Question Does higher level shop offer higher teaching quality for OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mouka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello everyone! I‘m a newbie considering learning PADI OW courses. I’m planning to choose a dive shop in Malaysia to start my courses, and find there are so many dive shops which are hard for me to choose from. I also find, according to the PADI websites, they have different rank level, like CDC, 5start IDC, 5start Dive Center, Dive Center...

So my question is: does higher level shop offer higher teaching quality for OW, probably? For example, a CDC will definitely offer higher quality courses and more strict standards than a 5 start IDC, and so on.

Thanks for your reply! If I've made any mistakes, feel free to point them out!

No.

The Padi star stuff is nonsense. If you don't locate an instructor by local word of mouth, it's just luck of the draw.

I'm using multiple instructors, and multiple dive shops, throughout training beyond OW. To find the best instructors.
Thanks for your advice, it's very helpful for me !:)

Find a dive center that teaches the ENTIRE course, from the first pool session until the end neutrally buoyant and trimmed. Do not go to any place that will ever put you on your knees

Ask the trick question "if I'm nervous can I do some skills on my knees?" Go to a place that will take the steps to ensure that is unnecessary.

If you want a high-quality basic scuba education, you aren't going to get it from PADI or any of the other popular agencies. The programs of those agencies are designed to provide you with the most minimal basic education to be somewhat safe underwater. Not competent. Not skilled. Your Open Water certificate will be a participation trophy.

If you want quality basic scuba education, look at Global Underwater Explorers. They teach to real standards and expect you to learn real skills.

Ah come on, again with this gue stuff....it is way over hyped!

You say that as if I haven't experienced both PADI and GUE training. I'll say it again:

PADI certifications are participation trophies.

GUE certifications are really earned.

The star thing is meaningless.

It's all about the instructor. Shops that teach and support technical diving or are owned by serious, active technical/cave divers generally will teach even the beginner courses better. But top of the line instruction will cost a bit more, you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom