

Not being comfortable is a huge catalyst if things go wrong. It can also lead you to think something is wrong with everything is okay.

I'm not sure about a refresher course (simply because I don't know what they cover), but I'd say getting in the water with an experienced diver you trust is well worth it.

I'd recommend a refresher but, that's just me. If you don't feel confident enough without an instructor with you, that tells me you need it.

Mchael

Not sure where you are exactly, but maybe look into a Discover Scuba type of thing like Padi runs. They put you in a pool, and in full gear, and let you get a sense of what its like. I bet once you get wet, and start to descend, everything will come right back to you.

I spent about 6 years out of diving, and my first dive back was a boat dive to 85', and it was like I never stopped diving. In the two weeks leading up to the dive I read thru my old dive class book, and read up lots here.

Its the old thing like they say about riding a bike, you never forget.

I don't know where you are, but there's a shop in Rye NH called Atlantic Aquasports. (http://www.atlanticaquasport.com/) I have heard good things about them. According to their website, they offer free refresher courses in their on-site saltwater pool.
Again, I don't know about this first hand, but they have an awesome reputation. Perhaps a shop near you may offer a similar deal.

After my wife and I got our OW. We immediately signed up for a Navigation Class and then a Night Diving Class. We did it to, a) learn some new skills and b), to continue to grow in confidence in our new found skills under the watchful eye of a trusted instructor.
In both classes they began with doing a basic skills review. So, if you can get this type of class you would be getting some skills review and some new skills to boot.
Also, the first time we went out to do "our own thing" we went out to the lake where our LDS was doing an OW class so we were still around a group of people we knew and who knew us and our current skill level.
Just my .02

Or, see about hiring a local DM to dive with you one day...??

CrystalWater:
This is my first post. But i have been reading and following the forums for some time now and have gained a great amount of knowledge and insite into diving from these forums so thank you to all who participate and add insite!

My brother and I got OW Certified last October and due to some family issues we were unable to go on our dive trip last fall. Now it is seven months later and I have not dived since my OW certification. I really want to get back into the water so we have been thinking about making a trip up to Dutch Springs Scuba Park (http://www.dutchsprings.com/scuba.htm) but i have been feeling nervous about getting into the water since this would be my first dive outside of OW certification where we had two instructers with us. They have a relatively shallow dive there where you dive their sunken firetruck that is at a max of 25' feet.

So my question is do you guys think it would be wise to pay the dive shop to take a refresher course to help feel more confident and less nervous or just take it slow and do the shallow dive and repractice techniques when in the water? Thanks everyone!

Re-contact your training shop/instructor....many will give you a refresher class at no charge since you used them for your original cert.. They want to keep you as a customer and help you dive safe.

CrystalWater:

Well a dry spell right of certification is never a good way to start but that's life.

I think a lot of it comes down to how comfortable each of you were at certification time. If you really felt comfortable then just taking it easy for the first handfull of dives would not be totally wreckless.

If one of you felt like a little more mask time with an pro would have been good then get someone to go with you to ensure a positive experieince. This could be an instructor, Dive Master or simply a mentor.

Be true to yourselves. If it's nervousness as oposed to excitement then get assistnace to make sure it's a positive experince. This is supposed to be fun. Doing a refresher in a local dive shop pool may be just the boost you need.

Pete

I like the idea of going back to the shop where you got certified if possible. If nothing else, you can get in their pool and practice skills. I have a friend who did that before every dive trip for a couple of years after getting certified. The shop was always happy to have one of their former students coming in to use the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom